Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2020, 01:16 AM

190 posts, read 74,999 times

Advertisements

Man, WTH? Very sorry for everyone’s pain. Seems some entity should be held accountable including the state for not watching over such a facility more carefully.

Found this on reddit to go along with what’s being said here.

https://www.reddit.com/r/RBI/comment...lth_center_in/

I’m familiar with the Anoka compound. Those buildings are very old, and very cold in the winter time. Did anyone familiar with the site know about the underground tunnels connecting those buildings? Talk about creepy, and everyone says they’re haunted. The doors are locked and they no longer use them, as far as I know. A girl I knew said she saw the ghost of a woman walking in the tunnel. She was very convincing, I believed her.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2020, 03:50 AM

2,105 posts, read 4,597,839 times
How can a girl walk in the tunnels, when you said they are locked and no longer being used. She was the ghost?

Old 10-03-2020, 02:55 AM

1,020 posts, read 808,232 times
Has anyone seen the new Paris Hilton documentary, available free on YT, called This is Paris. She is still today haunted by her nightmares (and has severe insomnia) b/c of her experiences being put in places like GV. She has a recurring nightmare of being 'kidnapped' in the middle of the night, b/c that's what she thought was happening, which is how she was taken against her will (weren't we all) to a place in UT.

The Hiltons FFS. Yeah, this happened to people with money. While I was certainly never a fan of Paris H, it was a very interesting documentary & I had no idea about this part of her background.

OP, I see you haven't posted in a very long time, I hope you're ok (((OP))) & are getting the answers you need to move fwd.

Old 01-02-2021, 02:52 PM

1 posts, read 1,404 times
Default Golden Valley treatment centre

I found this forum today and it really sparked some dark repressed memories. I was in the f””ked up treatment centre for 3 months when I was 12. That was 1990 I guess. I don’t remember too much because as all the kids there I was heavily medicated. I remember a lot of emotional, physical and sexual abuse. It’s tough to recall details and I’ve never really talked about it so I’m repressing the memories they have mostly disappeared. I could never really tell anyone about what happened because I didn’t want my mom to feel guilty about putting me there because she was just trying to find a way to help me. I used to steal and she as a single mother didn’t know how to deal with me. There were kids who were there because they had killed people and really mentally disturbed kids. The staff were as far as I could remember; really incompetent and the main doctor (Dr. Borno) was a total creep. We were all heavily medicated and I remember many of the girls there being forced to perform sex acts. We boys were molested in one way or another but nothing compared to what the girls experienced. I remember not being able to call or write anyone amd visits with my mom were monitored, short and very infrequent. I wish I could remember more details and I’d love to find that dr. And repay all those feelings of helplessness and shame I was forced to endure. It’s really strange that there are no records, no information and the place has literally vanished. Anyways, just thought I’d put this out there.

Old 01-02-2021, 08:27 PM

10,341 posts, read 5,861,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joeybangs View Post
It’s really strange that there are no records, no information and the place has literally vanished. Anyways, just thought I’d put this out there.
Glenwood Hills Hospital became Golden Valley Health Center in 1973. GVHC closed in 1992, and Hidden Lakes Development purchased 92 acres of the property for development in 1996. Today, Regency Hospital and the Minneapolis Clinic of Neurology are still on site. Try the Regency Hospital if searching for records.

Or try this:
https://hospmedrecsloc.web.health.st...NbyfWsOtKnwLOg

Last edited by RbccL; 01-02-2021 at 08:36 PM..

Old 02-24-2021, 03:28 PM

1 posts, read 1,289 times
My name is Angie. I don't remember what years I was there because I was at many. To my mother the psych ward was the nanny. I was first hospitalizedwhen I was 8 because I tried to kill myself. After that, I don't think I was out in the real world for any more then maybe a month until I was 16 and a probation officer saw what it was all about and helped me get imancipated. I also don't remember ever leaving or going in to any of them. I have always wondered about that. To Sammy and Scott: the idea of actually seeing ANY of those old records has been on my mind for YEARS now. I've tried a few things but with such vague details it is not working. But I would really like any suggestions as to hunting anything down. To me it seems like to have the records could be to have the closure. At least that is what I want to try for.

Old 02-25-2021, 08:02 AM

540 posts, read 1,096,158 times
To Joeybangs and Spinellaang

My heart goes out to you. And I know you may not want to hear it, but knowing the details of your past will not help your present.

Just know that those bad feelings you had then, and may still have now, are not, and never were, your fault.

Old 03-04-2021, 12:28 PM

1 posts, read 1,259 times
I was a patient at GVHC CTU for 8 months in 1991. I was from Sault Ste Marie, Ontario and sent there after a suicide attempt at 13. I was in a bedroom with a two way mirror for months, I always felt someone was watching me. I have memories of kids being extremely over medicated. Being locked up in the quiet room ( QR) for hours at a time being restrained by being rolled up in a gym mat on the floor, urinating on myself because of staff refusing to let me out to use the toilet. Having my clothes taken away as punishment being forced to wear hospital scrubs when other children wore their own clothing, being supervised, watched while in the shower and I spent two weeks confined to my bedroom on room restriction 24/7 with meals brought to my room. I was allowed out to use the bathroom and shower once every other day. My phone 'privileges' were suspended and I had no contact with my family for months, they told my parents to 'go and greive, they have lost their daughter's and stated I would probably be institutionalized my entire life. They promised me a phone call with my parents for good behaviour on my birthday but never told my parents so when I called, my parents, having been told to grieve my loss refused my call. I learned to 'play the game' in order to gain privileges of being allowed to wear my clothing, go outside to the playground, surrounded by 8 foot Chain link fences and be allowed to do crafts in OT or attend music therapy where staff would play music for an hour while kids lay quietly in a dark room on mats. I recall being threatened to have a feeding tube forced down my throat when I went on a hunger strike for 3 days upon admission by the psychiatrist Dr El borno, who was a seriously sadistic and evil man. I was subjected to countless procedures, medications and weeks of isolation as treatment for basically being a suicidal child. I was injured by anouther patient and taken to the dentist after my front tooth completely chipped off after being bullied reletlentlessly and tripped, smashing my face off the floor. I remember school being two hours of self directed basically what do you want to learn. I read grapes of wrath. I remember plates being thrown against the wall in anger, smashed. Some staff were good, but others were cruel and sadistic. RPR was frequently called over the loudspeaker which basically meant a physical restraint was taking place and someone was being forcibly moved into the QR and they needed additional staff to assist in the restraint. Once two children escaped and made it into St Paul and when they were finally located and returned they spent a month in the QR 24/7 in hospital pjs isolated from.others. During this time there was a tornado watch, we were all brought into the tunnels of the basement to wait out the tornado, he was isolated from the rest of the children in the tunnel in his hospital pjs and I was close to him as I was isolated in my bedroom at the time. We were both grateful for the tornado because we got to have contact with people for the first time in weeks.

It was definitely a place where questionable practices were being utilized and children were being heavily overmedicated and diagnosed with multiple psychiatric conditions which are impossible to determine on children age 6-15. I think the youngest child I saw there was 6, definitely a few 8 year olds, but the average age was about 12. Many children came from Ontario including Thunder Bay, North Bay and Sault Ste Marie areas. We were all abruptly discharged within a few weeks of each other, I left in October, arrived home with no place to live as my parents had been told to give up on me, I bounced around extended family for a couple weeks before being placed in foster care. 1 was just turned 14.

I can be contacted at pumpkin_2477@hotmail.com if anyone wants to connect.

Old 03-15-2021, 06:36 PM

2 posts, read 2,269 times
I was there at that time. I think it was ATP 1 because you moved to ATP 2 after being there for X amount of time, right?

Old 03-15-2021, 08:46 PM

2 posts, read 2,269 times
My name was Stacie then. I was brought there when I was 12 in 1981 and kept until 1983. I had run away from home after years of sexual abuse (that mother believed I wanted) and attempted suicide. I was tricked into going there and then locked away until the insurance ran out.

I believe I was in ATP1. I was one of the youngest there. There was another young girl that the courts had placed there after being sex trafficked. We became close friends and attempted to run away together. When we were caught, we were separated, placed on room restriction, and then she was transferred off the unit. I never saw her again. I think about her all the time. She had dyed blonde hair with dark brown roots growing in. She was very small - petite. I felt like she was the only person that I ever really connected with. I wish I remembered her name or knew where she was.

Although I was never sexually abused there, the trauma of being there on top of the years of sexual abuse I went through, altogether changed who I was, what I became, and how I can and cannot connect with others. I am irrevocably broken.

I now do my best to sequester myself from others as a way of sparing them pain. I have learned a lot and am grateful to have found some modicum of peace.

Love and light to all of the survivors.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul