Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-20-2013, 01:42 PM

2 posts, read 7,081 times

Advertisements

My girlfriend and I would like to buy a house, but I'm at a loss as to what areas to target due to our very opposite daily commutes. She works in the northern suburbs (Anoka/Coon Rapids), and my office is soon to be relocated to South Bloomington (from Eden Prairie). We currently reside in St. Louis Park.

Being that our drives are so opposite, "middle ground" is my natural starting point, but unfamiliar with some of these obvious answers, and what the commutes will be like in the directions we are heading. I'm pretty familiar with driving expectations in the South/SW 'burbs, but I know nothing about driving to and from the northern 'burbs.

We do like St. Louis Park, which is a great location for us (late 20's couple), but having a hard time finding a house in our price range (up to $230ish, but lower is good) that has a 2 car garage and a non-galley kitchen (both are must-haves).

Golden Valley, Minnetonka, Plymouth, New Hope - initially being considered, but I know NOTHING about them.
Richfield - Should it be off the list due to her commute?

Thoughts on these places, or other ideas where we should look?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2013, 05:59 PM

59 posts, read 103,451 times
dlw23 - I just sold a great home in Richfield to a couple in their 20s for exactly the price range you're looking for, and there were many in that price range, and there are some great neighborhoods you can look at in that community. The problem with Richfield is your wife's commute, of course. You should be able to find something half-way that fits your price range and your needs.

You mentioned a lot of great communities in your post. Golden Valley and St. Louis Park are possibilities, and there are some parts of Plymouth and New Hope where you might have success as well. What kind of house are you looking for? Are you handy? Would you be OK doing a little bit of work or do you want a place that's move in ready?

All best,

Michael

Old 03-20-2013, 06:35 PM

6,573 posts, read 7,167,153 times
I take care of the lawn and snow for a house flipper who's doing a major remodel of a house in St Louis Park in the Minnetonka Blvd/Georgia Ave area that with a brand new two car garage and will fall a tad above your 230k range when completed very soon.

Old 03-20-2013, 11:25 PM

988 posts, read 1,830,435 times
As far as drive, I would think New Hope or Golden Valley could work for her, both being relatively easy to 169. You might think about Hopkins too. I would guess the price could be found in Hopkins, though being somewhat older housing stock the non-galley kitchen and 2 car garage might be a challenge.

Also, perhaps there are some neighborhoods in North Minneapolis that might work? North has the bad reputation overall because of just some of its neighborhoods, so that may bring prices down. However, neighborhoods such as Victory can be nice. North will suit your lady going to the north a little more than you to the south, but depending where you could get to Hwy. 100.

Old 03-21-2013, 04:42 AM

292 posts, read 892,334 times
Also look into Crystal and Robbinsdale. Nice first ring suburbs with plenty of houses in your price range with easy highway access.

Old 03-21-2013, 06:58 AM

687 posts, read 1,257,363 times
Maybe Roseville/Lauderdale/Falcon Heights/ St. Anthony?

The commute north would be all freeway to Anoka. North of downtown Minneapolis 35W rarely backs up in rush hour before 36 splits off.

Old 11-25-2013, 10:23 AM

1 posts, read 1,076 times
I would highly suggest the Humboldt Greenway area in N Mpls, the houses were all built in the early 2000's and the bad stuff (crime wise) is at least a couple miles away from that area. Big houses, reasonable prices from what I've seen. Close to 94 and 694 so easy to get anywhere. The surrounding areas are older w/ smaller homes, but a great neighborhood for a young couple or family.

Old 11-25-2013, 03:27 PM

6 posts, read 14,956 times
My wife and I are currently purchasing our house and we too had the same issue in terms of each one working on the opposite side of the Metro. After carefully evaluating it came down to two questions.

How long do we plan to live in our house?
How long do we plan to stay at our jobs?

We eventually settled on a location that we don't mind living for the next 7+ years and both commute because there is no telling where our next job will be located in the Metro.

So unless you both plan to stay put at your jobs for a long time then it makes sense to pick a central location for your house. Otherwise, pick a place you both would love to come home to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul