Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2017, 05:39 PM

1,365 posts, read 1,886,755 times

Advertisements

I know it's not super helpful, but as others have said the only real answer possible is "it depends." It's significantly above the average income in the Twin Cities ($52,080, according to a Business Insider article from 2016). But of course, that average includes a lot of people who aren't necessarily supporting themselves and their families on those salaries and a lot of people who are but are barely scraping by.

Personally, in a completely subjective observation, I would say $65K sounds like a very solid professional-level salary. It's nothing jaw-dropping, but you should be able to rent a decent place and drive a decent car and such.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2017, 08:09 AM

264 posts, read 314,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StPaulGal View Post
I know it's not super helpful, but as others have said the only real answer possible is "it depends." It's significantly above the average income in the Twin Cities ($52,080, according to a Business Insider article from 2016). But of course, that average includes a lot of people who aren't necessarily supporting themselves and their families on those salaries and a lot of people who are but are barely scraping by.

Personally, in a completely subjective observation, I would say $65K sounds like a very solid professional-level salary. It's nothing jaw-dropping, but you should be able to rent a decent place and drive a decent car and such.
City-data has a wealth of information about average area income, by zip code, I believe. Twin Cities appears to have a lot of income diversity, with neighboring areas often having high vs. low income. The OP may want to use this data to gauge where he or she would "fit" in the Twin Cities.

Old 02-02-2017, 08:36 AM

1,186 posts, read 968,963 times
Depends on your debt-to-income ratio and family size.

I lived comfortably (as a single, no kids, low debt) on much less than $65k a year in Hopkins, which is a suburb of Minneapolis. I was able to easily cover groceries, rent, car payment and utilities with some left over. It all depends on what you consider to be essential components to your lifestyle, which can eat into your budget.

Old 02-02-2017, 12:46 PM

10,244 posts, read 16,391,713 times
https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.bus...?client=safari

According to this article you would need a minimum salary of $50,500 to afford an average home in Minneapolis. That being said, according to this information you should be able to get by ok with a salary of 65k.

Last edited by Cruz Azul Guy; 02-02-2017 at 12:56 PM..

Old 02-03-2017, 11:01 PM

1,500 posts, read 1,775,586 times
Depends where you're coming from and who is with you. Taxes here will get you. Second only to California. Factor those in via an online state tax calaculator before making any decisions.

Old 02-04-2017, 05:50 AM

2,580 posts, read 2,076,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minntoaz View Post
Depends where you're coming from and who is with you. Taxes here will get you. Second only to California. Factor those in via an online state tax calaculator before making any decisions.
17th, if state and local sales taxes combined are considered, according to the Tax Foundation ...

https://taxfoundation.org/state-and-...ax-rates-2016/

Old 02-04-2017, 08:06 AM

10,244 posts, read 16,391,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodburyWoody View Post
17th, if state and local sales taxes combined are considered, according to the Tax Foundation ...

https://taxfoundation.org/state-and-...ax-rates-2016/
That link only accounts for sales tax which is just part of the overall tax burden equation. According to this source Minnesota is ranked 6th for overall tax burden:

https://wallethub.com/edu/states-wit...-burden/20494/

That being said, I would argue that you get what you pay for as MN outranks other states in quality of education, healthcare, etc.

Old 02-04-2017, 08:45 AM

1,349 posts, read 1,711,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruz Azul Guy View Post
That link only accounts for sales tax which is just part of the overall tax burden equation. According to this source Minnesota is ranked 6th for overall tax burden:

https://wallethub.com/edu/states-wit...-burden/20494/

That being said, I would argue that you get what you pay for as MN outranks other states in quality of education, healthcare, etc.
Yep. Minnesota is an example of higher-tax liberalism actually working quite well.

Old 02-06-2017, 09:48 AM

264 posts, read 314,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr roboto View Post
Yep. Minnesota is an example of higher-tax liberalism actually working quite well.
For some (many? most?) residents, it does. However, given the sorry state of many urban (and, increasingly, suburban) schools, a lot of people do not share in the Minnesota's success.

I am not taking a position on American liberalism or high vs. low taxes here, just disagreeing with the generality of the above comment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul