Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2017, 01:18 AM

3 posts, read 3,188 times

Advertisements

Does the metro area public know how influential the Met Council is and that they're unelected?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2017, 11:44 AM

1,395 posts, read 2,668,036 times
Yes and yes. I don't understand the huge disdain by some for the Met Council. IMO, many here don't realize the huge benefits that it provides to our area and how much it is used to form some kind of cohesiveness in regards to overall planning for the nearly 200 municipalities in this metro area. So, the Met Council was formed for good reason.
Sure, some people don't like extra regulations, but go live in a place like Kansas City or St. Louis where all counties, states and cities are working against each other and see what a big disaster and impediment that style of management of a metro is to overall grown and quality of life. I believe that having the Met Council has paid huge dividends for us - just compare our growth and effectiveness to nearly every other metro area in the Midwest. It's one of those things that you don't know what you have until it's gone.

Old 03-30-2017, 03:42 PM

1,349 posts, read 1,716,027 times
Yes and yes. People complain only when a decision affects them. Smart development taking into account the entire region is a blessing.

The 'unelected' thing is a total red herring by the way. Elected officials are often incompetent bureaucrats who are great at getting elected and pander to special interests.

Old 03-30-2017, 05:30 PM

5,831 posts, read 7,745,598 times
There can be a willingness to avoid process and accountability in an effort to accomplish some specific goal, in this case regional planning and transit. An elected government is not as efficient as a totalitarian system but it has the obvious safeguards of process and accountability.

As to your original question, when only a third of the people can name the three branches of government, I find it unlikely that many know much about the intricacies of the Met Council. https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.for...ot-stupid/amp/

Old 03-30-2017, 05:46 PM

2,584 posts, read 2,085,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MN Outlook View Post
Does the metro area public know how influential the Met Council is and that they're unelected?
Yep.

Old 03-31-2017, 10:10 AM

5,345 posts, read 14,169,225 times
Yes and Yes and I think they have way too much power. See Oak Grove, MN vs. Met Council. Oak Grove is basically in the sticks. They want to develop some farm land into 2.5 acre lots and the Met Council wants to put the kibosh on that based on population projections WAY out into the future. The Met Council would like to see every inch of the 7 county metro developed into dense tiny lots.

Don't get me wrong. Long term planning is obviously good, but allowing the almighty Met Council to dictate exactly what can and can't be done is a crock. It is basically their way or the highway. Add in the fact that they are not elected. This is off the MC webpage:

They are all appointed by and serve at the pleasure of the governor.

Little scary when you consider who our Governor is....

Old 03-31-2017, 04:59 PM

7,713 posts, read 4,764,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnesota Spring View Post
Yes and yes. I don't understand the huge disdain by some for the Met Council. IMO, many here don't realize the huge benefits that it provides to our area and how much it is used to form some kind of cohesiveness in regards to overall planning for the nearly 200 municipalities in this metro area. So, the Met Council was formed for good reason.
Sure, some people don't like extra regulations, but go live in a place like Kansas City or St. Louis where all counties, states and cities are working against each other and see what a big disaster and impediment that style of management of a metro is to overall grown and quality of life. I believe that having the Met Council has paid huge dividends for us - just compare our growth and effectiveness to nearly every other metro area in the Midwest. It's one of those things that you don't know what you have until it's gone.
I'm not against the Met Council. I've seen some highly questionable data collecting on their part to support their political ideology, but overall it seems to have value. My question is this though, why is "growth" so important to you & why is it something we should strive for?

Old 03-31-2017, 08:40 PM

1,349 posts, read 1,716,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mason3000 View Post
I'm not against the Met Council. I've seen some highly questionable data collecting on their part to support their political ideology, but overall it seems to have value. My question is this though, why is "growth" so important to you & why is it something we should strive for?
Growth happened. The Met council tries to manage the growth and avoid some of the pitfalls and poor outcomes that are inevitable if there are dozens or hundreds of municipalities making different rules, competing for dollars etc...

No one credits the Met Council FOR growth (at least I hope not).

Old 04-01-2017, 05:37 AM

5,831 posts, read 7,745,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr roboto View Post
Growth happened. The Met council tries to manage the growth and avoid some of the pitfalls and poor outcomes that are inevitable if there are dozens or hundreds of municipalities making different rules, competing for dollars etc...

No one credits the Met Council FOR growth (at least I hope not).
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnesota Spring View Post
It would appear that some people do credit the Met Council with the growth of the area.

Old 04-01-2017, 07:45 PM

371 posts, read 558,148 times
The issues being debated between Oak Grove MN and the Metro Council show how necessary a regional oversight organization is. If each area of the broader metro area wanted to start developing residential areas randomly without coordination, it will be more expensive to serve these areas with public services including transportation. It is good for the region overall when there is a plan to govern sprawl.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul