Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2011, 11:21 AM

69 posts, read 147,393 times

Advertisements

I heard on TV last night that "the Vikings will get a new stadium." Just wondering what (if any) info is being discussed on Twin Cities area radio/TV? Is the smart money on the suburban site?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2011, 02:35 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,500,362 times
I keep hearing were closer to staying here in Minnesota, Hopefuly at the suburban Arden Hills site, Better parking, more room. Defiantly a smart idea now we can take down the ugly dome in downtown east and the neigborhood will have a very bright future.

Old 12-26-2011, 03:47 PM

3,971 posts, read 9,678,729 times
Well according to Peter King of NBC's Football Night America, they're pretty darn close to signing a deal that will keep them here. I'm not really sure what that means. It still doesn't include the third partner or a location.

Report: Vikings Close to Signing Deal to Stay in MN | KSTP TV - Minneapolis and St. Paul (http://kstp.com/news/stories/S2428348.shtml?cat=1 - broken link)

According to this article, the search has begun for architects for the stadium
Search to start for Vikings stadium architects | StarTribune.com

Govenor Dayton has intentions to move the process along as quickly as possible. A nice quote from the article "Our fans like this site. They want this site." -- Lester Bagley

Old 12-26-2011, 04:40 PM

23,766 posts, read 29,058,499 times
Peter King is an idiot and certainly doesn't read the local papers or is too dense to understand what's going on here.

Vikings have neither a second or third party as Ramsey County's plan to use a county wide sales tax was quickly dismissed at the legislature and there's no reason to think the state's share will be done without the gambling component which we all know won't go anywhere cuz the tribes say so.

This will drag on for another year as the lease term expiring this year will be challenged by the MSFC and likely upheld by the district court. In any case, the short two week (Feb 1 to Feb 15) window that the Vikings have to petition the league for a move for 2012 will be occurring during the next legislative session and the Vikings will be forced to sit with their cards while the legislature dawdles about doing nothing.

btw, Koch and Brodkorb ouster probably foretells what little hope the new stadium really ever had.

MinnPost - Cyndy Brucato: Stadium politics played role in Koch and Brodkorb dismissal, insiders say

Last edited by Ghengis; 12-26-2011 at 05:23 PM..

Old 12-26-2011, 10:28 PM

1,617 posts, read 5,674,861 times
I don't think we're any closer to anything at all. I do, however, believe that the threat to move to L.A. is about as empty as a threat to move from a team's owner has ever been. There are multiple other teams that the NFL would rather let move there. This is too big a TV market not to have a team of its own. If it did happen however, another team would come to the area soon.

The reason we're no closer is because subsidizing a billionaire's playground is too unpopular right now. If we had a good economy, and the government wasn't running short for services people expect and need, that would be one thing, but that's not the case.

Districts across the state are cutting school funding, big river bridges and other crucial infrastructure needs replacement, apartment complexes don't get fire inspections for 16+ years, and police and firefighters are facing layoffs. We simply have higher priorities. They've been talking about sales taxes or a gambling expansion to cover the cost of a stadiumnow. But if it's not OK for a new sales tax or a gambling expansion to cover solutions to any of the above, why should such proposed funding sources cover the most expensive sports facility subsidy in history?

For some strange reason in the lease, the Metrodome's collapse last year led to a mandatory 1-year lease extension, so God gave us a one year reprieve from Zygi Wilf's extortion anyhow. Therefore, the soonest an ironclad stadium agreement will happen is after the 2012 season.

And for the record, I believe that when it is built, no matter how much Zygi has to pay (unless it's 100%), it will be built in downtown Minneapolis, at the site of the current facility, or near the Twins stadium (farmer's market site). Arden Hills makes no sense for anybody except Zygi.

Last edited by Thegonagle; 12-26-2011 at 11:21 PM..

Old 12-26-2011, 10:42 PM

100 posts, read 253,543 times
I hope they build it at the farmers market site and further develop the western part of downtown with resturants and public transportation.

Old 12-27-2011, 12:23 AM

2,860 posts, read 3,387,163 times
There are a lot of mixed messages out there.

I heard recently that the Queens have the fourth highest market in the NFL. Seriously. Can't remember the source but I swear I read that.

With that sort of status I highly doubt anyone in NFL's front office would want to see them move to crappy L.A.

Who knows, but the saber rattling about moving the team gets annoying as heck after a while.

Old 12-27-2011, 10:14 AM

3,971 posts, read 9,678,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Govie View Post
There are a lot of mixed messages out there.

I heard recently that the Queens have the fourth highest market in the NFL. Seriously. Can't remember the source but I swear I read that.

With that sort of status I highly doubt anyone in NFL's front office would want to see them move to crappy L.A.

Who knows, but the saber rattling about moving the team gets annoying as heck after a while.
This is probably different, but here are TV market rankings as of this year:

1. New York

2. Los Angeles

3. Chicago

4. Philadelphia

5. Dallas-Fort Worth

6. San Francisco-Oakland-San Jose

7. Boston

8. Atlanta

9. Washington, D.C.

10. Houston

11. Detroit

12. Phoenix

13. Seattle-Tacoma

14. Tampa-St. Petersburg-Sarasota

15. Minneapolis-St. Paul

16. Miami-Fort Lauderdale

17. Denver

18. Cleveland-Akron

19. Orlando-Daytona Beach-Melbourne

20. Sacramento

Bolded are football cities

Old 12-27-2011, 10:25 AM

23,766 posts, read 29,058,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Govie View Post
...I heard recently that the Queens have the fourth highest market in the NFL. Seriously. Can't remember the source but I swear I read that.

think you might have read this recent Trib piece in which the Vikings had the 5th best ratings of the 32 NFL teams...

Even with a losing record in 2010, the Vikings boasted the fifth best television ratings in the 32-team NFL, exceeding ratings in Chicago, Philadelphia and New York. Of the league's top five ratings giants last year -- New Orleans, Pittsburgh, Green Bay, Indianapolis and Minnesota -- only the Vikings have not been to a Super Bowl in the past three years

TV ratings frame stadium debate | StarTribune.com

Old 12-27-2011, 10:47 AM

14,773 posts, read 21,500,362 times
We have one of the largest 'loyal' fan base in the NFL. Majority of the folks in the Dakotas are Vikings fans. Portions of Iowa and Nebraska also. The support for this team is underrated, on the road you see plenty of Vikings fans. My favorite experience was going down to St Louis to see the Vikings play the Rams and hanging out with all the fellow Vikings fans who drove there from MN, ND, SD, IA and we saw a really cool Camper painted purple and gold and decked out with Vikings stickers
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul