Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2018, 10:11 AM

442 posts, read 593,992 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodburyWoody View Post
Amtrak.

Not kidding. From Union Depot in St. Paul to Union Station in Chicago, it is eight hours. Leaves StP daily at 8 a.m., return train leaves Chicago daily at 2 p.m. Just grab Lyft or Ubers in Chicago when needed.

Two bags at no charge (you can add more bags at a charge); much, much more comfortable than a plane; hang out in the observation car when you go through the Mississippi River valley; grab a drink from the lounge and play games in the observation car or take a nap in your seat (fully recline, lots of room, electrical outlets at your seat:

https://www.amtrak.com/empire-builder-train

I will never drive from the Twin Cities to Chicago again, unless I need to make a stop along the way. Though I might drive down to Red Wing and take the train from there rather than St. Paul.
I used to live near Chicago and had to wait for friends/relatives to arrive on that train a few times. It was literally never less than two hours late.

Going into the city, take 90/94 to Rockford, 39 south to 88, 88 to downtown. Going around the city, same route, but take 294 around the suburbs to avoid downtown.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2021, 05:09 PM

1 posts, read 501 times
Default Best Seats on the Train?

Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodburyWoody View Post
Amtrak.

Not kidding. From Union Depot in St. Paul to Union Station in Chicago, it is eight hours. Leaves StP daily at 8 a.m., return train leaves Chicago daily at 2 p.m. Just grab Lyft or Ubers in Chicago when needed.

Two bags at no charge (you can add more bags at a charge); much, much more comfortable than a plane; hang out in the observation car when you go through the Mississippi River valley; grab a drink from the lounge and play games in the observation car or take a nap in your seat (fully recline, lots of room, electrical outlets at your seat:

[url]https://www.amtrak.com/empire-builder-train[/url]

I will never drive from the Twin Cities to Chicago again, unless I need to make a stop along the way. Though I might drive down to Red Wing and take the train from there rather than St. Paul.
Where should we sit? Upper or Lower? I am going to take the train with my son, per your recommendation. I would never have thought of it. THANKS.

Old 01-17-2021, 07:54 PM

6,560 posts, read 7,143,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMS_ View Post
Where should we sit? Upper or Lower? I am going to take the train with my son, per your recommendation. I would never have thought of it. THANKS.
Upper would be a better view.

Old 01-18-2021, 12:23 PM

2,579 posts, read 2,071,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMS_ View Post

The times we have taken Amtrak - including to/from Chicago - we had unreserved seats, so you were guaranteed a space but not a particular seat. It was not issue for the three of us as we could always get two side-by-side and sometimes three of four across (two seats-aisle-two seats).

For the MSP to Chicago and return runs, we sat on the upper level. I don't recall lower level being an option on that train for the MSP-Chicago tickets as I think the cars for us (the passengers getting on and off within 8 or 10 hours) did not have seating in the lower as it was used for the snack bar, a few tables, bathrooms and luggage. At least that was the case the times I have gone on that run and back. The only time in the lower was for the snack bar (not sure if that is open during COVID - worth checking into) and bathrooms.

But other cars I saw had seating on upper and the sleepers on the lower.

This was all before COVID, so you want to check to see if things have changed (is reserved seating now in place, are the snack bar and dining car operating, observation car availability, etc.). When I have taking an Amtrack with an observation car, it has had seating facing out the sides as well as booths and sometimes drink availability. It is a good place to play card games, take snacks (you could take snacks with you on the train, plenty of people do).

Lower level has less sway side-to-side, but it really was never an issue on the upper level for me.

Old 01-18-2021, 02:33 PM

5,831 posts, read 7,714,614 times
$60 round trip on the Megabus. 8-1/2 hours overnight.

https://us.megabus.com/journey-plann...ated=0&sc=null

Old 01-25-2021, 11:04 AM
Status: "Do not pass GO, do not collect $300 (used to be $200)" (set 11 days ago)

600 posts, read 274,325 times
I think the train delays are because freight has more priority than passengers... I remember basically stopping several times so that freight can pass. But if you just expect a delay upfront, the train experience is pretty good (at least it was back in normal times).

Also I'm sad that no one mentioned driving scenic Highway 61 along the Mississippi... green of summer, colors of fall, and snowscape of winter are all great as you wind along the river for a while.

Last edited by ElectronicOverlord; 01-25-2021 at 11:08 AM.. Reason: Oops - 61 not 51. It's been awhile
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul