Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-25-2020, 08:29 AM

25 posts, read 23,379 times

Advertisements

Helllo,

I’m thinking of moving my family to the area from Dallas. We moved to Dallas from Colorado and we love the outdoors and i really enjoy mountain biking and Dallas really doesn’t support those activities. Can anyone give me some feedback on how accessible mountain biking and hiking are from the metro areas? I’d really love to be able to bike to a trailhead from home or have a short drive to take my little boys out to nature.

Also, what housing areas would you recommend that would be most conducive to outdoor activities but still close to the metro areas? Our budget would be max 900k but I like to keep our housing budget as small as possible while still having the option for good public schooling and a safe area.

Sorry for being so vague, but I’m just starting the preliminary research on the area.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2020, 08:49 AM

5,831 posts, read 7,713,325 times
There are plenty of opportunities for biking in the area, though it’s more road and trail biking in the metro area. This link might be helpful. https://www.morcmtb.org/forums/trailconditions.php

Northwestern Wisconsin is easily accessible from the Twin Cities. When we used to mountain bike, these were our favorite trails. In the winter, you can Nordic ski the same trails. https://www.cambatrails.org/

On the housing, 900k is a big budget for this area. A lot of people start with where they will work, what amenities and surroundings they’re looking for, and any specific needs for schools. You’re not going to have a problem finding anything, but it’s probably better to narrow it down a bit to get some really useful suggestions.

Good luck on your research.

Last edited by Glenfield; 05-25-2020 at 08:58 AM..

Old 05-26-2020, 12:04 AM

6,560 posts, read 7,139,634 times
Check out North Oaks, nice community almost all of it is within dense forest and large lots. It’s in a great school system (Mounds View) It’s also to the north of either downtown, thus quicker to get up north past Duluth to north shore/northeast where all the best hiking and biking are.

Old 05-26-2020, 07:21 PM

3,715 posts, read 3,703,367 times
The Twin Cities is great for this kind of thing. The metro is just as outdoorsy as Denver, but you sub the mountains for lakes. But a very outdoorsy populace. Obviously its very flat, so the trails lack some of the elevation change you may be used to.

Check out:

Elm Creek
Lebanon Hills
Murphy - hanrehan
Theodore Wirth

In general, most of the suburbs have very good schools. I have a personal bias towards the area near Lebanon Hills, but really you can't go wrong being near any of the above.

Old 05-27-2020, 08:37 AM

2,579 posts, read 2,071,136 times
900k will go a loooooooong way here for a SFH. Seriously.

What I always bring up with people looking to move here is to be aware that public School Districts/boundaries are not tied to city/town boundaries. This is different than anywhere I have lived outside of Minnesota, where typically you live in XXX city and there is the XXX school district that serves that city.

Here, you may live in XXX city but it all depends on where in XXX that you live - students living in XXX may be enrolled in up to three or more different districts (Eagan, for example, was in the 191, 196 and 197 SDs when we lived there). In Woodbury now, we have students living within the city limits who attend three different SDs (833, 622 and 634). That elementary school five blocks from the house you are looking at my not be in the same SD as the house.

Worth knowing if a targeted public SD is high on your list.

Old 05-27-2020, 08:46 AM

2,579 posts, read 2,071,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wamer27 View Post
Check out North Oaks, nice community almost all of it is within dense forest and large lots. It’s in a great school system (Mounds View) It’s also to the north of either downtown, thus quicker to get up north past Duluth to north shore/northeast where all the best hiking and biking are.
If getting up to Duluth for the day or weekend is high on your list (I love the North Shore, Duluth on up to Canada), wamer27 offers good advice to consider being on the north end of the metro. Getting across the Twin Cities, especially during rush hour, can add easily add an hour to a drive (in any direction, to be honest). And it won't get any better in the coming decades as the metro is expected to continue to grow.

However, that does not take into account work commute. If a job is in Eagan, you don't want to be driving down there from North Oaks or St. Louis Park or Woodbury daily.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul