Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2011, 05:44 AM

9,797 posts, read 11,191,060 times

Advertisements

The unemployment rate has dropped in the TC metro area. Currently, we are the lowest in the nation at 5.4%! See
Unemployment Rates for Large Metropolitan Areas

Notice how fast the month-to-month percentages are dropping (See Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed ). Please note: the 1st link is a spreadsheet including just the metro areas . The 2nd link shows the unemployment numbers for MN as a whole.

Do you personally feel this positive shift? Are there still a lot of people unemployed that are not being reported?

Last edited by Yac; 01-24-2012 at 05:30 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2011, 09:00 AM

1,395 posts, read 2,662,975 times
This is good news! Hopefully soon those that gave up on the job market will start looking again and be able to find something.

Old 12-22-2011, 10:15 AM

5,509 posts, read 11,891,998 times
Yet, Sun Belters will just tell us that our unemployment is low because nobody wants to live here.

Old 12-22-2011, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by west336 View Post
Yet, Sun Belters will just tell us that our unemployment is low because nobody wants to live here.
I also noticed that correlation (sunbelt states have a lot worse unemployment rate). I wonder why?

Old 12-22-2011, 10:30 PM

10,244 posts, read 16,391,713 times
I was essentially offered an attractive job out of the blue a few months ago and was just contacted by another headhunter about a job a few days ago. Things are really looking good in the local economy! I really like the fact that jobs are plentiful here right now and it certainly doesn't hurt that there are so many large companies based here. It looks like it's a great time to make a move to the Twin Cities!

Old 12-23-2011, 04:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slig View Post
I was essentially offered an attractive job out of the blue a few months ago and was just contacted by another headhunter about a job a few days ago. Things are really looking good in the local economy! I really like the fact that jobs are plentiful here right now and it certainly doesn't hurt that there are so many large companies based here. It looks like it's a great time to make a move to the Twin Cities!
As you know, the northern burbs are full of housing subcontractors. In the past 6 months, I've talked with several subcontractors and builders who are now busy. Still, there are plenty people that are still sitting on their hands but things are looking up. The bad news is there is a lot of wage pressure but at least they are putting food on the table.

Old 12-24-2011, 10:30 AM

10,244 posts, read 16,391,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MN-Born-n-Raised View Post
As you know, the northern burbs are full of housing subcontractors. In the past 6 months, I've talked with several subcontractors and builders who are now busy. Still, there are plenty people that are still sitting on their hands but things are looking up. The bad news is there is a lot of wage pressure but at least they are putting food on the table.
Yeah, it will still depend alot on the industry. I still think that overall things have improved dramatically from 12-18 months ago. At that time I had alot of friends/family and acquaintances who were out of work and collecting unemployment. Currently almost everybody I know in the area is employed and doing alright financially.

Old 12-24-2011, 01:42 PM

32 posts, read 72,705 times
Unfortunately there is still a bias about older workers. Heads up - Goodwill Easter Seals has training opportunites for hard to place people (us elders being in that group) and I am currently taking classes through them. Also, they partner with companies who tend to hire those who have taken and passed the training. So I am hopeful.

Also, the numbers do not show those of us who are no longer uneligible for UI. I have never been in this situation! Have always had a job and it was the worst experience I've gone through since I was laid off that I finally had to apply for food stamps and medical help.

I do feel positive about the training though and am so, so hoping that this will be the ticket to finally working again. I have never been out of work like this!

Old 12-25-2011, 04:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by momn View Post
Unfortunately there is still a bias about older workers.
Unfortunately, that has always been the case. Anytime there is a layoff, the experienced work force is viewed as being expensive.

When I worked at Honeywell years ago, I quickly learned that age discrimination is alive and well in corporate America. After seeing how frequently it happened, I made a promise to myself that I was going to own my own business which I do.

We made semiconductors. One simple mistake could cost $50K. But Honeywell preferred the 28 year old engineer for $30K less a year versus a 50 year old experienced engineer. That $30K savings worked out to be half of a mistake a year. One processing mistake a month works out to be $500K a year of errors which isn't all that uncommon. Don't assume smart managers can figure out the actual costs when their math ignores mistakes.

Old 12-26-2011, 06:03 AM

511 posts, read 2,452,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MN-Born-n-Raised View Post
I also noticed that correlation (Sunbelt states have a lot worse unemployment rate). I wonder why?
The White Unemployment rate in the Southern Cities is similar to Minnesota but the huge Black Population with it's resulting tendency to have high unemployment rates makes the City and State Unemployment rates higher in places like Atlanta than a place like Minnesota that is 85% White.

The large number of highly educated and trained white people in Minnesota is the main reason the unemployment rate is lower than down south.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul