Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2012, 08:23 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,447,449 times

Advertisements

Looking for a high in the mid 60's on Wednesday. We were out golfing yesterday, plan to go again today.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2013, 06:31 AM

1,823 posts, read 2,287,817 times
I don't know if the OP ever made the move here. I've lived in Minnesota for nearly 60 years. Climate change has absolutely effected the weather here. The weather in the past 20 years is much different than it was 20 to 60 years ago. It isn't as cold and there isn't as much snow.

It did snow earlier this year, but the snow is gone now. There's a thin layer of ice on our lake. My brother in law grew up in southern Minnesota. They used to snowmobile every day all winter when he was growing up. Those days are long gone. People that want to snowmobile have to go somewhere else, like northern Wisconsin where they have lake effect snow.

In early February, we used to have a week to week and a half where the low was -20 to -25 and the high was -5. Those days are long gone. It still could get down to -15 with a high of +5 for about 2 days, the warm up a little with another couple cold days in early February.

If anything, the weather is more irratic. Sometimes we have thunder and lightening in the winter months on rare occasions in the past two decades. That never happened 40 to 60 years ago.

So, a snowless Thanksgiving and even Christmas is more common that it used to be. If we do have snow on the ground during Christmas, it usually isn't much in recent years.

My tolerance for the cold and snowy weather is much less than it used to be. This is partly because of a big weight and body fat loss in recent years, so I feel the cold much more than I used to feel it. Plus, I'm sick of the cold and snow after living here in Minnesota too long.

Old 11-29-2013, 12:52 PM

20,793 posts, read 61,447,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davephan View Post
I don't know if the OP ever made the move here. I've lived in Minnesota for nearly 60 years. Climate change has absolutely effected the weather here. The weather in the past 20 years is much different than it was 20 to 60 years ago. It isn't as cold and there isn't as much snow.

It did snow earlier this year, but the snow is gone now. There's a thin layer of ice on our lake. My brother in law grew up in southern Minnesota. They used to snowmobile every day all winter when he was growing up. Those days are long gone. People that want to snowmobile have to go somewhere else, like northern Wisconsin where they have lake effect snow.

In early February, we used to have a week to week and a half where the low was -20 to -25 and the high was -5. Those days are long gone. It still could get down to -15 with a high of +5 for about 2 days, the warm up a little with another couple cold days in early February.

If anything, the weather is more irratic. Sometimes we have thunder and lightening in the winter months on rare occasions in the past two decades. That never happened 40 to 60 years ago.

So, a snowless Thanksgiving and even Christmas is more common that it used to be. If we do have snow on the ground during Christmas, it usually isn't much in recent years.

My tolerance for the cold and snowy weather is much less than it used to be. This is partly because of a big weight and body fat loss in recent years, so I feel the cold much more than I used to feel it. Plus, I'm sick of the cold and snow after living here in Minnesota too long.
Actually, I think the opposite is true--the years in the 60's and 70's were snowier than normal. Our resident weather guy posted about this a few years ago. We lucked out growing up that we "always' had snow but I think those were the unusual years. Average snowfall in the Twin Cities is only about 45"/year or so. Last year we had 60" I think, the year before 12, before that was 88.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul