Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2021, 12:13 PM

9 posts, read 17,877 times

Advertisements

Hi all,
Moving to Minneapolis and looking for apartments in good school district.
My daughter will step in to K and son in to 5th Grade. My office will be north of Minneapolis working for MEdtronic. Any suggestions on good Indian community and options for good schools.

Thanks
Vimal
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2021, 04:23 PM

5,831 posts, read 7,707,478 times
Plymouth has a very vibrant Indian community, a number of nice apartments, and the western part of it is in the excellent Wayzata school district. It’s about 1/2 hour drive from Plymouth to Fridley. The eastern part of Plymouth is closer but the Robbinsdale schools are not nearly as good.

Old 01-14-2021, 07:37 AM

6,541 posts, read 7,121,664 times
Look for apartments within St Anthony, great school system and Medtronic is close by. Also anywhere within Mounds View school district. This complex in Shoreview has many people from India who work at Boston Scientific, plus Shoreview is within Mounds View school district, and Medtronic is not a far drive away. My daughter and wife worked across the street from this complex at Hill-Rom prior to COVID, now it’s work from home full time.

This also would be great location to network within that industry.

There are also newer apartments within in this area as the one I posted is an older complex.

4138 Lexington Ave N
Shoreview, MN 55126

Last edited by wamer27; 01-14-2021 at 07:53 AM..

Old 01-14-2021, 10:48 AM

2,578 posts, read 2,067,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wamer27 View Post
Look for apartments within St Anthony, great school system and Medtronic is close by. Also anywhere within Mounds View school district. This complex in Shoreview has many people from India who work at Boston Scientific, plus Shoreview is within Mounds View school district, and Medtronic is not a far drive away. My daughter and wife worked across the street from this complex at Hill-Rom prior to COVID, now it’s work from home full time.

This also would be great location to network within that industry.

There are also newer apartments within in this area as the one I posted is an older complex.

4138 Lexington Ave N
Shoreview, MN 55126

OP - note that in Minnesota, public school district (PSD) lines do NOT necessarily line up with city boundaries. Especially in the Twin Cities metro. That is important if you are considering public schools in your decision.

For example, Mounds View is a city in Minnesota. There is also the Mounds View PSD, which extends into several other communities, either the entire city or portions of other cities.

So if you are looking at a place in Shoreview, for example, you need to check in which PSDs that place is (the Mounds View PSD or the Shoreview PSD serve most homes in Shoreview, but I have a co-worker living in Shoreview whose home is in the Roseville PSD).

People growing up in Minnesota ... well, grew up with it. In other parts of the country, where that is not the model (where PSD and city or county boundaries are typically the same), it may be unfamiliar.

TL;DR: if a certain public school district is important in your decision, know that many Twin Cities communities are divided among two or more districts - that will help you narrow your search.

Old 01-14-2021, 02:48 PM

6,541 posts, read 7,121,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodburyWoody View Post
OP - note that in Minnesota, public school district (PSD) lines do NOT necessarily line up with city boundaries. Especially in the Twin Cities metro. That is important if you are considering public schools in your decision.

For example, Mounds View is a city in Minnesota. There is also the Mounds View PSD, which extends into several other communities, either the entire city or portions of other cities.

So if you are looking at a place in Shoreview, for example, you need to check in which PSDs that place is (the Mounds View PSD or the Shoreview PSD serve most homes in Shoreview, but I have a co-worker living in Shoreview whose home is in the Roseville PSD).

People growing up in Minnesota ... well, grew up with it. In other parts of the country, where that is not the model (where PSD and city or county boundaries are typically the same), it may be unfamiliar.

TL;DR: if a certain public school district is important in your decision, know that many Twin Cities communities are divided among two or more districts - that will help you narrow your search.
Sure, this makes sense. I live in Roseville yet I’m in Mounds View school district. And within Mounds View district, depending on which elementary or middle school you pick determines if someone goes to Irondale or Mounds View High Schools. It’s confusing enough for me being almost a lifelong resident, yet someone moving here it has to be hard to grasp.

Old 01-14-2021, 02:53 PM

588 posts, read 562,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodburyWoody View Post

Yes, the boundaries do not follow city lines; however, the OP needs to be ware that the bolded part is not accurate information. There is no such thing as Shoreview Public schools and most of Shoreview is served by Mounds View Public Schools.

https://www.shoreviewmn.gov/our-city/schools

Quote:
Mounds View School District and Roseville School District serve the students of Shoreview. Most students in Shoreview attend Mounds View schools.

Last edited by MsBall; 01-14-2021 at 03:53 PM..

Old 01-14-2021, 03:04 PM

3,773 posts, read 5,322,770 times
My favorite Indian grocery store is in the Arden Hills mall: Surya India Foods. Just around the corner is Frattalone's Ace Hardware. Two of the most essential stops in one's life, so close together.

I would also suggest the Shoreview/Vadnais Heights/Arden Hills area. I own a house in Shoreview but don't live there yet. There are apartment complexes everywhere, and the school districts are highly rated (Mounds View and Irondale).

Old 01-14-2021, 08:13 PM

2,578 posts, read 2,067,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsBall View Post
Yes, the boundaries do not follow city lines; however, the OP needs to be ware that the bolded part is not accurate information. There is no such thing as Shoreview Public schools and most of Shoreview is served by Mounds View Public Schools.

https://www.shoreviewmn.gov/our-city/schools
Yup, you’re right. I messed that up. I would edit if allowed.

Thanks for the save, Ms. Ball.

Old 01-14-2021, 11:34 PM

298 posts, read 750,702 times
Teak is right about Surya India Foods, the new grocery store inside the Arden Plaza Shopping Center at 3531 Lexington Avenue North in Arden Hills 55126. A number of Asian Indian families/South Asians have moved to Shoreview, Arden Hills, North Oaks precisely because the close proximity to both of Medtronic Corporation's two main campuses in Fridley and one in Mounds View.

An early poster also correctly stated the Boston Scientific campus on the Arden Hills side of Lexington Avenue and Land O' Lakes have attracted talent from India to the area. The two elementary schools in Shoreview: Island Lake Elementary and Turtle Lake Elementary both feed into Chippewa Middle School in North Oaks and Mounds View High School in Arden Hills. Keep in mind those living in the City of Mounds View do not attend Mounds View High, they go to Irondale High School in New Brighton.

Three previous posters have very clearly pointed out that school district boundaries in MN do not allign at all with city boundaries or counties, so definately click the link Ms Ball posted for the city of Shoreview website where you can connect with both Mounds View School District #621 and Roseville Area School District #623.

Other suburbs with sizeable Asian Indian/South Asian populations include: Maple Grove and Plymouth in the northwest metro which both have Medtronic employees who drive I-694 to Central Avenue in Fridley or MN State Highway 610 to the Mounds View campus along I-35W and US Highway 10 West. One of the earlier posters made a good point to check out the differences between the Wayzata School District #284, Robbinsdale School District #281, and Osseo Area School District #279.

The Hindu Temple of Minnesota is visible off of I-94 in Maple Grove. 10530 Troy Lane North, Maple Grove 55311. Elsewhere the southwest metro has Edina and Shakopee with sizable Asian Indian populations. Edina has some recently opened Hindu Temples as well.

In the east metro you'll find growing a population in Woodbury and Oakdale due to its close proximity to the 3M Corporate Headquarters in nearby Maplewood. Fresh India Deli and Grocery will open later this year at 441 Commerce Drive South, Woodbury 55125, across from Sam's Club and Super Target. Spice Bazaar has been at 1580 Woodland Drive South, Woodbury 55125, near I-494 and Valley Creek Road for a while. The Oakdale Cinema on I-694 and Tenth Street North used to have one movie screen devoted entirely to Bollywood films, pre-pandemic.

Old 01-15-2021, 08:41 AM

542 posts, read 447,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smrroni View Post
Hi all,
Moving to Minneapolis and looking for apartments in good school district.
My daughter will step in to K and son in to 5th Grade. My office will be north of Minneapolis working for MEdtronic. Any suggestions on good Indian community and options for good schools.

Thanks
Vimal
https://iimn.org/publication/finding...den%20Prairie.

Minnesota Population
The Indian population first arrived in Minnesota in significant numbers in the 1980s. The Indian population is now estimated at 10,000 with large numbers living in Eden Prairie.

I live in Eden Prairie and my neighbor 2 houses over is Indian. I asked him last night where the best suburbs for Indians. He laughed and said Eden prairie no doubt. I told him about this site, so he might post and give your greater insight than I can.

I see, more specifically, around Purgetory Creek near Columbine Road area, many Indians walking on the paths. There are 2 Indian grocery stores that cater to brands and types of food familiar to Indians(asian)- We have used both grocery stores and they are busy. Two Indian fusion style pizza places have opened in the last year and there are at least three (pre-covid) Indian style restaurants.

My neighbor claims Eden Prairie schools have at least 5% Indian population. I have no links or facts to back that up. You might want to call Eden Prairie school administrations and see if they will provide you with that information.

The problem with living in Eden Prairie would be the commute. I used to work in Fridley roughly 10+ years ago and it would take me 30 minutes to get to work. I left for work around 6:20am though. Coming back was about the same time (HWY 62 to HWY100 worked very well at that time period).

The best suburb for Indians would probably be Eden Prairie. The best place for you, if you don't like longer commutes, might be what some other have posted.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul