Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2012, 05:58 AM

23,766 posts, read 29,091,791 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by knurly View Post
I was waiting for the #2 bus after work one day around 1984 when a pile of squad cars and ambulance converge on the building across the street. It was an insurance building? Turns out some lady went into the offices there and pulled out a big French knife and buried it into the back of her cheating husband.
what, American knives weren't good enough for her?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2012, 08:46 AM

73,068 posts, read 62,694,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmgg View Post
As a Catholic from Sioux Falls, I have visited it several times. It's gorgeous and very inspiring. Worth the visit.
Not only worth a visit, it's worth attending on Sunday. I've got family in Minneapolis, and they're Catholic, so if I get a chance to travel up there, I might stop by the Cathedral. And hopefully my chance will come, as I graduate from college in a few days, which should leave me free.

Old 07-27-2012, 07:19 PM

3,665 posts, read 8,670,896 times
I remember this hotel on 9th and Hennepin in 1980, it was crazy, it was turned into room for rent type of place where they shared a bath in the hallway. Everyone grew weed and it was very odd. Prostitutes walked up and down in front, it was a unique place to see. My friends older sister lived there and we took the bus from the suburbs to visit, I was 14, the people were really nice but I got a strange feeling about some, one guy who was in his mid 30s to 40s ?...felt like he needed to watch over us, when we to visit, he wouldn't let us leave without walking us to the bus stop and watching us get on. Now, as an adult I understand why.

Old 07-27-2012, 08:10 PM

The only "gritty" representation of Minneapolis I can think of comes from the movie Purple Rain.

Old 07-27-2012, 11:42 PM

7,713 posts, read 4,754,345 times
Loved Purple Rain but that was Mpls sexy. The Replacements represent Mpls gritty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
The only "gritty" representation of Minneapolis I can think of comes from the movie Purple Rain.

Old 07-28-2012, 09:56 PM

2,330 posts, read 3,816,594 times
When I moved here in the mid 80s I was really surprised by how sleazy Minneapolis was - all the massage parlors and "health clubs", old E Block, weirdos all over the place, University Ave in St Paul. Other cities I had been to had their underbelly too but here it seemed like it was way more out in the open. Obviously it isn't like that anymore, I kind of miss it.

Old 07-28-2012, 11:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewcifer View Post
When I moved here in the mid 80s I was really surprised by how sleazy Minneapolis was - all the massage parlors and "health clubs", old E Block, weirdos all over the place, University Ave in St Paul. Other cities I had been to had their underbelly too but here it seemed like it was way more out in the open. Obviously it isn't like that anymore, I kind of miss it.
I guess for me, it's still too hard to imagine Minneapolis having those things. I could expect it in New Orleans, San Francisco, or Portland. It's kind of shocking for me to hear about this in Minneapolis.

Old 09-12-2012, 03:24 PM

1 posts, read 4,092 times
Default Moby's, St. Andrews, etc.

Oh how I long for the days of pre-Block E. In the early 80's, my-not-yet husband and I would come to the "cities" from Bemidji University to catch a Prince concert or more generally, to hang out. Because we did not have a major credit card at the time, the only hotel that would rent a room was the St. Andrews Hotel. It was full of creepy, down on their luck types, and I was a naive child from the suburbs. Nonetheless, bolstered by alcohol and other substances, we stayed for a night. The walls were paper thin, the mattresses were in tatters, and the shower was a room with a drain and a curtain. OMG if my kids could see us then!
There was always so much to do and see. Moby's for constant entertainment and enjoyed by those from all walks of life. It was gritty but the city was exciting. On a much smaller scale, the Turf Club in St. Paul has some of the features of Moby's, but it isn't central to the life of the city.

Old 09-12-2012, 04:15 PM

5,147 posts, read 7,483,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
what, American knives weren't good enough for her?
No, she probably used this knife to make fancy meals for the SOB only to find out some floozy was making a "meal" of him. So she grabbed something handy.

Old 09-12-2012, 08:07 PM

464 posts, read 804,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
I guess for me, it's still too hard to imagine Minneapolis having those things. I could expect it in New Orleans, San Francisco, or Portland. It's kind of shocking for me to hear about this in Minneapolis.
I still remember having my high school Prom in the Bravo Center on Hennepin (it's the building that is now Solera) in the late 90's. Granted, it wasn't as seedy by then (Block E was long gone and was just an empty lot at the time). But there was still some of that old atmosphere, what with an adult bookstore across the street and the old Fairmont Hotel (now Le Meridien Chambers, ironically) nearby too.

I kind of wish I was old enough to have seen more of grittier Minneapolis, strange though it may sound.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul