Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2011, 06:56 PM

9 posts, read 17,969 times

Advertisements

Hello all. My husband and I are possibly relocating from Chicago. I would be working in Stillwater and my husband would be working in St. Paul. Just wondering where is the best place to live near or in these areas. We're looking to rent a house in a nice neighborhood, without spending too much, probably no more than $1,500 if people are that aware of rental prices.

Thanks for any input!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2011, 08:12 PM

10,624 posts, read 26,767,081 times
What kind of neighborhood do you like? What kind of house do you prefer? Between St. Paul to Stillwater and points in-between you have a range of options representing a wide variety of housing type and neighborhood style. Do you want to be able to walk to things? Does public transportation matter? Do you like suburbs, city, small town, or something in-between? Do you have favorite Chicago neighborhoods or suburbs? (Lots of people on here have Chicago connections, and might be able to help steer you in the right direction.)

Old 12-30-2011, 06:24 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,373,871 times
I'd live in Stillwater so one person is close to home if needed and have your husband commute into St. Paul. There are all kinds of transit options from Stillwater (park and rides, carpools, buses) if you want that otherwise it's an easy hop into St. Paul from Stillwater.

Stillwater is a lovely community with great schools, nice neighborhoods, very friendly, very educated population, busy, busy downtown area, etc.

Old 12-30-2011, 09:22 AM

332 posts, read 823,013 times
Stillwater, Woodbury, & St. Paul are all nice options for you. If you lived in St. Paul you would not have to deal with a bad commute as you would be going opposite of traffic. Woodbury is nice and new but I am biased as I own a home there The homes for rent there will generally be bigger and newer.

Old 12-30-2011, 10:25 AM

14,773 posts, read 21,531,488 times
Woodbury, North Saint Paul and White Bear Lake. All within nice commute times between Downtown STP and Stilwater.

Woodbury is your typical suburb with all newer homes and ALOT of apartment buildings within your price range. North Saint Paul and White Bear Lake are older cities with there own small downtown area, older homes but schools are not as good as Woodbury. But they also have great apartments within your price range aswell

Old 12-30-2011, 01:38 PM

9 posts, read 17,969 times
Thanks for all the advice, keep it coming! We don't have kids, so the schools aren't a big concern for us. We're not too picky about the size of the town, mostly just looking for a place that's safe and nice to live in. We're definitely not fans of apartments though, so a house would be top priority.

Old 12-30-2011, 01:49 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,531,488 times
More info.....
White Bear Lake. Safe city. 10 miles to Stilwater and Saint Paul
White Bear Lake Apartments for Rent on MyNewPlace.com - White Bear Lake, MN

North Saint Paul. Pretty similar to White Bear Lake
North Saint Paul Homes, Houses, Condos, Townhomes, Condos & Apartments for Rent with $1300-$1500

two cities with perfect location and affordable

Old 12-30-2011, 04:34 PM

20,793 posts, read 61,373,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trvlta00 View Post
Thanks for all the advice, keep it coming! We don't have kids, so the schools aren't a big concern for us. We're not too picky about the size of the town, mostly just looking for a place that's safe and nice to live in. We're definitely not fans of apartments though, so a house would be top priority.
You really can't go wrong with most areas on the eastern side of the metro. North St. Paul and parts of Maplewood would be iffy but certainly not dangerous. I think that living in Stillwater gives you the option to run home on your lunch hour to meet the cable guy or get an appliance fixed, etc. It's just a nice convenience when you don't really need to live elsewhere. Since you aren't buying a home yet, no, school districts aren't important but if you do buy a home, keep in mind that houses in better districts sell better.

Old 12-30-2011, 09:10 PM

5,509 posts, read 11,896,376 times
I've been curious about White Bear Lake myself.....it looks like an amazing location between the city and Stillwater. That lake looks like the biggest thing in the Twin Cities outside Lake Minnetonka! The thing that gets me about WBL is the a.) diversity (very monocentric), and b.) the affordability. I feel the same about Stillwater. Woodbury is a somewhat more diverse area and if it isn't "diverse" to Chicago standards, I think it will be in the near future (think Schaumburg or Naperville).

I don't know where from Chicago you hail and what your expectations or comfort level is, but it may be helpful to pinpoint a place for you that is between DT St. Paul and Stillwater.

Old 12-31-2011, 01:24 PM

3,971 posts, read 9,693,564 times
The White Bear Lake area is a nice area, I like it there./
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul