Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2015, 10:20 AM

19 posts, read 23,998 times

Advertisements

I think Edina is a good choice and you probably can afford it for under $2000/month or right around there. There is a really good downpayment assistance program in Edina that can give you up to $60,000 in a deferrable payment loan to assist with a home purchase and with this, you can easily keep you payment under $2000/month with taxes and insurance. Rentals go for right around this amount, but if you are open to townhomes, twin homes (like townhomes), and smaller homes, you will be fine. I had an earlier post with more info, but it has been deleted, but I did list some other areas that may be of interest - and in all these places $2000/month is doable since you don't sound like you need a huge 4 bedroom home. This is a hot rental market, but good credit and good income will allow you to have some decent choices. Best of Luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2015, 06:53 AM

19 posts, read 23,998 times
Here are some current rental listings from the MLS that may fit the bill - Edina, St. Louis Park and parts of Bloomington & Richfield will all fit the goal of being close to things to do and being a decent commute to downtown. All of these allow pets, but most landlords approve pets on a case-by-case basis. Also, many homes in Minnesota have wood floors and you will want to be careful it your dogs are over 20 lbs as some wood floors can dent and scratch easily, especially maple, so just be aware of this are either steer clear or use plenty of rugs so you make sure to get back your damage deposit upon move-out.
Single-Family Thumbnail

2941 Blackstone Avenue, Saint Louis Park MN 55416
List#: 4665907 Status: Active Price: $1,700 Style: (SF) Two Stories
Beds: 2 Yr Blt: 1947 Cont: N Ttl F Sqft: 1,724
Baths: 2 Grg: 1 Acres: 0.11

4420 W 70th Street, Edina MN 55435
List#: 4665592 Status: Active Price: $2,000 Style: (SF) Four or More Level Split
Beds: 3 Yr Blt: 1960 Cont: N Ttl F Sqft: 2,439
Baths: 3 Grg: 2 Acres: 0.27

7116 S Harriet Avenue, Richfield MN 55423
List#: 4665298 Status: Active Price: $1,600 Style: (SF) One 1/2 Stories
Beds: 3 Yr Blt: 1952 Cont: N Ttl F Sqft: 1,984
Baths: 2 Grg: 1 Acres: 0.147

8825 Abbott Avenue S, Bloomington MN 55431
List#: 4665143 Status: Active Price: $1,650 Style: (SF) One Story
Beds: 3 Yr Blt: 1955 Cont: N Ttl F Sqft: 2,244
Baths: 2 Grg: Acres: 0.27

2720 Vernon Avenue S, Saint Louis Park MN 55416
List#: 4664359 Status: Active Price: $1,500 Style: (SF) One 1/2 Stories
Beds: 3 Yr Blt: 1927 Cont: N Ttl F Sqft: 1,140
Baths: 2 Grg: 1 Acres: 0.11

4725 Valley View Road, Edina MN 55424
List#: 4663403 Status: Active Price: $1,875 Style: (SF) One Story
Beds: 4 Yr Blt: 1952 Cont: N Ttl F Sqft: 1,792
Baths: 2 Grg: 2 Acres: 0.269

6501 W 26th Street, Saint Louis Park MN 55426
List#: 4661859 Status: Active Price: $1,925 Style: (SF) Two Stories
Beds: 3 Yr Blt: 1940 Cont: N Ttl F Sqft: 1,976
Baths: 3 Grg: 1 Acres: 0.2

6105 Kellogg Avenue, Edina MN 55424
List#: 4660790 Status: Active Price: $1,650 Style: (SF) One Story
Beds: 3 Yr Blt: 1952 Cont: N Ttl F Sqft: 1,423
Baths: 1 Grg: 1 Acres: 0.151
Information Deemed Reliable But Not Guaranteed. Copyright (c) 2015 Regional Multiple Listing Service of Minnesota., Inc. All Rights Reserved.

Old 12-09-2015, 12:09 PM

29 posts, read 27,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben_in_mn View Post
There are several options available. Minnesota is a great state to live in. The Twin cities are very underappreciated by most of the country. Minneapolis has great theater, amazing food, and tons of very hip bars and events for people in their early thirties.
However, what you are looking for does not exist in any city that I'm aware of. These are the problems I see with what you are looking for. Newer home with a large yard with nice walkability. There are great places like this in the city. They won't be new and if they are, they won't have large yards. South Minneapolis is a great place to live. Uptown is an area that caters to the younger hipster crowd. Some very good restaurants, nice cafés, fun bars. All very close to each other. But you won't find new houses in the area and the yards are not big. There are newer, nicer apartments and condo's in the area but then you lack a yard. The newer stuff, in the heart of uptown will require a total income of roughly 3200-4000k a month to live comfortably. There are decent houses in the area that you could afford, but these houses were built between the 20s-50s. They of course have been updated but they will not have a suburban townhouse feel. For south Minneapolis you should focus in the area south of 46th ave and west of nicollet. This is the ideal area. It may however be out of your price range.
Another option to consider is living in downtown Minneapolis itself. The whole of downtown is very safe. But once again you run into the problem of having no yard.
All of this being said what you're really looking for is a suburb. And a nicer one. There are suburbs in both Minneapolis and st Paul that would meet most of your requirements.
I would suggest the northwestern suburbs. Plymouth, golden valley, new hope, and parts of crystal. From these suburbs you can reach downtown in 10-15 minutes in non rush hour traffic. Rush hour depending on your ability to navigate 30-45 minutes in the heart of rush hour. I lived in golden valley and with my knowledge of the area was able to leave home at 6:30pm to make a 7:10 pm Twins game. Maple grove is very nice but you would be outside of your drive to downtown timeframe.
Bloomington is worth a look. Edina is nice but you won't be able to afford it.
On the st Paul side the area around Macalester and St Thomas colleges is very nice. Need to be south of Marshall or I94.
Suburbs for st Paul roseville, maplewood, Woodbuarea stillwater, and Eagan.
I think the main thing to consider is that your list is unrealistic. No area will meet all of your requirements. I would suggest renting in south Minneapolis, and if you find that you like it, stay in the area. If not move to anyone of the suburbs I named.
For Minnesotans that may question my advice. I grew up in a house in golden valley. Teenage years were spent between a house off of 48th and pleasant in s. Mpls and townhomes in Plymouth and new hope. College years spent off of Marshall and Cleveland. Currently live in Monticello, which is where I've chosen to raise my family. I am 32 years old.
Thank you so much for all the info!! I figured that would be the case as that's how it is here in Houston but figured I'd see if it happened to be any different there! We will have to expand our search to the suburbs and see how those areas are since we do have 2 (very stubborn and lazy) Bulldogs and can't imagine living somewhere without a yard and having to drag them out with a leash every time to go to the bathroom, especially in the cold!! Looks like we would be in the same boat we're in here with having to sacrifice convenience for a nicer house and yard. I'll check out the areas you suggested, thanks again!! ☺️

Old 01-02-2016, 06:47 PM

2 posts, read 1,085 times
I would suggest looking at St. Louis Park.

Old 01-07-2016, 08:47 PM

10,624 posts, read 26,745,882 times
You can still find a house with a yard in a nice neighborhood in the city for that price. But if you're looking for a brand-new McMansion with a massive yard then yes, you'll need to go somewhere farther out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul