Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2011, 04:34 PM

6 posts, read 6,225 times

Advertisements

Hi everybody !! My name is Carlos and i am from Spain. I will move in February to Minneapolis. Probably i´ll get a job as a waiter in the Mall of America. I would really need sugestions on where to live ... is Bloomington a good joice. I am 28 years old single guy. Also, if i live in Minneapolis, is it possible to work in Mall of America , i will not have a car. Thanks to all of you guys !!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2011, 08:11 PM

5,509 posts, read 11,874,502 times
You can live in Minneapolis and work at MOA.....just live on or near the Hiawatha Rail Line, which is also Hiawatha Ave. You have plenty of choices. You can also get to MOA via bus from MANY other parts of town, so check out www.metrotransit.org and look into bus routes to/from MOA.

Old 12-05-2011, 08:27 AM

1,816 posts, read 3,027,292 times
As west said, you can easily get to the Mall of America from Minneapolis. The light rail will get you right there and there are a number of feeder buses throughout the city to get you to the light rail. Depending on what sort of living you're looking for, either Bloomington or Minneapolis would be a good choice. However, if you aren't going to have a car, life in Minneapolis will be easier. While Bloomington has bus service, it's going to be fairly infrequent most of the day.

Old 12-05-2011, 09:57 AM

Thanks a lot West and Xandrex ... apreciatte !!

Old 12-05-2011, 04:03 PM

2,330 posts, read 3,809,985 times
If you are working as a waiter you will quickly have enough money for a car. I work as a chef, waiters make good money in the Twin Cities, in the restaurant I work at they average $120 per dinner shift. On a busy saturday they might make $250, on a very slow monday maybe $30.

Old 12-05-2011, 04:12 PM

Thats good money Drewcifer, thats more than i did in Boston years ago. My friend works in Mall of AMerica and she is pretty happy with the money she is making. The good thing in the US is that you get either morning shift or dinner shift, so you can do other things instead of only working. I´ve heard that living by the Mall of America is pretty guetto, is that true ?? Maybe i should look Uptown. Like i said i am single, social life is important for me too ...

Old 12-05-2011, 04:55 PM

If you lived in Uptown you could take the #6 bus downtown and then the light rail out to the mall. I wouldn't call Bloomington ghetto but there is a lot more for a single person to do in Uptown. In the summer you can walk to the beach too.

Old 12-06-2011, 01:49 AM

Thanks for the good info Drewcifer

Old 12-06-2011, 06:16 PM

1,816 posts, read 3,027,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlosBohse View Post
Thats good money Drewcifer, thats more than i did in Boston years ago. My friend works in Mall of AMerica and she is pretty happy with the money she is making. The good thing in the US is that you get either morning shift or dinner shift, so you can do other things instead of only working. I´ve heard that living by the Mall of America is pretty guetto, is that true ?? Maybe i should look Uptown. Like i said i am single, social life is important for me too ...
Assuming you won't have a car, you probably would be best to stay out of Bloomington, so you wouldn't need to worry about bad areas there. There is supposed to be some lower-income stuff near there because that whole area is a lot of highways and the airport, so those with more money don't exactly feel like living there.

Uptown wouldn't be a terrible place to live, though you'd have a longer commute than if you just lived along the light rail. But instead of taking the 6 bus like drewcifer said, there are a variety of buses that would get you to the light rail a lot quicker like the 21 and 23 (among others). The 6 is counterintuitive because you'd have to go AWAY from your location and then ride the light rail through downtown, which is slow. I'd imagine it would add at least 20-30 minutes to your commute over other bus routes.

Old 12-10-2011, 12:07 AM

A packed 21 can take forever to get from uptown to the light rail. Also it can be a bit sketchy late at night when restaurant workers are going home while the 6 is always safe. The 23 doesn't run very often during the off hours. Whenever I go out to the Mall of America I always do the 6 to the light rail, it seems easier than the other options and you rarely have loud, annoying, crazy people on the bus like sometimes happens on the 21. The light rail is so much faster than the bus that it doesn't seem to matter much whether you get on it downtown or at lake st.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul