Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-26-2013, 11:36 AM

25 posts, read 28,026 times

Advertisements

Anyone familiar with school district 270? We are new to MN been here 3 years and live in a burb we are unhappy with and trying to get closer to the city. We have a 8th grader, K, and 4th grader. They are biracial. The district they are in now has been a horrible fit. We have been told Golden Valley may be a better fit. Any insight would be great. Thanks!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2013, 02:50 AM

We live in Maple Grove now are younger aged parents and just feel out of place. I think the city may be more what we are looking for but with kids I worry. My kids are also very into sports basketball and baseball so I want to make sure they can get a good quality program. we just don't known a lot about MN it seems a little overwhelming so many areas so any help would be great. We work in Eden Prairie and Golden Valley but I have heard moving to EP would be just like being in MG

Old 11-30-2013, 02:50 AM

327 posts, read 526,419 times
You've been here 3 years. Can you and your partner talk to work colleagues and get some info/opinions that way? It's not clear if the horrible fit is due to the biracial aspect or other elements. If the former, you can visit this site's city info and see the racial distribution of specific cities. Can you visit a potential school and check out the vibe?

I wonder how much longer until most of us notice only one race--the human race.

Old 11-30-2013, 07:32 AM

We have had a lot of conflicting information from friends so I was hopeful this might help. I am sure in this situation everyone has their favorite suburbs and areas and we will have to do some footwork to figure it out. My daughter has had a lot of situations of being told if she straightened her hair and would look like the other girls they would play with her and kids just grabbing her hair in the halls. My two sons have faced issues too. As much as some of this is sadly life and the way some are raised and issues our children will face it seems very exaggerated here as we have lived in many states. That's a great idea to look up the make up of area schools we are thinking of moving and go from there. It's just hard when your kids say they hate MN and you will be in the state awhile and I know there have to be areas they could fall in love with MN. Thanks for your reply

Old 11-30-2013, 08:32 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,303,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trying2FigureMNOut View Post
We have had a lot of conflicting information from friends so I was hopeful this might help. I am sure in this situation everyone has their favorite suburbs and areas and we will have to do some footwork to figure it out. My daughter has had a lot of situations of being told if she straightened her hair and would look like the other girls they would play with her and kids just grabbing her hair in the halls. My two sons have faced issues too. As much as some of this is sadly life and the way some are raised and issues our children will face it seems very exaggerated here as we have lived in many states. That's a great idea to look up the make up of area schools we are thinking of moving and go from there. It's just hard when your kids say they hate MN and you will be in the state awhile and I know there have to be areas they could fall in love with MN. Thanks for your reply
I think there would be plenty of other options for your children. It does seem that the north metro,in general, seems to have more issues but that's a very general statement. Kids are kids everywhere and if it's not their hair, its something. Its part of growing up and learning to find your place. If your kids are really having that hard of a time, by all means move elsewhere, but just make sure its real and not just the way kids tend to exaggerate things before you do so. Whether Golden Valley will be a "better" place, who knows until you go look at the schools, see how the kids interact, etc. As far as "looking like the other kids"..that is kind of a middle school thing all the way around...

Old 11-30-2013, 09:51 AM

I agree kids can just be nasty but there have been other very race related comments made that I didn't want too touch on too much here because I hate to make it seem all Maple Grove is racist. We hAve met some great people here just not enough to make us want to stay. We just happened to pick MG not knowing much of MN and it would help us too to be closer to work. Other places we have lived Boston,Atlanta being further out from the city seemed to have better schools but it doesn't seem to be the case here. Schools seem to be just as good in parts of the city. We would love to be closer to the city museums, zoo ect.

Old 11-30-2013, 12:47 PM

1,669 posts, read 6,234,824 times
#270 is Hopkins School District. I have never heard anything bad about it. Multiple of my friends of a few different races/ethnicities/religions attended school there.

Golden Valley is divided in half by Hopkins School District and Robbinsdale School District, I would pick Hopkins out of the two.

Old 11-30-2013, 04:13 PM

Thank you that's really good to know. I think we are leaning between Golden Valley, St Louis Park or in the city. So it's very helpful to know what areas of GV to look at to stay in that school district

Old 11-30-2013, 07:33 PM

1,669 posts, read 6,234,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trying2FigureMNOut View Post
Thank you that's really good to know. I think we are leaning between Golden Valley, St Louis Park or in the city. So it's very helpful to know what areas of GV to look at to stay in that school district
Here is a map of the boundaries if you have a PDF reader installed...

http://www.goldenvalleymn.gov/about/...strict-map.pdf

Old 12-01-2013, 05:55 AM

Great thank you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul