Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2007, 06:50 PM

225 posts, read 954,967 times

Advertisements

I would 2nd Farmington, also you may now find something small in Liviona for under 200k. Or you may want to look out toward Wixom (but, depending on where the job is, the drive can be tough).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2007, 03:34 PM

144 posts, read 547,451 times
Quote:
The City of Farmington is nice! It sits entirely within Farmington Hills but is its own city. It has a downtown with stores, a few resturants, a movie theater and a great pub (Starbucks too.) You can get a small ranch house for around $175K.
Stay out of Farmington, it looks nice but the city is taking a down turn. In fact I own a business there and it has taken such a dive in the last year that we are closing in June.

Try South Lyon, it is a little further but it is more "small town". And at the moment you should be able to negotiate the housing price. Also as it is located in Livingston Co. the property taxes are lower. Oakland Co has some of the highest taxes in the SE Michigan Area.

Old 02-23-2007, 01:40 PM

954 posts, read 4,381,079 times
My oldest sister and her Husbane, and her daughter and her Husband and three kids all moved to Farmington about 4 years ago. We all grew up in the Western suburbs. Farmington is really safe, clean and good schools.
If I had to move back to Michigan, I would consider Farmington area, second only to Ann Arbor.

Old 02-26-2007, 12:19 AM

153 posts, read 939,309 times
I grew up in Southfield and I won't go near it now. Stay far away.

Farmington hills, West bloomfield, and Novi are very nice communities, and all very close to each other. But it'll be hard to find a nice house under 250k. Home prices are high in the neighborhoods where people actually want to live. You're treading on upper middle class and high class areas here. It's not uncommon to find million dollar homes in these areas.

Farmington (different from farmington hills) is probably more your price range. It bleeds into F. Hills but the home prices seem to be lower. It's more middle class from what I've seen but still decent and you don't have to worry about being mugged.

South Lyon, Brighton, Howell, are also nice cities. They have more of a small town feel but are pretty close to the bigger cities with easy freeway access. But again, the home prices are around the 200-300k range there unless you tread farther out into the country or settle for a small 2 bedroom ranch built in the fifties. Newer complexes with expensive houses are popping up all over and it won't be long before they start to rival Novi and Farmington Hills. In short, the folks with money are coming here too and they like their houses big.

Ann Arbor would be my pick but that might be too far away from Farmington for you, plus again, you've got the home price issue. They aren't cheap there either.

Plymouth is turning into a nice town and I think you should be able to find a reasonably priced house there. Not too far from F. Hills either. I haven't been down there in a few years though so who knows, I could be wrong.

Good luck, and if you want my honest opinon. Don't move here. The houses are too expensive, and it's too damn cold. Plus our enconomy sucks.

Old 02-26-2007, 07:01 PM

2 posts, read 18,348 times
Plymouth and Plymouth Township are very nice. So are Northville and Northville Township. And they are close to Farminton Hills.

Old 02-28-2007, 11:50 AM

30 posts, read 181,286 times
Default lansing

i wonder if any part of lansing pretty good place to live or buy and how are the schools?

Old 03-01-2007, 07:25 PM

6 posts, read 21,058 times
Default No need to scare Michigan new comers

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19hsm View Post
So does anyone have any other suggestion of where to look?
I am moving to Royal Oak. I bought high last July but $30,000 less than the asking price. It is a charming little cottage. In some ways it reminds me of Georgetown. Close to Detroit which has some good things going on.
I think what Michigan needs is less complaints and more action from the people that live there. Once the Unions are out of there, the place might have a chance. I heard that there is BIG mis-management of money in Detroit. What are people doing about the economy? What do you think should be done to attrack new comers. I think MI is beautiful. The taxes are high and about the same as Northern VA.

Old 03-01-2007, 07:30 PM

1,608 posts, read 9,753,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paula Wunder View Post
I think what Michigan needs is less complaints and more action from the people that live there. Once the Unions are out of there, the place might have a chance. I heard that there is BIG mis-management of money in Detroit. What are people doing about the economy? What do you think should be done to attrack new comers. I think MI is beautiful. The taxes are high and about the same as Northern VA.
I agree with you about the unions.

On another note... Michigan missed it's big chance to do something to turn that place around. They should have not voted for Granholm again. Yet they did... so I guess they will continue to get what they signed up for. They should have given her the boot when they had the chance.

Old 03-01-2007, 07:34 PM

I have been to Pontiac. I would think twice before going up there

Old 03-01-2007, 07:41 PM

I have done a little traveling around the neighborhood all that everyone has mentioned. Somebody has money. Every where I went there are new homes being built. Bloomfield has tons old and new. I have seen some beautiful home in Detroit that I would have loved to have had and would have bought if I would about 30 years younger. Very inexpensive and very beautiful. Old and charming, lots of detail. All you need is a acouple of develpers to come in buy it up and build expensive condos. They have torn down the slums in DC and big bucks. You would be surprised how the money surfaces when you put in these things. I don't know where the slumlords went but it is big time now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan