Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2012, 03:00 PM

145 posts, read 289,593 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone on CD. A quick question... I am looking to start a new life for myself and plan on planting roots in a brand new place. I'll be honest here - I'm from Milwaukee, WI and my first choice is honestly Cleveland, Ohio simply because A) I love it there and B) The Cost of Living is ridiculously cheap!!! I have however thought of moving somewhere completely different. Like Minneapolis* for instance. Please note: I have started this exact thread for other cities I am looking at as well. I am simply trying to cover all of my bases so I know I am making the correct choice financially as well as emotionally. So here is my situation (and this may very well sound stupid), I am single, 34 years old, and don't have a college degree. I do not have a vehicle, nor do I plan to get one as that will save me a lot of money. I will be moving with a total of $13,000 which is my total "Life's Savings". I will be coming with no job (unless I get one when I take vacation at work in April) and am willing to work ANYWHERE as long as it provides income. I work in a factory setting now and I make $11.92/hr and would like to match that (if not) exceed that. Also please note that I have very little debt. My range as far as rent goes is NO HIGHER than $600/month (insert laugh here). That's all I feel comfortable paying anyway. I am willing to go higher if needed (up to say $750), but I better have a job that can support the cost. I am open to living in a rooming house (Room For Rent) of sorts to begin my new life if need be. But I DO NOT want to do a Roommate situation. Now if this sounds completely insane and downright undo-able, than please let me know so I can scratch Minneapolis off of my list. Also note: I need to stay within the city limits so all suburbs are completely OUT of the question. I need a "safe" area with a low amount of drug/violent crime activity. To give an overall idea of my "comfort level", I have lived in Chicago's Uptown as well as (where I now stay) Avenues West in Milwaukee.
So the bottom line questions are...
1) Is $13,000 enough? I would like to get a place right when I get to town, so I will probably pay 6-12 months of rent right off the bat. That will take a large chunk ($6k or so) of the $13k, but will give me up to a year to recoup that money.
2) How "transplant friendly" would you say the Twin Cities are?
3) City Life/Urban Decay: Do the Twin Cities feel like a real city. I'm not saying it has to be New York, but it has to have a “hustle & bustle” feel to it. High pedestrian/vehicle traffic, a nightlife, and overall feel of urban living is what I’m after. Also, I find Urban Decay/Ghettos to be beautiful (in a weird way), but I don't want to be engulfed by it (think Detroit). Is there a good amount of these areas to see in the Twin Cities?
I don't know if this is coming across as a crazy idea or just simply a good plan. I will say one thing though... I NEVER want to return to Wisconsin again!!! That's ultimately the plan. I need to grow up, and start a life for myself somewhere completely new.

*Please Note: Unlike all the other cities I am looking into, I actually have a sister in Saint Paul. I don't know if having family nearby is really something to factor in or not (as I really don't mind either way). I'm just throwing it out there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2012, 08:07 AM

102 posts, read 162,559 times
Hey, sounds like you're doing your homework, good for you. As a lifelong resident that's also 34 I can offer some insight to some of your questions.

Either the Uptown or North East Mpls areas sound to be your speed, likely more so with Uptown for the reasons you pointed out and you could quite likely find a spot. I would be leery of putting all your eggs in to one basket (all your $ down on rent), because if you find a spot right away and it turns out you need/want to move before you thought then you'll be stuck. Uptown is decent but there are certain areas in and near that get questionable. There isn't a big ghetto scene here but there are areas if you like being around that. North Minneapolis comes to mind, though I for one wouldn't spend much time there unless I had to...just the nature of things if you get my meaning.

Between Uptown and Downtown which are basically separated by Hwy 94, you'll find all the urban life you like. Check out sites like Apartment Finder and some of the zip codes for the areas mentioned; this page seems to have some good info as there are a lot of zipcodes in use. Minneapolis Zip Codes - Zip Codes in Minneapolis. You'll be able to get a feel for what you can afford rent wise.

I would say you can pull this off, it's not like moving to Hawaii and having been to Cleveland...the Twin Cities would be a MUCH better choice, imho. I may be biased but the Twin Cities really are a jewel of the Midwest, there's a lot to offer and while the cost of living may be higher than some areas, it still doesn't cost as much as Chicago, despite having our own big city feel.

Old 08-16-2012, 12:55 PM

120 posts, read 209,142 times
You're single and 34 years old. I'd suggest looking downtown. You can find great places to rent at the Carlyle, Grant Park, Skayscape, etc. These are wear professionals tend to live. The best restaraunts and nightlife is downtown, so you'll be within walking distance or a short cab ride away.

You could look at South Minneapolis if you wanted to do a more suburban thing. It is a bit quieter out that way. Uptown is in the same area, although it is a little more trendy than South Minneapolis. Uptown tends to cater to a younger crowd, typically hipsters in their 20s, so it might not be your scene.

Warehouse district is another good spot in the city. It can get a little sketchy in the late hours, but otherwise it is a fun part of town.

These are the prime places you'll hear recommended for single young professionals.
Good luck!

Old 08-16-2012, 12:58 PM

23,766 posts, read 29,086,638 times
are you willing to renounce your allegiance to the Packers and leave your cheese-head hat behind?

Old 08-16-2012, 03:19 PM

464 posts, read 803,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slevin Kelevra View Post
You're single and 34 years old. I'd suggest looking downtown. You can find great places to rent at the Carlyle, Grant Park, Skayscape, etc. These are wear professionals tend to live. The best restaraunts and nightlife is downtown, so you'll be within walking distance or a short cab ride away.

You could look at South Minneapolis if you wanted to do a more suburban thing. It is a bit quieter out that way. Uptown is in the same area, although it is a little more trendy than South Minneapolis. Uptown tends to cater to a younger crowd, typically hipsters in their 20s, so it might not be your scene.

Warehouse district is another good spot in the city. It can get a little sketchy in the late hours, but otherwise it is a fun part of town.

These are the prime places you'll hear recommended for single young professionals.
Good luck!
The OP mentioned not wanting to spend more than $600 per month on an apartment and not wanting a roommate. I think that effectively rules out downtown, particularly the places you mentioned.

To the OP: you mention being open to a rooming house situation, but not wanting a roommate. So does that mean something like sharing a house with other people is out?

Old 08-16-2012, 04:16 PM

228 posts, read 665,494 times
He also doesn't have a car/won't drive. Where are the factories located in town? I would think they would be somewhat hard to get to without a car and located predominately in the suburbs.

OP: There is sort of a hustle and bustle feel downtown that is somewhat similar to Milwaukee. I know what you mean by urban decay, and there isn't much here at all (unlike MKE - I am thinking predominately of the old brewery downtown they are now making into condos or whatever, or some of the really interesting brick homes/warehouses north of downtown that are abandoned or have been reworked near UWM).

Also, given your previously living situations and other preferred choice, have you considered what it would be like to not live near a large body of water? I have struggled at times with feeling very landlocked up here and miss Lake Michigan more than I thought was ever possible If you can visit here first that would be a good idea, sometimes its those little things that come out of left field that can bother you about a new locale!

Finally, remember your taxes will be higher here.

Old 08-16-2012, 10:46 PM

643 posts, read 1,038,772 times
There is some light industrial in the Seward neighborhood of Minneapolis. It is common to find people in the neighborhood renting out sections of their home but you have to share the kitchen, sometimes the bathroom. But you will find your <$600 rent.

Old 08-17-2012, 09:04 AM

145 posts, read 289,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
are you willing to renounce your allegiance to the Packers and leave your cheese-head hat behind?
Three words mod cut This doesn't however mean I'm a Purple People Eater (or whatever you guys are) either though. I am a Browns fan. Always have been and always will be. Sorry about that. But as long as the Browns aren't playing the Vikings and/or they didn't make the Playoffs (yeah right) then I'd be more than happy to deck out some purple. It's not like I don't like the Vikings. Hell my sister was a cheerleader for the Minnesota Vikings for 2 seasons a good decade ago now. True story.

Last edited by golfgal; 08-18-2012 at 05:58 AM.. Reason: language

Old 08-18-2012, 09:39 AM

11 posts, read 14,542 times
Default I know urban Wisconsin and urban Minnesota

I've been looking for the opposite of what you want. The village of my youth in Brooklyn Park, MN, is now transformed into a city with seemingly endless cheap apartments and a crime rate to match north and south Minneapolis. Minneapolis is crammed with very old, large houses that are occupied mainly by extended families that have some members who needed close proximity to all of the social services for poor people in the mostly poor city. On the periphery are very expensive, new condominiums that are appealing to professionals employed in Minneapolis with high income. They tend to have a house to go to in suburbia when not scheduled to work someplace like Hennepin County Medical Center; that place has a reputation for being excellent for helping stabbing victims. You say you don't want a roommate but I think the only way you can get a place for $600 would be to rent half of an ancient double bungalo in Minneapolis, and experience culture shock everytime you go out to wait for the bus, or if you got a studio apartment in a suburban area. Some MN suburbs have good bus service and also have newer housing that include studio units. When I was much younger and became tired of the long commute to work, starting in Brooklyn Park and ending in Edina, I moved closer to work. I found the studio unit in a townhouse complex in Eden Prairie but close to the major freeway, 494, that could easily have express buses going into Bloomington and Lakeville; cities that are nicely developed and probably have some job opps that don't require a college degree. MN has been identified as having the highest per capita college degrees in the nation and many have to leave the state in order to find the employment that relates to their degree, if they don't want to settle for a hourly-pay job that only requires citizenship. Good Luck! You might do well to look at referral possibilities at unitedwayfirstcallforhelp.com or unitedway.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by RatKing216 View Post
Hello everyone on CD. A quick question... I am looking to start a new life for myself and plan on planting roots in a brand new place. I'll be honest here - I'm from Milwaukee, WI and my first choice is honestly Cleveland, Ohio simply because A) I love it there and B) The Cost of Living is ridiculously cheap!!! I have however thought of moving somewhere completely different. Like Minneapolis* for instance. Please note: I have started this exact thread for other cities I am looking at as well. I am simply trying to cover all of my bases so I know I am making the correct choice financially as well as emotionally. So here is my situation (and this may very well sound stupid), I am single, 34 years old, and don't have a college degree. I do not have a vehicle, nor do I plan to get one as that will save me a lot of money. I will be moving with a total of $13,000 which is my total "Life's Savings". I will be coming with no job (unless I get one when I take vacation at work in April) and am willing to work ANYWHERE as long as it provides income. I work in a factory setting now and I make $11.92/hr and would like to match that (if not) exceed that. Also please note that I have very little debt. My range as far as rent goes is NO HIGHER than $600/month (insert laugh here). That's all I feel comfortable paying anyway. I am willing to go higher if needed (up to say $750), but I better have a job that can support the cost. I am open to living in a rooming house (Room For Rent) of sorts to begin my new life if need be. But I DO NOT want to do a Roommate situation. Now if this sounds completely insane and downright undo-able, than please let me know so I can scratch Minneapolis off of my list. Also note: I need to stay within the city limits so all suburbs are completely OUT of the question. I need a "safe" area with a low amount of drug/violent crime activity. To give an overall idea of my "comfort level", I have lived in Chicago's Uptown as well as (where I now stay) Avenues West in Milwaukee.
So the bottom line questions are...
1) Is $13,000 enough? I would like to get a place right when I get to town, so I will probably pay 6-12 months of rent right off the bat. That will take a large chunk ($6k or so) of the $13k, but will give me up to a year to recoup that money.
2) How "transplant friendly" would you say the Twin Cities are?
3) City Life/Urban Decay: Do the Twin Cities feel like a real city. I'm not saying it has to be New York, but it has to have a “hustle & bustle” feel to it. High pedestrian/vehicle traffic, a nightlife, and overall feel of urban living is what I’m after. Also, I find Urban Decay/Ghettos to be beautiful (in a weird way), but I don't want to be engulfed by it (think Detroit). Is there a good amount of these areas to see in the Twin Cities?
I don't know if this is coming across as a crazy idea or just simply a good plan. I will say one thing though... I NEVER want to return to Wisconsin again!!! That's ultimately the plan. I need to grow up, and start a life for myself somewhere completely new.

*Please Note: Unlike all the other cities I am looking into, I actually have a sister in Saint Paul. I don't know if having family nearby is really something to factor in or not (as I really don't mind either way). I'm just throwing it out there.

Old 08-18-2012, 02:19 PM

455 posts, read 1,115,342 times
Yes, you would be able to find at least a studio apartment for less than $600 in Minneapolis; however, be careful about paying for rent months ahead if you can avoid it. Why? Well, without a car, what if you find a job that is really far from where you live. Life would suck big time to be stuck on a long commute home on the bus. But in summer, riding a bike to work is very popular here.

You should be able to find a job for at least $12 without a college degree.

I say, with $13,000 you have enough to give Minneapolis a try..........but like I said at first. Be careful about the prepaying rent thing.

Obviously, Minneapolis isn't New York, but for your conditions you can't afford New York or probably Chicago anyway, so with that said. Yes, Minneapolis will have tons of urban experiences to keep you occupied for at least a few years. Pretty much everything you could find in a really large city is here, just in smaller doses.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul