Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2015, 01:29 PM

170 posts, read 235,570 times

Advertisements

The Twin Cities was an early front-runner when I began considering places to move. I grudgingly removed it from the list as I determined that the COL was higher than I was looking for. A recent visit to another city has made me really want to figure out if I can make the Twin Cities work.

The primary reason for the move is to improve general well-being motivated by being a new (single) mother. I will be moving with $36k/yr and this won't change for at least two years. COL is very important to me because I am a recovering fat, lazy person and really need to have as much access to a healthy lifestyle as possible. This means eating healthy, gym membership, having the money to access outdoor activities.

The main financial drawback to the Twin Cities is start up costs. Purchasing a winter wardrobe, making my car winter/snow friendlier, etc. There are additional costs for my baby, I'm sure. I went to college in New England so I feel somewhat comfortable with cold and snow, but it's hard for me to figure out the additional costs a baby requires in cold climates. Then there is my dog, though I suppose getting him up to par will be a one time clothing/shoe cost. Mostly I'm just worried that the cost of living responsibly in a cold weather place is much more than I anticipate.

My housing budget was what initially made me turn away from the Twin Cities. My absolute max is $900 for a one or two bedroom rental, including parking. Rent seems to be somewhat high there, though perhaps I'm not looking in the right areas.

What say you, dear CDers? Is the twin city area doable for someone who is only bringing in $36k a year? Do the benefits of the area (those related to health and activity especially) outweigh the problems associated with not having as much discretionary income as I would in, say, Albuquerque?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2015, 04:48 PM

371 posts, read 556,867 times
Will you be working and then needing full time day care? Because Minnesota has some of the highest daycare costs in the U.S. This might be more than your rent.

Old 02-22-2015, 05:00 PM

5,831 posts, read 7,722,635 times
I'm Retired Now finally hits the Minnesota forum. I see you're running out of options for screen names for all your different personas though.

Old 02-22-2015, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheddar View Post
Will you be working and then needing full time day care? Because Minnesota has some of the highest daycare costs in the U.S. This might be more than your rent.
No need for full time child care. Though I can't believe I completely forgot to check on this cost. I expected to use day care for a couple of hours a week in the near future for some much needed 'me' time, but even 4 hours a week is significantly more than what I had budgeted elsewhere.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenfield View Post
I'm Retired Now finally hits the Minnesota forum. I see you're running out of options for screen names for all your different personas though.
I hope this isn't directed at me, because if it is, I have no idea what you are talking about. I'm 31, so nowhere near retirement.

Old 02-22-2015, 05:33 PM

The "recovering, fat lazy person" line sounds like classic I'm Retired Now, especially since access to a "healthy lifestyle" has nothing to do with cost of living.

Old 02-22-2015, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenfield View Post
The "recovering, fat lazy person" line sounds like classic I'm Retired Now, especially since access to a "healthy lifestyle" has nothing to do with cost of living.
COL must be considered when looking at access to a healthy lifestyle. How much are food costs? What about clean, organic food? How much does it cost to join a gym? What about park entry fees, if any? Where are the public green spaces, how far are they from the average affordable neighborhood, how far will I have to drive? How much are fuel costs? Can I afford a walkable or bike friendly area? What trade offs can be made if a COL of an area is so high that I'm unable to afford these lifestyle choices?

Again, I'm nowhere near retirement age so I have no idea why you are insisting that I'm retiring now. I would greatly appreciate if you were able to answer some questionsI've posed in this thread. If not, I'd prefer if you move along.

Old 02-22-2015, 06:48 PM

10,624 posts, read 26,756,432 times
You should be fine. One nice thing about Minneapolis is that people are active year-round, if you don't mind the cold. Neighborhood parks are everywhere, and even with your budget you can find an apartment within walking distance to a lake or the river and their additional walking, biking, and even skiing paths. Our neighborhood park rink is free for the skating, with free skates available for residents to use if they don't have their own. It's a REALLY good location for public parks -- best in the nation on that front. They are everywhere, are often linked, and are free. And people bike year-round, so if that's your preferred mode of transportation (or if you want to make it so) you're in the right place. The parks and/or community education programs (through the school district) often offer free or cheap exercise classes or gym access, and there are also lots of Ys and private gyms around. Costs on those vary. The biggest issue will likely be finding an affordable rental that also takes dogs, although I'm sure it can be done. This is a slow time of the year for rentals, but listings will drastically pick up in the spring.

Clothing costs shouldn't be too much more if you shop sales or second-hand. I load up on larger-sized clothes at garage sales in the summer -- Minneapolis is the best place I've ever lived for garage sales.

Old 02-23-2015, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UsernameCreativity View Post
COL must be considered when looking at access to a healthy lifestyle. How much are food costs? What about clean, organic food? How much does it cost to join a gym? What about park entry fees, if any? Where are the public green spaces, how far are they from the average affordable neighborhood, how far will I have to drive? How much are fuel costs? Can I afford a walkable or bike friendly area? What trade offs can be made if a COL of an area is so high that I'm unable to afford these lifestyle choices?

Again, I'm nowhere near retirement age so I have no idea why you are insisting that I'm retiring now. I would greatly appreciate if you were able to answer some questionsI've posed in this thread. If not, I'd prefer if you move along.
Sorry. Your post sounded like something a user who sometimes goes by I'm Retired Now would post under one of his alternative IDs.

If it's a real question, then 36k doesn't seem like much money, though this is not a particularly expensive place to live.

Old 02-23-2015, 12:27 PM

142 posts, read 255,892 times
When I first moved to Minneapolis it was on a $42k/year budget but I had a company car so that helped. Was able to get an apartment in St. Louis Park (1 bedroom and a den) and still afford to go out every once and a while. Guess it depends what you are used to and what your expectations are. $36k doesn't sound like a lot but I think you can make it work with the right expectations. Bills in winter can get high though if you are in an old home with poor insulation.

Good luck!

Old 02-23-2015, 03:15 PM

264 posts, read 314,477 times
I think the key questions are -
- 36k/annually net?
- Is somebody/some organization paying medical coverage for the family?

If the answer for both questions is yes, it is certainly doable. If not (I assume it is 36k gross, and buy insurance through mnsure), this is going to be a little tough.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul