Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2014, 12:01 PM

6,904 posts, read 7,597,105 times

Advertisements

I have lived in both states - rural MN for 12 ish years, rural west TX for 3 years. I prefer MN, but given the family circumstances you describe, I believe that McKinney would be a much better fit for you than Stillwater.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2014, 02:49 PM

1,051 posts, read 1,695,460 times
I have spent many years (+15) in both states, and I actually don't think it's odd to put the two on the table as options to consider, despite their large differences. They share one thing: they are affordable options in middle America that are pretty underrated elsewhere in the nation.

I'd choose based on weather tolerance. Can you tolerate long winters or long (over 90) summers better? You'll have about fives months either way (winter in MN, summer in TX). If you can tolerate both, I'd probably choose MN.

With low paying jobs you'll have access to better education in MN, without a doubt. In TX, there are good schools but they are either private or in expensive neighborhoods. The comments upthread about larger gaps between rich and poor in TX are right on the money. And you can feel it too.

All said, they are both pretty good options, though you might consider other parts of the Twin cities, like, say, Forest Lake or a similar sized city outside the first couple rings of suburbs where COL is lower but you still have big city amenities. Best of luck.

Old 08-29-2014, 03:29 PM

4 posts, read 7,687 times
Winter is not a big deal for my family, but i do like the sounding of a more milder winter and thats why we also been looking at Texas. The thing is like most comments so far said, the diversity between rich and poor is very much there, and that kind of turns you away.

Old 08-29-2014, 04:47 PM

988 posts, read 1,827,413 times
I am a MN native, and left approximately 2 years ago. Today, Dallas is home (in part for the job opportunity and part I didn't like MN winters 18 years ago as a younger pup - didn't get any better as I got to be a less young pup)...

Minnesota liberals love to sneer and think themselves so-very-sophisticated and "progressive" presuming high taxes and a nanny state is the proper and only way to a great society. In the meantime, we can watch more and more regulation driving jobs out and a state government continually increasing taxes but never balancing a budget because every liberal needs their handout for which they "are entitled"...

At the same time, MN libs try to paint red state Texas as a bunch of toothless slackjaws watching NASCAR, playing their banjos, etc. etc. while hoping everyone ignores the influx of people leaving Minnesota because of high taxes, many of them opting for Texas.

I would ignore the irrelevant comments such as on the death penalty. It's a wholly inaccurate portrayal of Texas, likely by people who have never visited Texas and/or on an agenda. You'll find jobs, schools, Targets, movie theaters, and pretty much anything else you'd find in MN - certainly in McKinney or DFW metroplex.

Here's my observations of the two states and cities of McKinney and Stillwater:

1) Others have portrayed the wage situation. MN will have that higher minimum wage and, if you can get a minimum wage job after companies cut positions to pay their bills and stay in business, you will make more before taxes. However, you'll pay high income taxes which mitigates your minimum wage gains.

2) Property tax is more expensive in TX, but if you are renting there are enough apartments at relatively lower pricepoints due to greater supply. Until you are looking at buying a house the property tax question isn't overly relevant (even acknowledging renters pay property tax as part of their rent). Even if you paid property taxes directly, the extra you pay is more than offset by the lack of state income tax.

However, I think either location you will have trouble finding a safe and clean apartment at $500/month; Texas will be closer to that amount. Expect closer to $800-900 for a 2BR if you shop around.

4) With the continued influx of transplants to Texas, I think you'll have an easier time finding a job. All those people bring their money which boosts the economy - and again with lower overall taxes have it in their pocket to spend. That creates jobs.

However, while either city I'd plan on coming with a job, perhaps slightly more so in Texas. You don't want to be convincing landlords you "really will have a way to pay the rent".

5) If you opt for McKinney or Stillwater, neither are conducive to being carless. but I would be especially mindful of finding a job first in TX and then finding a place to live. The DFW metroplex is massive and you could easily be making a long and time-consuming drive to/from work. DFW traffic can be a bear - have the job first and then find a place a reasonable distance to work. Not only will you save your sanity, you'll save your $$$.

6) DFW is warmer than the bitter cold of MN, but keep in mind it gets colder here than I would have expected. It's nothing like MN, but don't expect it always above 55F either. On the weather, July and August are very hot in Texas. Not only does the normal high hit upper 90's, in the metroplex it doesn't cool down as much at night (partially due to the concrete). The technical low will hit 75F at night, but that's around 3-4AM. Even at 10-11PM when you're more inclined to be awake, the temp can easily still be 90F.

7) The purported rich/poor divide does exist in TX, but don't believe it doesn't exist in MN too. Stillwater is a great community, but it's not known for all the corporate CEO's sitting at the park holding hands in sing-alongs with hotel housekeepers or Target/Walmart cashiers. Either place will have the neighborhoods you'll be comfortable and not-so-comfortable because there's people like you or because the atmosphere will noticeably make you feel out of place.

I miss my family and friends, but given the better economics I've never regretted moving to Texas.

Old 08-29-2014, 05:34 PM

2,744 posts, read 4,231,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yosh01 View Post
Minnesota outlawed the death penalty over a hundred years ago while Texas executes more people than any other state. This illustrates the huge gulf between the two states as much as anything I can think of.

Says it all for me. Minnesota. Also people there are very friendly.

Old 08-30-2014, 02:40 PM

4 posts, read 7,687 times
Thanks everyone for the input it seems like TX might be the better option, now are there aany other states that I should consider besides TX?

Old 08-30-2014, 05:57 PM

871 posts, read 1,087,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jk1w View Post
Thanks everyone for the input it seems like TX might be the better option, now are there aany other states that I should consider besides TX?
Well, only 49.

Old 08-30-2014, 09:40 PM

1,395 posts, read 2,658,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GBCommenter View Post
I am a MN native, and left approximately 2 years ago. Today, Dallas is home (in part for the job opportunity and part I didn't like MN winters 18 years ago as a younger pup - didn't get any better as I got to be a less young pup)...

Minnesota liberals love to sneer and think themselves so-very-sophisticated and "progressive" presuming high taxes and a nanny state is the proper and only way to a great society. In the meantime, we can watch more and more regulation driving jobs out and a state government continually increasing taxes but never balancing a budget because every liberal needs their handout for which they "are entitled"...

At the same time, MN libs try to paint red state Texas as a bunch of toothless slackjaws watching NASCAR, playing their banjos, etc. etc. while hoping everyone ignores the influx of people leaving Minnesota because of high taxes, many of them opting for Texas.

I would ignore the irrelevant comments such as on the death penalty. It's a wholly inaccurate portrayal of Texas, likely by people who have never visited Texas and/or on an agenda. You'll find jobs, schools, Targets, movie theaters, and pretty much anything else you'd find in MN - certainly in McKinney or DFW metroplex.

Here's my observations of the two states and cities of McKinney and Stillwater:

1) Others have portrayed the wage situation. MN will have that higher minimum wage and, if you can get a minimum wage job after companies cut positions to pay their bills and stay in business, you will make more before taxes. However, you'll pay high income taxes which mitigates your minimum wage gains.

2) Property tax is more expensive in TX, but if you are renting there are enough apartments at relatively lower pricepoints due to greater supply. Until you are looking at buying a house the property tax question isn't overly relevant (even acknowledging renters pay property tax as part of their rent). Even if you paid property taxes directly, the extra you pay is more than offset by the lack of state income tax.

However, I think either location you will have trouble finding a safe and clean apartment at $500/month; Texas will be closer to that amount. Expect closer to $800-900 for a 2BR if you shop around.

4) With the continued influx of transplants to Texas, I think you'll have an easier time finding a job. All those people bring their money which boosts the economy - and again with lower overall taxes have it in their pocket to spend. That creates jobs.

However, while either city I'd plan on coming with a job, perhaps slightly more so in Texas. You don't want to be convincing landlords you "really will have a way to pay the rent".

5) If you opt for McKinney or Stillwater, neither are conducive to being carless. but I would be especially mindful of finding a job first in TX and then finding a place to live. The DFW metroplex is massive and you could easily be making a long and time-consuming drive to/from work. DFW traffic can be a bear - have the job first and then find a place a reasonable distance to work. Not only will you save your sanity, you'll save your $$$.

6) DFW is warmer than the bitter cold of MN, but keep in mind it gets colder here than I would have expected. It's nothing like MN, but don't expect it always above 55F either. On the weather, July and August are very hot in Texas. Not only does the normal high hit upper 90's, in the metroplex it doesn't cool down as much at night (partially due to the concrete). The technical low will hit 75F at night, but that's around 3-4AM. Even at 10-11PM when you're more inclined to be awake, the temp can easily still be 90F.

7) The purported rich/poor divide does exist in TX, but don't believe it doesn't exist in MN too. Stillwater is a great community, but it's not known for all the corporate CEO's sitting at the park holding hands in sing-alongs with hotel housekeepers or Target/Walmart cashiers. Either place will have the neighborhoods you'll be comfortable and not-so-comfortable because there's people like you or because the atmosphere will noticeably make you feel out of place.

I miss my family and friends, but given the better economics I've never regretted moving to Texas.
I know what you mean about Minnesota and taxes. However, for me, they seem to pay off for the most part. Sure, people make the move from Minnesota to Texas. I have a few friends that have done so, but Minnesota and the Twin Cities seem to keep growing at a nice steady pace and that's perfect for me. It is far from declining. In a way, I'm kind of glad that MSP is not booming at the rate DFW, Houston and Austin are and Minnesota is not growing half a million per year like Texas. Now that Texas is approaching 30 million residents, it may not always be the earthly paradise that it is today.

Old 08-31-2014, 07:58 AM

1,051 posts, read 1,695,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnesota Spring View Post
I know what you mean about Minnesota and taxes. However, for me, they seem to pay off for the most part. Sure, people make the move from Minnesota to Texas. I have a few friends that have done so, but Minnesota and the Twin Cities seem to keep growing at a nice steady pace and that's perfect for me. It is far from declining. In a way, I'm kind of glad that MSP is not booming at the rate DFW, Houston and Austin are and Minnesota is not growing half a million per year like Texas. Now that Texas is approaching 30 million residents, it may not always be the earthly paradise that it is today.
Earthly paradise? Things are going well for TX, growth-wise, but it's not exactly a scenic state... and it has plenty of problems (air pollution, poor public education system, etc.), so it's far from an earthly paradise.

I agree that the taxes in MN pay off. Parks and other public spaces are very well kept and abundant.

Old 08-31-2014, 08:51 AM

106 posts, read 161,180 times
I am a native Texan now living in Minnesota.

My more recent return visits have really convinced me that I will in all likelihood never be moving back. I am full of Texas pride and love the state on many levels, but it is Just. Too. Crowded. I would rather raise my kids in Minnesota.

It is concerning to me what Houston, Dallas/Fort Worth, and Austin feel like these days given the explosion in population. My suggestion would be to have a look at San Antonio - to me that is the most livable city in Texas now, especially if you don't enjoy an upper middle income.

You asked about other states, and I would throw out Tennessee and Oklahoma. Both are on the rise in my view, still are low cost, but lack the overcrowding and other concerns of their neighbors to the south (Georgia and Texas). I also think there is a reasonable amount of sophistication to those states, unlike other parts of the Deep South (Mississippi, Alabama, Arkansas, South Carolina). Florida just seems like a crowded, soulless mess to me. Louisiana seems too insular.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul