Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What is the best thing about Minneapolis?
Weather 3 15.79%
People 3 15.79%
condition of the city 5 26.32%
transportation 0 0%
Overall things to do 8 42.11%
Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2006, 10:02 AM

15 posts, read 51,652 times

Advertisements

Thanks for that wealth of information. I was going to go straight into a four year university, but I am a little behind in school. My home life in tattered right now, which is why I am wanting to move somewhere. My situation is affecting my whole life including school. I want to get my GED, attend a two year, and from there transfer up to a four year. Sounds like a plan to me.

The reason I chose Minneapolis as a prospective relo, is due to the fact that is looks like a place that offers what I want. Also, I like living in or near a large city. I don't like small cities. I was in Arkansas last summer (2005) and went crazy. I never thought about getting a job at Borders or Barnes and Noble. You are right. With my experience, I could possibly get a job at those places. Thanks for the heads up.

Daniel True
[email]TrueDaniel_G@hotmail.com[/email]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2006, 12:01 PM

213 posts, read 1,088,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daniel_true View Post
Thanks for that wealth of information. I was going to go straight into a four year university, but I am a little behind in school. My home life in tattered right now, which is why I am wanting to move somewhere. My situation is affecting my whole life including school. I want to get my GED, attend a two year, and from there transfer up to a four year. Sounds like a plan to me.

The reason I chose Minneapolis as a prospective relo, is due to the fact that is looks like a place that offers what I want. Also, I like living in or near a large city. I don't like small cities. I was in Arkansas last summer (2005) and went crazy. I never thought about getting a job at Borders or Barnes and Noble. You are right. With my experience, I could possibly get a job at those places. Thanks for the heads up.

Daniel True
TrueDaniel_G@hotmail.com
Just don't cut yourself short. If your grades were good until recently and you can explain that your home life affected your performance, there could still be a place for you at a 4-yr university. Especially if you get your GED and show that you have the stick-to-it-ness needed to make the best of a bad situation. And if you are willing to spend $1000 per month (that's $12,000 per year), I think you could afford a 4-year university (tuition, room, and board).

You seem bright, determined, knowledgeable. Plus (b/c of your situation) you offer diversity to an otherwise drab undergraduate college population. I think they'd scoop you up in a minute.

The cost bennies associated with 2-yr CCs usually depend upon the student living at home (under their parents' roof)--that's where the savngs comes in.

Best of luck to you. I have a wealth of experience/info with the MN higher education system.

Old 10-16-2006, 04:55 PM

19 posts, read 98,644 times
Northern Minneapolis is still North Minneapolis I would say. But maybe Northern Minneapolis refers to the far north edge of the city.

There is no Hostel type housing here that I know of. I still think your best option upon ariving here alone would be to search the classifieds or city pages for a "room for rent" in a private house. Have some cash saved up so you can find a different place if you need to and as a buffer till you find some income.

Old 10-17-2006, 07:11 PM

66 posts, read 489,398 times
ROOMATE! minneapolis is a very single city especially downtown/loring/uptown areas we lived in loring and across the park from us was minneapolis community/technical college rent in the loring neighborhood is @6-700ish for 1 bed 8-1000 for 2 bedroom. and walking distance to downtown(10 min.) and loring park. zip code for loring and most of downtown 55403

The city just this past spring opened a STATE-OF-THE-ART library on the north end of downtown awesome building great architecture we moved before it was finished.

Old 10-20-2006, 06:39 PM

Default Reply

Thanks for that info. One more question. Do you think 1000 dollars would be adequate to have when I make my move to Minneapolis initially? I am trying to save money, but would like to know based on everyone's perception of rent and the prices there, if I should save more money.. How much should I save, based on your info on prices and stuff? thanks guys and I do appreciate your help.

Daniel True

Old 10-23-2006, 07:01 PM

Default Reply

Where did everyone go? Seems like everyone in Minnesota is gone from here. Anyway, whenever someone could get to my question, that would be great. Thanks.

Daniel True

Old 10-24-2006, 11:09 PM

19 posts, read 98,793 times
I used to live in Anchorage - born and raised (lived in the Jewel Lake area) and I know what you're saying about not being able to handle the cold as I have lived in Las Vegas for the past 5 years. When we live in the desert our blood starts to thin. But handling the cold is like riding a bike - you don't forget. I went to Minneapolis in the dead of winter last year and I was able to handle it fine even though I haven't lived in winter for awhile.

I'm actually relocating to Minneapolis next spring and I'm looking forward to it - winter and all. I also spent three years in Fairbanks (after living in LA for my last two years of high school) where the "high temperature" can be -25 below zero. Not wind chill - actual temperature (lows were around -40 below zero). I handled that fine and I know you will too. We Alaskans are a tough breed. The only thing I wasn't able to handle is not getting a Permanent Fund anymore. Good luck!

Old 10-30-2006, 09:56 AM

213 posts, read 1,088,144 times
Default money

Quote:
Originally Posted by daniel_true View Post
Thanks for that info. One more question. Do you think 1000 dollars would be adequate to have when I make my move to Minneapolis initially? I am trying to save money, but would like to know based on everyone's perception of rent and the prices there, if I should save more money.. How much should I save, based on your info on prices and stuff? thanks guys and I do appreciate your help.

Daniel True
I would say $1000 is not enough to make a move across country. You will need first month's rent plus security deposit--plus electric, utilities, and phone hookup fees. Plus some food to tide you over, money for transportation (not to mention the money it will take to get here), and furniture (at the very least, a cot). Even if you buy from Goodwill, you'll need more than $1000. Keep saving.

Old 10-31-2006, 07:20 AM

19 posts, read 98,644 times
Yep, I agree with the above. Even if are planning on finding a room for rent, roomate, 1000 dollers does not leave much margin if stuff goes wrong. Better to have more cash.

Old 10-31-2006, 11:16 PM

153 posts, read 711,804 times
$1000 won't get you far.

When I moved here from Michigan I think I spent around $2000 just on the moving part. When I got here I had to put a deposit on an apartment down, connect the utilities, pay first months rent, etc, etc. All in all I think I needed about $2000 for startup money. Thus in total for the move and the first month or so in the cities I spent about $4000.

I would expect your expenses to be close... Also I wouldn't advise room for rents or roomates unless you know the people you're dealing with. I know quite a few people who have bit the financial bullet on those types of deals.

Anyway the cheapest apartment I've ever seen in the Metro Burbs was about $510. As for downtown in either Minneapolis or St. Paul - I couldn't tell you.

One other thing - it sounds like you are moving from the south. Be prepared to buy some clothes to compensate for the cold. I know a few people who moved up here and figured a windbreaker was sufficent. They got to know the "North Face" line very quickly.

Good luck to you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul