Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2014, 06:57 PM

134 posts, read 338,786 times

Advertisements

How refreshing to actually have a thread with useful information on St Paul or Minneapolis without the false statements and snarky comments! (regular readers will understand why) I'm so glad that the people who actually live in these neighborhoods finally feel free to speak up.

If you are working in Lilydale, I would definitely rule out Edina or Linden Hills. Those are great areas- but just no need to travel so far to good neighborhoods, walkability and schools. Highland Park and Mac-Groveland would be great places to look. Your budget may take you a bit further in Mac-Groveland. I'm in Highland and absolutely love the convenience, the proximity to everything, the schools, the neighborhoods and access to River/trails/parks. But I am surprised at some of the high housing prices. Just walking today and looked at a brochure of a house just down the street and it was quite a bit higher priced than I expected (almost double what I expected!). Perhaps they won't actually receive that for the house, but prices here have steadily increased in the 7 years that we've been here and houses don't stay on the market long-- all good signs of a stable, desirable neighborhood.
As far as schools, Horace Mann is excellent- but I wouldn't discount Highland Elementary. They have a fantastic math program, which will put your child way ahead in math (if that is something that interests you). Groveland Elementary is a good option, as is Capitol Hill Gifted and Talented Magnet school (must test to get in). Lots of good options- as well as many different catholic school options (Nativity, Holy Spirit, Highland) and Nova Classical Academy (which is a charter school). There isn't just one option here, which is a great thing! Good luck to you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2014, 08:29 PM

906 posts, read 1,767,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Libby01 View Post
But I am surprised at some of the high housing prices. Just walking today and looked at a brochure of a house just down the street and it was quite a bit higher priced than I expected (almost double what I expected!). Perhaps they won't actually receive that for the house, but prices here have steadily increased in the 7 years that we've been here and houses don't stay on the market long-- all good signs of a stable, desirable neighborhood.
I do think some of the prices of the current inventory in our area are bordering on ridiculous. This probably explains why there is so much inventory and so few homes under contract. I predict quite a few price reductions on some of these homes...

Old 07-27-2014, 09:36 PM

9,742 posts, read 11,163,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uptown_urbanist View Post
Me, too. And I say that as someone who lists Linden Hills as one of my favorite Twin Cities neighborhoods! I think you can find something with a similar vibe and strengths in St. Paul and eliminate the long commute.

That said, when looking at family-friendly St. Paul neighborhoods I'd also throw St. Anthony Park into the mix.
I had a chance to experience Linden Hills neighborhood for the 1st time this weekend and I LOVED the vibe! It would be a wonderful place to live.

Old 07-31-2014, 12:27 AM

413 posts, read 763,952 times
We lived in Mac-Groveland for three years. It's seriously an awesome neighborhood. One of my favorites in the Twin Cities. Unless you live on one of the main corridors where there will be a lot of traffic (which is a big reason we moved - we were on Hamline), you really can't go wrong.

The only thing negative I will say about St. Paul, is their snow removal is the WORST. It's like driving on bobsled tracks in the winter. Simply horrible.

Old 07-31-2014, 10:28 AM

1,365 posts, read 1,884,529 times
I live in Mac-Groveland and I love it! But I can't speak comparatively because I was lucky enough to discover this neighborhood when I first moved to the area 4-ish years ago.

My absolute favorite thing about this neighborhood is just how centrally located it is. I can be in either downtown in 15 minutes or less. It is also under 15 minutes' drive to the airport, but it is not in the flight path so there is no airplane noise. I can walk south to the Highland Village area or north to Grand Avenue or a few blocks east to the river. There is good highway access without being so near as to have undesirable side effects.

It is a very personal thing, but I also adore the style of the neighborhood. The housing stock from the nineteen-teens through the thirties appeals to me so much more than the more recent styles. I will freely admit it is a stereotype--and probably an unfair one at that--but I seem to get better very well with the sorts of people who choose to live in old houses. Maybe it has something to do with our mutual fondness for the quirks and scuffs that give such places character.

Old 07-31-2014, 12:08 PM

906 posts, read 1,767,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StPaulGal View Post
It is a very personal thing, but I also adore the style of the neighborhood. The housing stock from the nineteen-teens through the thirties appeals to me so much more than the more recent styles. I will freely admit it is a stereotype--and probably an unfair one at that--but I seem to get better very well with the sorts of people who choose to live in old houses. Maybe it has something to do with our mutual fondness for the quirks and scuffs that give such places character.
I don't think its unfair nor do I think its just the old houses that draw people to these areas in St. Paul. These neighborhoods just tend to have more neighborly and friendly people who care about their homes and care about each other. In all the areas I've lived prior, none of the neighbors even talked to each other. In the summer, I see my neighbors everyday and know whats going on in their and their childrens lives. Its a nice social aspect to living a dense urban area where the lot sizes are going to be small and there will be less privacy.

I second the opinion that we wouldn't move anywhere else unless our jobs forced us to. We love our neighborhood, our street, and our house. IMO, you can't beat the location in the TC.

Old 07-31-2014, 08:54 PM

357 posts, read 444,333 times
I grew up in a small rural southern Minnesota town, but for most of my adult life, I've lived in the Mac-Groveland and Crocus Hill areas of St. Paul. I've discovered that these neighborhoods are the closest thing I can find to the small community I grew up in. I've known my neighbors for decades. I run into them at the hardware store. Everywhere I go I see people I know and I feel at home.

So many people in the suburbs and family members who still live in a small town don't understand this. To them, the city is what they see on the evening news where crime and congestion are emphasized to raise viewership. The reality of these neighborhoods at least is just the opposite.

Old 01-31-2021, 07:37 PM

559 posts, read 1,324,019 times
I would say it is true. I live near this area and have friends that live there with kids. Can’t go wrong with this part of St. Paul. Even expand to look at Highland Park. Very nice and close to city and natural amenities.

Old 01-31-2021, 08:23 PM

6,556 posts, read 7,136,101 times
Mendota Heights is another area to look if you want a nice suburb near by. One of my clients moved from Summit Hill area of St Paul to Mendota Heights and now has a stream in their backyard which flows over a hidden gotta trespass to get to waterfall within their neighborhood.

Old 02-04-2021, 01:07 PM

441 posts, read 440,006 times
Thank you all for the useful information.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul