Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2012, 12:24 PM

1,114 posts, read 2,433,492 times

Advertisements

Hey all,

I'm entertaining my in-laws this weekend and we are planning to take the train down to Target field and hang out downtown and along the river for a while. What are some good restaurants to consider for lunch.

Here are some constraints/preferences:

1) Unique - ethnic or something with good local flair

2) Not too pricey - maybe in the $10-$15/plate range for lunch?

3) Reasonably kid friendly - not that it needs a ball pit and clowns, but just that people won't look annoyed that we are in there with a 1 y/o who occasionally (despite our best efforts) starts dropping her food on the floor.

Some places I've considered have been The Loon Cafe, Taste of Thai and Bombay Bistro. Anyone have an opinion of those, or have some others to add to the list?

For the rest of our time downtown, we'll probably wander down Nicollet, make our way to the river, and either cross the Stone Arch bridge, or take a walk around Nicollet Island.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2012, 12:46 PM

455 posts, read 641,670 times
How about Hell's Kitchen? You could also try Firelake or Mission or any number of other places like them (although they are kind of standard fare and maybe a little pricey for what you are looking for). I also like dive-type places, and Trieste Cafe is a pretty good little Greek joint on 5th.

Also, you could consider walking across the river to St. Anthony Main area and hitting up Pizza Nea (or something else).

Old 03-29-2012, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southernsmoke View Post
How about Hell's Kitchen? You could also try Firelake or Mission or any number of other places like them (although they are kind of standard fare and maybe a little pricey for what you are looking for). I also like dive-type places, and Trieste Cafe is a pretty good little Greek joint on 5th.
Yeah, I walk by Firelake and Mission and Hell's Kitchen and others on a regular basis, but didn't know enough about them to know which are really good, and which are just your run-of-the-mill psuedo-fancy places.

I work downtown, but if I have lunch out, I'm usually alone, so hitting up food trucks, or quick-grab type places.

Old 03-29-2012, 01:34 PM

5,147 posts, read 7,505,996 times
Kramarczuk's is a reasonable place to eat. Hennepin between 2nd St NE and University. Off street free parking.

Old 03-29-2012, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beenhere4ever View Post
Kramarczuk's is a reasonable place to eat. Hennepin between 2nd St NE and University. Off street free parking.
oooh...never seen that before, looks great, and would make for a pleasant trip over there and back!

Old 03-29-2012, 02:29 PM

455 posts, read 641,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stpontiac View Post
Yeah, I walk by Firelake and Mission and Hell's Kitchen and others on a regular basis, but didn't know enough about them to know which are really good, and which are just your run-of-the-mill psuedo-fancy places.

I work downtown, but if I have lunch out, I'm usually alone, so hitting up food trucks, or quick-grab type places.
Well, all three are pretty good. Firelake and Mission are kind of nondescript, though, other than the fact that they are right in the middle of downtown. There are a lot of the same type of restaurant down there that are all pretty good (for about $15), but kind of lack any unique character. Newsroom would be in the same category but with a little more flair.

Hell's Kitchen is a little different. It does kind of have a unique character to it. (I mainly thought of it when you mentioned Bombay Bistro--which is also good, but also kind of standard for what it is--just because it's right there near it.)

Old 03-29-2012, 02:35 PM

455 posts, read 1,118,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stpontiac View Post
Hey all,

I'm entertaining my in-laws this weekend and we are planning to take the train down to Target field and hang out downtown and along the river for a while. What are some good restaurants to consider for lunch.

Here are some constraints/preferences:

1) Unique - ethnic or something with good local flair

2) Not too pricey - maybe in the $10-$15/plate range for lunch?

3) Reasonably kid friendly - not that it needs a ball pit and clowns, but just that people won't look annoyed that we are in there with a 1 y/o who occasionally (despite our best efforts) starts dropping her food on the floor.

Some places I've considered have been The Loon Cafe, Taste of Thai and Bombay Bistro. Anyone have an opinion of those, or have some others to add to the list?

For the rest of our time downtown, we'll probably wander down Nicollet, make our way to the river, and either cross the Stone Arch bridge, or take a walk around Nicollet Island.
Bombay Bistro for excellent Indian. My friend ate there and she said the food is really good and she is very picky. Plus they have a lunch buffet. Can't go wrong with buffets!! About $10 or so.

Old 03-29-2012, 03:07 PM

1,617 posts, read 5,689,624 times
Pizza Luce wouldn't be a bad choice.

Old 03-29-2012, 03:17 PM

1,606 posts, read 3,353,085 times
I'll second Kramarczyks & Pizza Nea. I've also eaten at Bombay Bistro and found it to be pretty good as a buffet (they actually operate two buffets: one fronting on Marquette and one right behind it in the Medical Arts Bldg Arcade). I'm not sure what their weekend hours are though. There's also the relatively new Japanese restaurant in the Mill District City Apts building at Portland and Washington: Zen Box. we ate there in December after skating at the Depot and enjoyed it.

I'd also throw in the suggestion of the Skyroom at Macy's 12th floor. Not exactly ethnic, but it is kid friendly and offers a nice view and is classic downtown Minneapolis. Great salad bar ($10), plus they have a grille, deli, pizza, and mexican options. I'm pretty sure they're open until 2 on weekends, but you'd be smart to check it out on the web. You could also see the Macy's flower show at the 8th floor auditorium.

Old 03-29-2012, 05:38 PM

3,769 posts, read 8,827,549 times
None of these are particularly ethnic but Black Sheep Pizza is a bit farther down closer to the river, but good. Brits is fun and has outdoor seating; Masa (11th and Nicollet).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul