Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2017, 01:53 PM

369 posts, read 633,233 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsBall View Post
Everyone has a different perspective, I wasn't demeaning yours, I was simply sharing mine.
Well, it came off as demeaning. You responded directly to my complaint about Minneapolis's distance from other major cities by pointing out that Denver is even farther away from other major cities. I don't understand why it was necessary to respond to my comment by one-upping it with an even worse distance from other cities. Anytime a comment comes off as "Well at least it's not..." it's demeaning.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2017, 02:05 PM

762 posts, read 1,749,529 times
Yeah, I don't give a crap about Denver because I'd never want to move to Colorado, and commenting about proximity to the Denver airport doesn't answer my questions about Minneapolis-St. Paul.

Old 04-05-2017, 03:36 PM

588 posts, read 561,940 times
I have seen complaints of isolation in different threads throughout this subforum. One of the major reasons I'm moving to the TC's is its proximity to a major city. Where I'm at now in Denver it is a 13 hour drive to get to a major city such as Phoenix. A person's sense of isolation is all a matter of perspective determinated by an individuals life experience.

The OP stated he would be moving "from somewhere else", so I don't know his situation in regards to proximity to a major city. I'm simply sharing my personal experience.

Last edited by MsBall; 04-05-2017 at 03:56 PM..

Old 04-05-2017, 04:14 PM

Default Okay, so...

I'm the OP, and made the list of questions in my initial post to gather as many opinions as possible. Opinions being subjective and based on a person's experiences and direct observations, it isn't necessary nor sensible for anyone to challenge someone's opinion. I would rather not have people debating any one point someone makes about their unique experiences, as what good would that do? Asking for clarification if something is unclear is perfectly fine, though. But I'd rather that anyone who has a differing viewpoint go ahead and answer my little quiz with their opinions. Then I will have a nice range of opinions to examine and see if any points made pique my curiosity enough to warrant further investigation.

So, I would ask that if you'd like to participate in this thread, please do so by posting your answers to the list of questions. That would be ever so helpful and very much appreciated by me - thanks again!

And fyi - I'm a woman!

Old 04-05-2017, 05:47 PM

3,769 posts, read 8,796,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justabitoff View Post
1. How has Minneapolis-St. Paul compared to where you came from?

My husband and I moved here from Rye, NY (a suburb of NYC) about 3 years ago. The East Coast in general is denser, and with a lot more mainstreams even in the suburbs. Minnesota feels a lot like suburban sprawl, and while I love living in Northeast MPLS, we have struggled to find a suburb that is as walkable with "mom-and-pop" shop as our previous town was.

However, I grew up in Portland, Oregon, and it's nearly the same set-up. A fairly dense, walkable city, with suburban sprawl around it.

Do you live within city limits or in a nearby suburb?

Right now, we live in Northeast MPLS.

Are you happy with your housing? Please say whether you are an apartment dweller or homeowner.

We own our house.

a. How would you describe the experience of getting around in the city for shopping and work, and accessibility of stores/services/businesses you need? Please share whether you have a car or use public transportation.

We both have a car. I have not used the public transportation at all in MPLS.

b. If you do use public transportation, whether regularly or occasionally, how would you rate the system(s) there, and how does it compare to where you lived before?

I used public transportation all the time in NY. Have not used it at all in Minnesota.

Have you been happy with the move you made? Do you think you'll stay put long-term?

We will probably be here long-term, but mostly because we haven't come up with a better place to move to. We have family and jobs here, and that has a lot more weight now than it did when I was 21. (I'm now 31 and expecting my first child).

How would you rate the arts and cultural offerings (museums, theaters, galleries, concerts, etc.) in Minneapolis-St. Paul?

Very good, I just wish we had the time and money to do more!

Please share your opinion on the cost of living there. In your experience and from what you've observed, do you think salaries in the Twin Cities keep pace with the COL?

Compared to NYC, living in Minneapolis is practically free.

What do you like best about the Twin Cities?

Less traffic! Everything feels / is closer. Doesn't take as long to get outstate either. There's enough to do, but without feeling overwhelming with crowds. I have really enjoyed all the street fairs that Minneapolis and St. Paul have.

What do you like least?

The weather, obviously.

I wish some of the neighborhood retail areas in Minneapolis were slightly larger. Usually it's just one block by one block, so while it's great if you live close by, it's hard to spend an afternoon "just walking around" without needing to get back in the car / bus and driving somewhere else (there are a FEW exceptions, such as Grand and Lake). But that was more of a quality of NYC than the suburb that we lived in or nearby. I also wish that more of the suburbs had more old-fashioned main streets (Hopkins, Anoka, Excelsior and Stillwater are examples of what we do like).

Minneapolis is also a million miles away from the nearest major city. You have to fly almost everywhere, which is frustrating.
Those last 2 sentences!!!! Thank you! I responded to a post last month regarding how restrictive only 1 major airport is and could not believe a hostile responses I received. And don't even get me started on not being able to have any really quick getaways compared to other parts of the country.

Old 04-05-2017, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justabitoff View Post
Compared to NYC, living in Minneapolis is practically free.
I liked reading this, since I've been in NYC for a long time now.

Old 04-05-2017, 06:16 PM

878 posts, read 1,206,787 times
How has Minneapolis-St. Paul compared to where you came from?

I moved from South Florida 3 years ago--and I previously have lived in Chapel Hill (NC), NYC, Toronto and Montreal. I love that MSP is very educated, easily commutable and has great cultural activities and sports. Obviously, the weather is quite different than FL-- but so is the quality of the education that my children are getting.

Suburbs. Three kids, two dogs, SUV-- the whole suburban package going on.

Are you happy with your housing? Please say whether you are an apartment dweller or homeowner.
Been renting a house for the last few years; we're closing on a single family home next month.

a. How would you describe the experience of getting around in the city for shopping and work, and accessibility of stores/services/businesses you need? Please share whether you have a car or use public transportation.

Getting around town, other than in middle of rush hour and/or during a heavy snow, is remarkably easy as compared to virtually every other major city that I've lived in or visited. I only took public transportation in NYC, (sadly) I've yet take public transportation here (then again, I work from home, so I don't really commute, period). I do miss the ability to walk/wander around like I did when I lived in NYC, Toronto or Montreal-- there are some great pockets of walkable retail here, but it's not like NYC (then again, nothing is-- nor is NYC affordable).

b. If you do use public transportation, whether regularly or occasionally, how would you rate the system(s) there, and how does it compare to where you lived before?

I can't speak knowledgeably to this, sorry.

Have you been happy with the move you made? Do you think you'll stay put long-term?

Yes, for job prospects, education and sport opportunities-- we'll definitely be here until our youngest graduates from HS and, if the kids decide to stay in MN, so will we.

How would you rate the arts and cultural offerings (museums, theaters, galleries, concerts, etc.) in Minneapolis-St. Paul?

Amazing-- same with the restaurant scene, and, more importantly, they're both affordable and accessible.

Please share your opinion on the cost of living there. In your experience and from what you've observed, do you think salaries in the Twin Cities keep pace with the COL?

I am a national health care recruiter-- my company is based in NYC and recruit extensively in LA and Chicago, as well as here-- the jobs here pay nearly as well (sometimes higher) and the COL is WAY, WAY less (as someone else said, as compared to NYC, living here is virtually free).

I like that people tend to be down to earth and focused more on substance over style (bear in mind, I used to live in NYC and just outside Boca Raton/Palm Beach, where the very opposite was true).

What do you like least?

The obvious answer is the weather-- though I'd say (at least the last three winters) weren't nearly as bad as I feared. I will say that there's a good bit of credence to the "Minnesota Nice" theme-- mainly because there are so many natives here-- we're lucky enough to have kids that are all involved in activities that have enabled us to find some great friends-- but it's not easy to 'break in' to established social circles that go back, sometimes, to preschool.

Old 04-05-2017, 08:43 PM

413 posts, read 789,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citychik View Post
Hello all,
I'm interested in hearing from people who have moved to Minneapolis or St. Paul from somewhere else. It doesn't matter how long ago you moved there, but please feel free to share how long it's been and where you were before, if you like. I'm looking for your subjective opinions and personal experiences, rather than collected data and statistics. Please share as little or as much detail as you want.

Favorably, considering the housing cost difference between Minneapolis and Seattle,
particularly with regard to buying a house.

Quote:
Minneapolis proper - Downtown

Quote:
I live in an apartment now but close on a house in Minneapolis soon. The apartment itself is fine. The apartment building staff when we moved in was great. Then the site manager and assistant site manager left. The new staff haven't been quite as good about communicating with tenants, maintenance, etc.

Quote:
How would you describe the experience of getting around in the city for shopping and work, and accessibility of stores/services/businesses you need? Please share whether you have a car or use public transportation.
My wife and I have a car but I commute to work by bus. Getting around in a car here is pretty easy. It's way, way easier than in Seattle. Parking is relatively plentiful and inexpensive and what passes for traffic here people would never even complain about in the big coastal cities.

Quote:
If you do use public transportation, whether regularly or occasionally, how would you rate the system(s) there, and how does it compare to where you lived before?
Minneapolis has a very high Transit Score (https://www.walkscore.com/cities-and-neighborhoods/) It's in the Top 10 for major cities in the US according to the Transit Score algorithm and slightly ahead of Seattle. The reality on the ground isn't quite as good. The reach and frequency of public transit here is significantly worse than Seattle.

However, I can always get a seat on my bus at rush hour, the buses aren't full of mentally ill homeless people, and the roads aren't clogged slowing down buses and cars alike, as was the case in Seattle. So the overall user experience is roughly equivalent.

Quote:
Yes and yes

Quote:
Outstanding. Superior to Seattle and surprisingly affordable in most cases

Quote:
Yes, my salary is higher in Minneapolis than it was in Seattle and comparable houses here cost 60% of what they do in Seattle. Rents aren't quite as much lower but they are significantly less.

Quote:
People are much nicer and friendlier here than in Seattle. Far less introversion, social awkwardness and passive aggressiveness. I was worried about "Minnesota Nice" but people were more passive-aggressive in Seattle. The abundant sunshine is pretty nice too.

Quote:
What do you like least?
Minnesota drivers are the worst I have ever experienced. People are so nice in person and then get into cars and drive like they are in a Mad Max film. Drivers here are unfathomably bad.

Final thought: The weather really isn't that big of a deal and I wait outside for the bus every work day. Just dress for the weather and it's fine. No one should not move to MSP because of the weather.

Old 04-06-2017, 07:48 AM

367 posts, read 545,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citychik View Post
Hello all,
I'm interested in hearing from people who have moved to Minneapolis or St. Paul from somewhere else. It doesn't matter how long ago you moved there, but please feel free to share how long it's been and where you were before, if you like. I'm looking for your subjective opinions and personal experiences, rather than collected data and statistics. Please share as little or as much detail as you want.
  1. How has Minneapolis-St. Paul compared to where you came from?

2. Do you live within city limits or in a nearby suburb?

3. Are you happy with your housing? Please say whether you are an apartment dweller or homeowner.

4. a. How would you describe the experience of getting around in the city for shopping and work, and accessibility of stores/services/businesses you need? Please share whether you have a car or use public transportation.

5. Have you been happy with the move you made? Do you think you'll stay put long-term?

6. How would you rate the arts and cultural offerings (museums, theaters, galleries, concerts, etc.) in Minneapolis-St. Paul?

7. Please share your opinion on the cost of living there. In your experience and from what you've observed, do you think salaries in the Twin Cities keep pace with the COL?

8. What do you like best about the Twin Cities?

9. What do you like least?
THANK YOU!

1. I moved here over 20 years ago from New England (Rhode Island specifically) and with the exception of going back to Boston for my college years, I've been here ever since. When I first moved here I was still in high school and found it hard to acclimate, but I've grown to really love it as the years have progressed. While I miss specific things in New England that I can't get here (such as coffee milk or access to the ocean), overall the Twin Cities offer fantastic amenities and assets and a wonderful quality of life.

2. I know it's not as popular of a choice today, but I am a "suburb" person. I have primarily lived in the south metro since I've been here, first in Apple Valley followed by a brief stint in Edina and now Lakeville. I enjoy both Minneapolis and St. Paul for all that they offer and frequent both cities on weekends, but I like returning to the peace and quiet of the suburbs at the end of the day. Plus, it's very easy to get into the cities during non-rush hours, so I don't mind that I don't live directly in either since they are both only about a 20-25 minute drive away.

3. I am in a townhome and I love it because it is located directly on a lake and park where I can bike/walk. I used to live in an apartment in Edina but I don't miss renting at all.

4. I have a car and it is my primary means of transportation. Cars are needed in most of the Twin Cities suburbs. I have never used buses, but I have ridden both the Blue and Green Line Light Rails to reach downtown Minneapolis and St. Paul, and I can say the trains are nice, clean, and an easy way to get around the urban core. It doesn't compare to the subway system in Boston, but it's still a decent option. That said, however, I still prefer a vehicle because it allows convenient access to the rest of the metro area and state. Contrary to what a lot of people say, traffic here is a breeze (especially compared to Boston) and unless you're driving at peak hours or during inclement weather/construction, it is very easy to get from one side of the metro to the other.

5. I am happy with the move, and I'm here to stay as my job and immediate family and friends are here. I still try to go back to New England every year to visit other friends and relatives. I will likely stay here until retirement, at which point I will move to Naples, Florida.

6. The arts/culture scene in the Twin Cities is outstanding and very accessible. Minneapolis/St. Paul really "shine" in this regard and have quality offerings that are on par or even exceed larger metro areas.

7. As others have stated, the cost of living is relative. Minnesota is expensive compared to Topeka, Kansas, or Manchester, Iowa, but from coastal areas such as Boston or San Francisco, it is "dirt cheap." The strong economy here continues to allow high salaries to easily keep pace with COL.

8. I love how easy it is to get around the area and the plethora of attractions, shops, parks, and restaurants that are available.

9. I dislike drivers here (some of the worst in the country) and being so far from the ocean. Lakes are nice but they can't compare IMO.

Old 04-07-2017, 03:47 AM

256 posts, read 286,863 times
--I moved here for grad school, coming from another midwestern town which only really exists because it has a college in it, so MSP is a definite improvement

Minneapolis proper.

We're actually moving this month from our apartment complex downtown to a single-family house rental in South Minneapolis. We've lived in this complex for about 3 years, and have loved almost everything about it. But we're ready to have a little more elbow room while still being close to stuff.

It's pretty easy. If you're within Minneapolis or St. Paul, public transit works really well. I only bought a car because I actually got a job in a suburb which was not served by any form of public transit, so far as I can tell. We've started using the car a little bit more to get around town because it's usually quicker, but still prefer public transit if where we're going is right on a specific line with no changes.

It's pretty great. I've lived in Europe as well, and it's comparable in a lot of ways. We just need more trains

I'll stay until they kick me out I met my wife in school and we decided to make this place our home. Whenever we move again, I'm sure it'll be within the TC region, if not within Minneapolis itself.

Pretty great. I'm not a big theater guy, but there's a lot of that downtown. The Orchestra, the Minneapolis Institute of Arts, and so on.... there's always something cultural to go see or do, it seems.

Not really sure. As others have observed, childcare costs are insane, but I was under the impression that was the case everywhere. Otherwise, it's not the cheapest place to live, but living here, you actually feel like your tax dollars actually go towards something. There are tons of parks that are well-maintained, dedicated biking trails, and so on.

I actually like the weather (although the last couple winters have been mild and gross). I love that I can play hockey year round. I like that the population is generally-speaking well-educated. I also really like how many people you see outside all year round. People tend to be fitter here than other places I've lived, probably because they're outside so much (and not just in their cars going from one place to another); as soon as the sun comes out on the weekends, the Chain of Lakes are just surrounded by people walking around At least in Minneapolis and St. Paul, there are tons of little shops, restaurants, coffee shops, etc. all over the place waiting to be discovered.

What do you like least?
The heartless, utterly car-dependent suburbs plopped into farmers' fields that you inevitably run into when you drive too far in any direction To each their own, though. I also wish we had mountains, but can't have it all, I guess.

THANK YOU!
Oh ya, you betcha!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul