Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-28-2006, 11:26 AM

1 posts, read 2,844 times

Advertisements

My wife has been offered a job in Minneapolis. We live in Washington, D.C. and love it here but this is a great opportunity for her. We have some questions.

We love living in the city and would like to do so there.

How is public transportation?

Is it possible to live in the city with only one car?

I have heard that there are many bike paths and lanes but do people commute by bike in the winter?

Are there places close to the city to cross-country ski?

How about kayaking

How are your summers? Some people say they are great and others say they are very humid with lots of mosquitos?

Don't worry.... I won't ask about the winters
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2006, 01:32 PM

Location: Lakeville, MN - 4th nicest place in the nation to raise a family
285 posts, read 1,180,845 times
Default Washington to Minneapolis - Sounds familiar... :)

You know, I did the same thing. I worked in the Washington DC real estate market for years, and then moved to the Twin Cities. You're in for a pleasant culture shock!

Public transportation in and around the cities is nice - and its getting better. If you are going to be downtowners then there's the skyway system as well which rocks.

One car? Depends on your needs. I've helped folks purchase lots of condos downtown so that they can walk to work down in the 4th/5th St area.

Yes, there are a lot of bike paths. We cross-country ski on them in the winter.

Lots of cross-country skiing opportunities!

I see people kayaking on Lake Calhoun and Lake Harriet all the time when it isn't frozen.

Coming from Washington DC, you will think that the summers are absolutely amazing. This past summer, we had a stint of weather in the 90's that made headlines. It gets hot, for sure, but there are days of 70's and 80's too. We also get breaks from the humidity as well (does anyone else remember a better year for the state fair than 2006?).

I hope this helps - best of luck with your move!

Robert

Old 11-29-2006, 02:33 AM

14,229 posts, read 30,107,737 times
Best of luck! I recommend anyone considering MN, especially if they are from the south, should visit first. In the winter. Who knows, you may love it! It's easy to think about Winter sitting in DC. Totally different to slog through one of our Winters that CAN be 6 months long in a bad year! Gloomy, colder than cold, and sometimes they measure the sunlight in hours per month!

The wind chill would be fierce trying to ride that bike. Trying to remain upright on the ice would be a challenge too. I run, and did you know tears can freeze on your face? You can also feel your eyeballs freezing. Just know what you are getting into!

Culturally, it's a nice city with lots of things to do. Public transportation is good and improving. Taxes are very high here. Do some research on that too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul