Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2017, 09:51 PM

3,346 posts, read 1,267,783 times

Advertisements

As a tilesetter here in California, I have been very tempted to move to Minneapolis where wages are the same as here, but cost of living is a fraction what it is here. At the moment, I am trying to get into another career that pays better, but if that doesn't work out, Minneapolis is my backup.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2017, 07:27 AM

264 posts, read 313,726 times
Is the supply of plumbers' and electricians' licenses in Minnesota, or Minneapolis only, constrained by any regulation?

Old 10-10-2017, 11:53 AM

442 posts, read 593,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pvoyd View Post
Is the supply of plumbers' and electricians' licenses in Minnesota, or Minneapolis only, constrained by any regulation?
The supply is not constrained; it's not like taxi medallions. There are additional requirements (beyond the state license) for Minneapolis for plumbers. Not sure about electricians.

Old 10-10-2017, 03:03 PM

2,330 posts, read 3,808,212 times
It is constrained by the labor market, there are more job openings than there are skilled workers looking for jobs.

Old 10-10-2017, 04:56 PM

264 posts, read 313,726 times
While there is not a limited number of licenses (like taxi medallions in NYC), state requirements certainly reduce the supply of (at least) plumber labor. I looked up state regulations - 4 years/7000 hours of apprenticeship is required before an apprentice plumber can even apply for a journeyman license.

I am not implying that plumbing does not require intelligence and expertise, having done (and botched and recovered) some home plumbing jobs. However, expertise and experience required to be a good plumber are probably comparable or less to those needed for a good car mechanic. I am not aware of similar state regulations on mechanics.

Old 09-27-2020, 10:49 AM

10,098 posts, read 4,083,485 times
It's funny.

My father had a bad toilet seal on the main level of his house probably 5 years or so. So he had a plumber come deal with it.

Guy stopped in, had me help him move the toilet, went to Menards, came back, put a cheap little $5.00 seal in, had me help him more the toilet back, and as I recall he charged my dad at least $1,000.00 for that. I think it might have been more, but it was $1K at least, for like probably an hour total of labor on his end.

Fast forward to recently, BOTH bolts that hold said toilet down rusted/snapped clean off. The toilet was completely wobbly due to his (apparently) so cheap he didn't even spend a couple more dollars to get brass bolts instead of the cheapest he could get his greasy hands on.

So after my dad kicked out $1K+ to this guy for shoddy work (I think), maybe 5 years later his shoddy job has got me dealing with it in a house I now own. Well my buddy's dad stopped by and he and I did: the bolts, a new seal, a new inner fill valve, all in a couple hours and I paid him $100.

It wasn't that difficult, either. And now that I know all the ins and outs of a toilet (it's rather pedestrian if you ask me), I am far less afraid of such tasks.

I'm bumping because I wanted to ask if anyone knows what a plumber would charge for those tasks?: fill valve, base bolts and new seal?

I'm thinking I saved quite a bit having done all three on my own, but I am curious.

Old 09-27-2020, 12:00 PM

23,766 posts, read 29,034,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kavalier View Post
It's funny.

My father had a bad toilet seal on the main level of his house probably 5 years or so. So he had a plumber come deal with it.

Guy stopped in, had me help him move the toilet, went to Menards, came back, put a cheap little $5.00 seal in, had me help him more the toilet back, and as I recall he charged my dad at least $1,000.00 for that. I think it might have been more, but it was $1K at least, for like probably an hour total of labor on his end.

Fast forward to recently, BOTH bolts that hold said toilet down rusted/snapped clean off. The toilet was completely wobbly due to his (apparently) so cheap he didn't even spend a couple more dollars to get brass bolts instead of the cheapest he could get his greasy hands on.

So after my dad kicked out $1K+ to this guy for shoddy work (I think), maybe 5 years later his shoddy job has got me dealing with it in a house I now own. Well my buddy's dad stopped by and he and I did: the bolts, a new seal, a new inner fill valve, all in a couple hours and I paid him $100.

It wasn't that difficult, either. And now that I know all the ins and outs of a toilet (it's rather pedestrian if you ask me), I am far less afraid of such tasks.

I'm bumping because I wanted to ask if anyone knows what a plumber would charge for those tasks?: fill valve, base bolts and new seal?

I'm thinking I saved quite a bit having done all three on my own, but I am curious.
Try aiming better

Old 09-28-2020, 06:30 AM

2,105 posts, read 4,597,839 times
Quote:
It's funny.

IT would seem your dad should have gotten an estimate first to how much the job was going to cost...

Old 09-28-2020, 06:45 AM

10,098 posts, read 4,083,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by demtion35 View Post
IT would seem your dad should have gotten an estimate first to how much the job was going to cost...
I think he just called him on an emergency type of deal. I still think he massively overpaid.

Old 09-28-2020, 07:43 AM

7,572 posts, read 9,015,656 times
Quote:
I think he just called him on an emergency type of deal. I still think he massively overpaid.
Yes he was over charged - greatly, even by today's standards. Should have reported it to Better Business Bureau and trashed him on social media.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul