Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2007, 11:20 AM

2 posts, read 8,433 times

Advertisements

Hello... I am looking to move to Minneapolis from Naples, Florida... I have been teaching for 11 years. I have taught in "urban school settings", and have no problem working with people of many ethnic backgrounds.

I am wondering which public high schools in Minneapolis have VERY HIGH STANDARDS for all students. If any teachers out there could share some insight, that would be great... I am looking for a school with a strong administrative team, one that supports teachers as far as discipline is concerned, and NOT one that gives athletes special privileges, nor one that thinks that minority students are expected to fail.

I have young kids myself and would like to live and work in a "good" neighborhood, so our kids can go to the best public schools possible.

Any advice would be greatly apreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2007, 01:45 PM

2,507 posts, read 8,560,709 times
Mpls. has alot of variation in the quality of their high schools. None are apathetic, but some are just not looking up. South is in a sketchy area, but the school itself is very good. It is a magnet school for the arts, and has a diverse demographic.
Southwest is in a posh area, but is still very diverse. A strong IB program and favorable test scores. Southwest is on par with alot of suburban schools. I would say that both these schools have high standards. I don't know how these schools interact with their teachers, and I am not a teacher. I would send my kids to either of these schools. Southwest area has better elementary schools, particularly Burroughs. Hopefully this gives you some preliminary insight. Good luck
---Minnehahapolitan

Old 11-21-2007, 02:50 PM

20,793 posts, read 61,290,510 times
Do you want to be in Minneapolis proper or in the area, suburbs ok?

Old 11-21-2007, 04:23 PM

Golfgal
Read the question and ask that question again.

Old 11-21-2007, 04:59 PM

20,793 posts, read 61,290,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnehahapolitan View Post
Golfgal
Read the question and ask that question again.
Many people from outside of Minnesota say they want to move to Minneapolis and then start talking about living in the suburbs. No different then someone moving to say, Atlanta and then actually living in Alpharetta or some suburb. It is a valid question.

Old 11-21-2007, 09:05 PM

1,669 posts, read 6,233,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
Many people from outside of Minnesota say they want to move to Minneapolis and then start talking about living in the suburbs. No different then someone moving to say, Atlanta and then actually living in Alpharetta or some suburb. It is a valid question.
There is also people that are used to being around cities with huge boundries rather than "rings of suburbs" completely surrounding a city with small boundries like Minneapolis. Minnetonka and Plymouth would still be city proper in Charlotte, NC, even though it is a smaller metro area by population. The city boundries of Jacksonville, Florida cover an entire county.

It just doesn't get much more opposite of urban than Naples, Florida.

Old 11-24-2007, 06:57 PM

2 posts, read 8,433 times
I have lived in Mexico City--I lived there for 5 years in fact. I have also lived in Pusan, South Korea. Both of these cities are monstrous in comparison to Minneapolis.

I haven't even started to look for jobs--I am just trying to get a feel for the city.

Having lived in big cities, I know that there are areas I want to avoid.

I don't want to have to put a club on my steering wheel and have bars on my window (and bring in even something as affordable as my child's car seat) like when I was in Mexico City. I don't want to have to fight tooth and nail for parking spots at work either.

As far as schools are concerned... I am teaching in the "ghetto" (as they call it) in Naples. Basically, the poor kids whose parents are serving the rich retirees who live here. The administration is all about sports, and rather than helping the "ghetto" boys get out of the "ghetto" lifestyle, they just feed it--teaching especiall the boys that they can make it big in the pros, but don't even focus on the academics. Changing a failing grade is not uncommon.

So... I am looking for high schools with strong administration that supports academics, academics, academics... Of course, supporting the athletic program is good as well, just as long as academics come first.

As far as a place to live, I'd like to be able to walk down the street without breathing in the exhaust of the traffic, without encountering a bunch of stray dogs (or stray adolescents with nothing to do). I am looking for a NICE middle-class neighborhood, with neighbors who take care of their lawns and perhaps even look out for each other.

Maybe it is all a dream...

Old 11-24-2007, 08:13 PM

9 posts, read 42,142 times
Aw, sweetie - its not a dream at all. That is one of the reasons my family and I pushed so hard to get back home (lived in Indianapolis, IN for 5 years). There are several school districts that are top-notch in the State check out I.S.D. #196 or I.S.D. #194. They have several schools that are reasonable distance to Minneapolis proper. coming from Indy, where there is a murder at least every other day, and gangs 'tagging' in the 'burbs to get new recruits... I kind of know what it's like (I taught at an urban community college, where many of my students were told by their H.S. teachers that they were never going to make it out of the ghetto or barrio... man, that pi**ed me off.) Do your research with the different school districts' websites and local newspapers.

best of luck to you!

Old 11-24-2007, 10:11 PM

2,654 posts, read 5,760,455 times
read up on Patrick Henry High School. Its one of the top schools in the country.

Old 11-24-2007, 10:38 PM

There are never stray dogs here, and even the lawns in the ghetto here are still green. 99% of this city fits your description.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul