Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2013, 06:00 PM

16 posts, read 29,566 times

Advertisements

I grew up in the Hennepin County suburbs, and lived in Minneapolis for a while as well. I left in 1990, and I'm wondering if my 'rose colored glasses' Minnesota memories have anything to do with the way it is now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2013, 10:24 PM

1,816 posts, read 3,030,264 times
Well, Minneapolis is larger in population, safer, and has gentrified a decent amount.

The suburbs as probably more diverse.

But what info are you seeking exactly?

Old 10-08-2013, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xandrex View Post
Well, Minneapolis is larger in population, safer, and has gentrified a decent amount.

The suburbs as probably more diverse.

But what info are you seeking exactly?

Thanks xandrex. I was mostly just looking for people to free associate, and share whatever came to their minds. Any info is good.

Old 10-08-2013, 02:07 PM

2,362 posts, read 2,998,886 times
There are more Whole Foods now.

Old 10-08-2013, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafferty Daniel View Post
There are more Whole Foods now.
I love WF, but it's always so crowded! ;-) I would probably stick to Byerly's.

Old 10-08-2013, 05:03 PM

1,606 posts, read 3,345,602 times
Although I moved to Ohio about two years ago, I get back for frequent visits.
Here's some random observations about differences between 1990 and now:

The State Fair is still awesome.
There are lots more coffeehouses all around the city.
KQ 92 still plays Deep Purple, Aerosmith and Van halen
WCCO Radio is not what it was in the 60s, 70s or 80s.
There's a lot more ethic restaurants, Asian, Mexican, South American, African
The Mall of America opened in '92 and is a behemoth
Lots more students live near the U of M ( no longer a commuter campus)
Uptown has grown and spread into LynLake
biking is very popular!
More people probably associate the Twin Cities with the movie Fargo than the Mary Tyler Moore show
Light Rail finally arrived in 2004 and is being expanded
The area around the Acme Comedy Club used to be desolate, but is now very well developed and hip and trendy. So is the rest of the Mpls riverfront, kicked off in part by the opening of the Stone Arch Bridge in 1993

Old 10-08-2013, 05:34 PM

1,068 posts, read 1,431,652 times
Pretty sure NE wasn't the artsy hipster haven in 1990 that it has become: 13th Ave NE from what I understand used to be pretty desolate, but now has the renoveated Ritz Theater and nearby 331 live music club anchoring the area which has restaurants, a couple of coffee shops and a couple of retail spots (though the landlord forced Shuga Records out with a ridiculously high amount and it's been like 2 years and no takers still) and Psycho Suzi's used to be a dodgy bar (Gabby's?) where shootings and stabbing occurred frequently (about the worst thing at Psycho Suzi's is that your tiki drink might be too sweet). Nicollet south of Downtown is "Eat Street" and new places all along E 38th have been popping up. And yes, lots of biking here: just over a year ago the city doubled the number of bike lanes on its streets and before that it was already way ahead of most American cities. Uptown is probably a lot more different than you remember: lots more higher end chain stores and yuppies abound.

Old 10-08-2013, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MplsTodd View Post
Although I moved to Ohio about two years ago, I get back for frequent visits.
Here's some random observations about differences between 1990 and now:

The State Fair is still awesome.
There are lots more coffeehouses all around the city.
KQ 92 still plays Deep Purple, Aerosmith and Van halen
WCCO Radio is not what it was in the 60s, 70s or 80s.
There's a lot more ethic restaurants, Asian, Mexican, South American, African
The Mall of America opened in '92 and is a behemoth
Lots more students live near the U of M ( no longer a commuter campus)
Uptown has grown and spread into LynLake
biking is very popular!
More people probably associate the Twin Cities with the movie Fargo than the Mary Tyler Moore show
Light Rail finally arrived in 2004 and is being expanded
The area around the Acme Comedy Club used to be desolate, but is now very well developed and hip and trendy. So is the rest of the Mpls riverfront, kicked off in part by the opening of the Stone Arch Bridge in 1993
-------------------

The State Fair! My mom dragged me through the "Craft" Building, unwillingly. I would love it now. I remember the apple honey candy!

KQ92...hmmm... I think I won a Hall and Oats album from them for being the 18th caller. Or something like that.

I miss Vietnamese food. Mmmmm...

The MOA sounds overwhelming. Right now I'm dreaming of cattails, red winged blackbirds, crickets, and quiet. I'm sure it's fun during the holidays, though.

Good old Uptown....reminds me of my youth.

Light Rail... Well, this reminds me of everything I want to escape, but I guess it goes with population increases.

The Riverfront sounds fun.

Great post! Thank you!

Old 10-08-2013, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mplsite View Post
Pretty sure NE wasn't the artsy hipster haven in 1990 that it has become: 13th Ave NE from what I understand used to be pretty desolate, but now has the renoveated Ritz Theater and nearby 331 live music club anchoring the area which has restaurants, a couple of coffee shops and a couple of retail spots (though the landlord forced Shuga Records out with a ridiculously high amount and it's been like 2 years and no takers still) and Psycho Suzi's used to be a dodgy bar (Gabby's?) where shootings and stabbing occurred frequently (about the worst thing at Psycho Suzi's is that your tiki drink might be too sweet). Nicollet south of Downtown is "Eat Street" and new places all along E 38th have been popping up. And yes, lots of biking here: just over a year ago the city doubled the number of bike lanes on its streets and before that it was already way ahead of most American cities. Uptown is probably a lot more different than you remember: lots more higher end chain stores and yuppies abound.

I will have to check out this artsy hipster haven....something I would have loved when I was younger, and maybe even now.

Oh man....I admit...I like Tiki drinks. Don't judge. And they're a great replacement for stabbings and shootings, for sure.

The biking....Ok...so can you enjoyably bike without running into people, or having them run into you? This is key.

I actually remember yuppies in Uptown even then.....it's ok, I'm biologically part yuppy, so hopefully I can blend.

Great post! Thank you!

Old 10-08-2013, 06:38 PM

3,875 posts, read 4,704,541 times
If you have a minute to spare, please tell me briefly about what WCCO radio meant to you folks back in the 60's, 70's & 80's or before then. I believe that someone other than the op mentioned it as something that has changed since 1990.
I grew up well to your south but picked the station up regularly on my parent's stereo as well as on my little Westinghouse transistor.
The reason I ask about WCCO is that my brother & I drove from the north woods on down through the Twin Cities during the summer of 2012 when the Minnesota State Fair was running & WCCO was broadcasting live from the fair grounds. I was shocked at how entertaining their program mix was & how informed, professional & funny the program hosts were. It reminded me of what I once enjoyed about old style am band radio & what was once commonly found on the radio dial.
WCCO's 2012 version struck me as being a contemporary & entertaining station for adults but nevertheless one that provoked a wave of nostalgia in me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul