Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-13-2020, 12:46 PM

27 posts, read 69,577 times

Advertisements

Is anyone aware of retirement communities in the metro area that offer a combination of detached housing and step-up/nursing home/ memory care?

As my parents age, I am thinking that something like my wife's grandparents had back east would work well. That set up was detached/semi-detached independent living initially where one could then step up to apartment or even nursing home level care as health and/or mental state warranted.

Any thoughts or ideas would be welcome

thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2020, 02:55 PM

2,893 posts, read 2,140,733 times
the masonic home is the only thing that immediately comes to mind. I'm sure others will chime in.

Old 10-13-2020, 04:03 PM

3,778 posts, read 5,324,471 times
The metro area is full of congregate housing and nursing homes. Same with outstate Minnesota also. Where I live, we put my mother into congregate housing when my father passed away, and then 4 years later we put her into a nursing home. Both were attached to the local hospital so one can go back and forth to appointments without ever leaving the building complex.

Just do a web search on "congregate housing" + "name of a Minnesota city or metro suburb". You will find them.

A lady that we know down in Texas did a study on the old age options available in the different states and said that Minnesota was likely at the top, #1 or #2 in taking care of the aged. Well, we certainly pay a lot of taxes, so something must be good about that, eh?

Just be warned. Since medical assistance is available to residents who cannot afford end-of-life care, they front load the charges when you first move in expecting that the state will pick up the fees once you run out of money. Thus, they go back several years in doing the financials. You can't sell your house and give the money to the kids and then move into old-age housing and expect the state to cover all of your fees. Fees for congregate housing were reasonable, in the range of $1,500 to $2,000 per month (this is outside the Metro). But the nursing home ran between $8,000 and $13,000 per month until my mother passed away, a month or two before all her money was gone.

Old 10-13-2020, 04:14 PM

3,778 posts, read 5,324,471 times
OP, here is an example.

https://www.edenprairieseniorliving.com/

Three levels: independent, assisted, and memory care.

I know that you asked about "detached" living, but in Minnesota you don't want seniors walking outdoors in the winter so congregate housing is usually all under one roof or at least with covered and heated hallways connecting the buildings.

Old 10-15-2020, 08:55 PM

6,613 posts, read 16,578,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiltmadoc View Post
Is anyone aware of retirement communities in the metro area that offer a combination of detached housing and step-up/nursing home/ memory care?

As my parents age, I am thinking that something like my wife's grandparents had back east would work well. That set up was detached/semi-detached independent living initially where one could then step up to apartment or even nursing home level care as health and/or mental state warranted.

Any thoughts or ideas would be welcome

thanks!
Johanna Shores in Arden Hills is a place like that.

Old 11-23-2020, 10:46 PM

27 posts, read 37,580 times
Default Boutwell’s Landing

In Oak Park Heights, run by Presbyterian Homes, offers townhomes, Independent Living, Assisted Living and Nursing Home care. Didn’t require a buy in, but parts have waiting lists.

Old 11-29-2020, 09:22 PM

38 posts, read 30,393 times
There's a giant senior development being built by the mall in Eden Prairie.

Old 11-30-2020, 07:28 AM

298 posts, read 750,802 times
Del Webb has opened "Bellwether by Del Webb" in Corcoran, just west of Maple Grove; this is their first 55+ active adult community in Minnesota.

"Kinsley by Del Webb" is being constructed now in Chaska with their first houses and amenities expected to be completed by early 2021, in this second 55+ community.

Not sure if Del Webb is planning to purchase land and build in the eastern half of the Twin Cities where the population is older than the western half.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul