Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2022, 04:53 PM

140 posts, read 166,490 times

Advertisements

Has the trial affected the community in a palpable way or have a lot of people just kind of ignore it? Anyone here serve as a juror or know one, and what have they had to say about it? There was very little follow-up in the media. Watching the trial has made me curious about Waukesha, which seems like a unique community.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2022, 07:19 PM

4,630 posts, read 3,244,563 times
I can say that I do work in Waukesha.

Old 10-29-2022, 02:16 PM

7,234 posts, read 5,114,062 times
why should "The Town" think anything?....Individuals think. Unless one persoanlly knew a vicitm, then it doesn't make much difference if this happened within a stone's throw of your house or half way around the world, it's just an impersonal episode if it wasn't someone close to you.....

We evolved to live in clans of 10-30 people, and before the days of easy transportatiin & telecommunication our communit consisted of people who lived within walking distance -- about 10-30 people....Even with modern trans & comm, we still only average about 10-30 people that we deal with on a regular basis.

Dehumanization is a huge part of mega-society...A small town is now 4000 people-- but utill a century ago, that was a huge metropolis....Our evolution hasn't yet caught up with large crowds.

Old 12-27-2022, 08:53 AM

117 posts, read 84,087 times
I think it got largely ignored for political reasons. I remember it all happened right after the Rittenhouse trial concluded & that case had almost endless media attention eventhough the Waukesha parade incident was far more devastating.

Old 12-27-2022, 09:13 AM

I happened to be in the court rooms the last day of the main trials of both Kyle Rittenhouse AND Darrell Brooks.

EMOTIONAL is not strong enough a word to describe both.

They both received certainly national attention (perhaps international attention?)

The Rittenhouse trial of course more political. And also, there were protests/counter protests, which the Brooks case did not have.

Old 12-27-2022, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Jay View Post
I happened to be in the court rooms the last day of the main trials of both Kyle Rittenhouse AND Darrell Brooks.

EMOTIONAL is not strong enough a word to describe both.

They both received certainly national attention (perhaps international attention?)

The Rittenhouse trial of course more political. And also, there were protests/counter protests, which the Brooks case did not have.
WOW You were at both trials!? Were there any connections between them? I always thought it seemed like an odd coincidence that the 2 tragedies happened just down the road from each other. I remember hearing somthing on the news that they weren't allowed to say it was a black guy for fear of there being riots or looting or somthing.

Old 12-27-2022, 09:44 AM

Kraftask, good morning and Merry Christmas,

I, by chance, had off on the Friday that Kyle Rittenhouse was to have his verdict read. So I decided to go see if I could sit in and watch some of the trial. Little did I know that I happened to get THE day of the reading! I was VERY surprised that there were not more of the public in the courtroom. There was a ton of media, and most of the non-media seemed to be Kyle's family, and people connected with the victims.... The REAL group of people were outside on the steps of the Courthouse. It was a VERY cold day that day, and I was happy to go inside and sit in the courtroom.

Now, the Rittenhouse trial was in Kenosha County. The Darrell Brooks trial is in Waukesha County, so I, myself would not call it "down the road" exactly, because essentially you have Racine and Milwaukee Counties in between.

I worked in Milwaukee County for about 10 years, and now I have 3.5 years in Waukesha.

I do NOT recall there being any fear of labeling the race, in the Darrell Brooks case. And certainly any report I submit to the Courts DOES indicate race on it.

P.S. How are things in the good ol' State of Illinois, which is actually MY stomping grounds?

Old 12-27-2022, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Kraftask, good morning and Merry Christmas,

I, by chance, had off on the Friday that Kyle Rittenhouse was to have his verdict read. So I decided to go see if I could sit in and watch some of the trial. Little did I know that I happened to get THE day of the reading! I was VERY surprised that there were not more of the public in the courtroom. There was a ton of media, and most of the non-media seemed to be Kyle's family, and people connected with the victims.... The REAL group of people were outside on the steps of the Courthouse. It was a VERY cold day that day, and I was happy to go inside and sit in the courtroom.

Now, the Rittenhouse trial was in Kenosha County. The Darrell Brooks trial is in Waukesha County, so I, myself would not call it "down the road" exactly, because essentially you have Racine and Milwaukee Counties in between.

I worked in Milwaukee County for about 10 years, and now I have 3.5 years in Waukesha.

I do NOT recall there being any fear of labeling the race, in the Darrell Brooks case. And certainly any report I submit to the Courts DOES indicate race on it.

P.S. How are things in the good ol' State of Illinois, which is actually MY stomping grounds?
Merry Christmas to you too. Wow though, that's pretty amazing you happened to be a 2 historical trials. It's been cold here pretty much exactly the same as up there. I was actually up in Milwaukee on Christmas & it was slightly warmer up there, oddly enough. But it kinda sucks i came home to frozen pipes so i got that to worry about now

Old 12-27-2022, 09:58 AM

Kraftask,

The Darrell Brooks trial was exactly 1 floor below where I work, when I work IN court, so it was easy to get down there from time to time. If you watch some youtube videos, you might see me sitting about 2 benches behind Darrell Brooks (I'm easy to spot, because I am very handsome!).

I was actually in Deerfield, Chicago and Skokie yesterday. I really love that part of Illinois.

I'm sorry to hear about the pipes freezing. I hope you resolve it soon!

Old 12-27-2022, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Kraftask,

The Darrell Brooks trial was exactly 1 floor below where I work, when I work IN court, so it was easy to get down there from time to time. If you watch some youtube videos, you might see me sitting about 2 benches behind Darrell Brooks (I'm easy to spot, because I am very handsome!).

I was actually in Deerfield, Chicago and Skokie yesterday. I really love that part of Illinois.

I'm sorry to hear about the pipes freezing. I hope you resolve it soon!
Lol Wait so were you one of the bailiff guys in the background that had to drag him back & forth between courtrooms?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Milwaukee