Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2016, 10:16 PM

13,709 posts, read 21,929,063 times

Advertisements

HERE'S ANOTHER QUESTION: Did any of the local TV stations resemble WJM ... And has there ever been a local anchor that people refered to as "Ted Baxter" as people did quite often in cities across the country to insult local TV news anchors of old ... Aka the Ron Burgundys of the day?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2016, 10:18 PM

13,709 posts, read 21,929,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MplsTodd View Post
I think it's safe to say the "impeach Nixon" signs are the reason Mary moved to Cedar Square West. As shown in the Moore on Sunday special (posted above), the owner of the Kenwood mansion was tired of all the tourists (can't blame her Imo)
If I recall, wasn't she promoted from associate producer to producer and given a big pay raise? There was a whole episode about her demanding equal pay from Mr Grant.

It's more likely she "moved on up to a deluxe apartment in the sky" for story reasons ... The show evolved year after year in real time like that.

Old 05-02-2016, 10:58 PM

23,766 posts, read 29,064,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MplsTodd View Post
I think it's safe to say the "impeach Nixon" signs are the reason Mary moved to Cedar Square West. As shown in the Moore on Sunday special (posted above), the owner of the Kenwood mansion was tired of all the tourists (can't blame her Imo)
I always assumed that the Impeach Nixon signs were put up by Mary and Rhoda after they smoked up the ganja with weatherman Gordy one night after work.

Old 05-03-2016, 03:07 AM

69 posts, read 194,217 times
Since the show went to syndication the opening sequences are shorter. If you could see an original episode, such as from DVD, if not edited you would see a longer opening with Mary driving on I-35. The skyline looks almost non-existent compared to now. These shots were made in 1969.
The home in the Kenwood neighborhood may still be a stop on a tour bus. All of the owners ended up selling because of site-seers walking on the property or even knocking on the door asking for a tour. One of the most obnoxious stories was when the owner and his family were relaxing on a Sunday morning on their enclosed patio when suddenly a photographer and his assistant walked across the lawn and jabbed a tripod and light umbrella into the yard. A wedding party followed and started setting up a pose on the lawn. They had no permission and felt they had the right to be on the private property. The police had to be called. Don't ever give permission to have a movie or TV show scene shot on your property, it's not worth the few thousand dollars.

Old 07-03-2019, 10:24 PM

2 posts, read 1,525 times
Hello, The woman behind Mary Tyler Moore was not Hazel Frederick, it was my Aunt Elenora Utley from Fort Branch, IN. She just happened to be in Minneapolis that day shopping for her family. I have photo's of her if anyone is interested.

Old 07-03-2019, 10:29 PM

2 posts, read 1,525 times
The woman behind Mary Tyler Moore in the street scene was my Aunt Elenora Utley from Ft Branch, IN. She was in Minneapolis that day shopping for her family. This was confirmed by her daughter. I have photo's of her if interested.

Old 07-04-2019, 04:58 AM

2,105 posts, read 4,602,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elanora444 View Post
The woman behind Mary Tyler Moore in the street scene was my Aunt Elenora Utley from Ft Branch, IN. She was in Minneapolis that day shopping for her family. This was confirmed by her daughter. I have photo's of her if interested.
Very interesting. I have often wondered who some of those people were, just always assumed they were part of the cast crew.

Could you post photos of the person on here? That would be really neat. Thanks.

Old 07-04-2019, 07:15 AM

5,831 posts, read 7,713,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
If I recall, wasn't she promoted from associate producer to producer and given a big pay raise? There was a whole episode about her demanding equal pay from Mr Grant.

It's more likely she "moved on up to a deluxe apartment in the sky" for story reasons ... The show evolved year after year in real time like that.
The show with the line in the theme song about moving to a “deluxe apartment in the sky” was The Jeffersons, not the MTM Show.

Old 10-10-2021, 03:30 PM

577 posts, read 563,631 times
It's interesting to compare the Minneapolis depicted on MTM and the real Minneapolis today. On the MTM show, Minneapolis seemed much smaller and safer. The real Minneapolis is huge, including a huge downtown and far more urban.

I find downtown Minneapolis less charming than what I imagined from the show. With wide one-way streets designed for cars, downtown feels like a lot of concrete. I was expecting an atmosphere more like Copenhagen, with small, brick-paved streets, flowers, landscaping, parks and cozy outdoor spaces.

The real downtown Minneapolis is big and has many nice buildings, but the streetscape isn't charming. It seems like the city in that way is stuck in the 1970s. Many cities today are narrowing their streets, widening sidewalks, adding outdoor umbrellas and seating, adding decorative brickwork on the streets and sidewalks, adding roundabouts with sculptures, and ramping up the landscaping with flowers everywhere and every blade of grass perfectly in place. Even on Nicollet where you would expect it to be the most pristine, the area feels slightly run-down.

The Lyndale area on the other hand is absolutely packed with restaurants, clubs, and coffee shops, making Minneapolis seem much hipper than what was depicted on the show. This area combined with Lake Harriet, as well as the area around Macalester College in St. Paul, are the cutest parts of town that I've seen so far. I don't think I've ever seen so many gorgeous historic homes and tree-lined streets, or as many restaurants all in one area.

St. Paul is much more like how I imagined Minneapolis on the MTM show. They have a moderate-sized downtown and an exquisite residential area along Summit and Grand Avenue with lovely homes and parks. I could see Mary living there even today.

Old 10-11-2021, 12:46 AM

441 posts, read 440,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brickpatio2018 View Post
It's interesting to compare the Minneapolis depicted on MTM and the real Minneapolis today. On the MTM show, Minneapolis seemed much smaller and safer. The real Minneapolis is huge, including a huge downtown and far more urban.

I find downtown Minneapolis less charming than what I imagined from the show. With wide one-way streets designed for cars, downtown feels like a lot of concrete. I was expecting an atmosphere more like Copenhagen, with small, brick-paved streets, flowers, landscaping, parks and cozy outdoor spaces.

The real downtown Minneapolis is big and has many nice buildings, but the streetscape isn't charming. It seems like the city in that way is stuck in the 1970s. Many cities today are narrowing their streets, widening sidewalks, adding outdoor umbrellas and seating, adding decorative brickwork on the streets and sidewalks, adding roundabouts with sculptures, and ramping up the landscaping with flowers everywhere and every blade of grass perfectly in place. Even on Nicollet where you would expect it to be the most pristine, the area feels slightly run-down.

The Lyndale area on the other hand is absolutely packed with restaurants, clubs, and coffee shops, making Minneapolis seem much hipper than what was depicted on the show. This area combined with Lake Harriet, as well as the area around Macalester College in St. Paul, are the cutest parts of town that I've seen so far. I don't think I've ever seen so many gorgeous historic homes and tree-lined streets, or as many restaurants all in one area.

St. Paul is much more like how I imagined Minneapolis on the MTM show. They have a moderate-sized downtown and an exquisite residential area along Summit and Grand Avenue with lovely homes and parks. I could see Mary living there even today.
of course Minneapolis is much bigger MTM was about 50 years ago. So it is not going to look anything like it was. Any major city is going to have areas that are run down and grungy. We have a few streets here in Portland that they have shut down and turned into little eating areas. But overall PDX is a disgusting cesspool. When I visited Minneapolis a few years ago I found it to be quite nice. We even went downtown and walked around. I saw NO homeless people or homeless camps with garbage thrown ll over. They even had some cool food carts. I wish i could remember where we went to eat. Of course I only saw a small portion of the city .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul