Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2020, 11:22 PM

6 posts, read 13,655 times

Advertisements

Given all the social unrest of Minneapolis, is St. Paul going to be a better option to live now? I want to buy a house for around $300,000 in either south Minneapolis or west St. Paul. I think St. Paul is the better choice. Tell me I'm wrong.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2020, 06:39 AM

6,540 posts, read 7,121,664 times
I’d look at Mendota Heights over West St Paul.

Old 12-17-2020, 08:45 AM

6 posts, read 13,655 times
Oops, I mean like Highline Park area to I-94, not the actual “West St. Paul” my bad.

Old 12-17-2020, 08:47 AM

10,244 posts, read 16,366,293 times
I’m guessing the OP is referring to the area of St. Paul proper that includes Highland Park and Macalester Groveland. Please correct me if I’m wrong. It gets confusing because there is a separate suburb to the south of downtown along Robert St called “West St. Paul.” Equally confusing is that the city’s “west side” is the predominantly Hispanic area that is geographically the southern portion of the city but sits on the western bank of the Mississippi River. Again, I’m going to assume that you aren’t referring to either of these places.

So if we are talking about South Minneapolis or Highland Park/Macelester Goveland area of St. Paul, they are both good choices. You can get more house for your money in St. Paul. If there is no impact from a commute standpoint then I wouldn’t hesitate in considering that area.

I live in Minneapolis and for me civil unrest is a non-factor. Yes, Lake St in Minneapolis took the brunt of the damage, but the area around University/Snelling in St. Paul saw plenty of damage too. Civil unrest was definitely not isolated to Minneapolis. It’s also a temporary issue. We will rebuild. The area at Nicollet and Lake looks like a war zone right now but the KMart is going to be bulldozed and once they open the street back up the area will be redeveloped and will end up being nicer than it was (gentrification anyone?)

Anyways, I personally love it here in Minneapolis, but St. Paul is a decent second choice for me.

Old 12-17-2020, 11:55 AM

20 posts, read 24,000 times
Is this question being asked as if civil unrest is a daily occurrence in Minneapolis and will be for the foreseeable future? Or that the possibility of future civil unrest may occur in the future? If the later, good luck finding any city in this country right now where the possibility of civil unrest is non-existent.

Old 12-17-2020, 01:23 PM

5,831 posts, read 7,707,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruz Azul Guy View Post
I’m guessing the OP is referring to the area of St. Paul proper that includes Highland Park and Macalester Groveland. Please correct me if I’m wrong. It gets confusing because there is a separate suburb to the south of downtown along Robert St called “West St. Paul.” Equally confusing is that the city’s “west side” is the predominantly Hispanic area that is geographically the southern portion of the city but sits on the western bank of the Mississippi River. Again, I’m going to assume that you aren’t referring to either of these places.
I think you’re right in your guess on where the OP is asking about, though west St Paul refers to the part of the city of St Paul that is south of the Mississippi River (across from downtown STP) and north of Annapolis St. South of Annapolis St is the city of West St Paul. West Side
St Paul, MN
https://goo.gl/maps/NTmvLkTESQY4UXHZ7

So if the OP means Highland Park/ Mac-Groveland, I’d say it was a tossup. If they actually are asking about west St Paul, I’d take Minneapolis.

Old 12-19-2020, 01:55 PM

162 posts, read 155,148 times
You are aware that St. Paul also had its fair share of civil unrest at the same time as Minneapolis, right? And things are pretty settled in both cities by now and have been for a while. I think that you should choose which city based on which one you'd prefer to live in. Explore different areas and look at housing on some real estate apps to see what type of housing style exists there and at what price point you can get them for in that area. They are both great cities and different in their own ways. Personally, neighborhoods are more important to me. I would say that there are parts of Minneapolis I'd rather than live than certain parts of St. Paul, and there are parts of St. Paul that I'd rather live than parts of Minneapolis. I just bought a house in South Minneapolis this fall and am happy with that decision. I would have been happy to get a house in St. Paul as well though. Both have a lot to offer - I would base your decision on which one you'd like living in better instead of civil unrest history. 300k can get you a decent place in either city, though I'd say St. Paul is generally a little cheaper, but again, that varies neighborhood to neighborhood.

Old 12-29-2020, 10:44 AM

10,098 posts, read 4,084,826 times
Maybe just slightly. Our population is around 285K, Minnapolis around 400K....St. Paul around 36 homicides this year; Mini around 80.

These places were nice places 40 years ago; the cuckery that has been allowed to take over these places has absolute transformed them..and not for the better. It's such a tragedy to see the Cities have gone so far down the drain.

Old 12-29-2020, 03:56 PM

357 posts, read 443,522 times
Default St. Paul = Pumpernickel, Minneapolis = Wonderbread

When I moved here 50 years ago people told me that "St. Paul is like Pumpernickel and Minneapolis is like Wonderbread" and that "Minneapolis is the city of class and St. Paul the city of charm". It's really somewhat true.

A big difference between Minneapolis and St Paul is that St Paul is more neighborhood centric and provincial. Were you to move to Highland Park it's highly likely that your neighbors have been there for decades and grew up a few blocks away. Personally, I've found living in St Paul to be very comfortable with the advantage of having Minneapolis 15 minutes away for higher energy entertainment and bigger city features.

Old 01-02-2021, 10:43 AM

1,348 posts, read 876,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kavalier View Post
Maybe just slightly. Our population is around 285K, Minnapolis around 400K....St. Paul around 36 homicides this year; Mini around 80.

These places were nice places 40 years ago; the cuckery that has been allowed to take over these places has absolute transformed them..and not for the better. It's such a tragedy to see the Cities have gone so far down the drain.
St Paul has a population of about 310,000 and Mpls is 430,000
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul