Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-31-2024, 11:19 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,935,751 times

Advertisements

We are toying either buying some land up north and installing an RV pad. We may look at some small houses where there is room for an RV pad. We are spoiled by living on the water, so we are looking for land on water. Great ake major river (AuSable) or big inland lake). 1 acre or more. Hoping to find something sub 250,000 Suggestions of areas to look?

So far we found some neat places in Presque Isle area also near grayling.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2024, 05:27 PM

8,432 posts, read 7,448,608 times
My brother and his girlfriend are heading towards retirement. They're currently looking for a 10 acre plus lot in the northwestern part of the lower peninsula, wooded, with a 3 bedroom, 2 bath house with garage/barn and a river either through the property or along one side of it. They have $400K cash on hand and have been in touch with several realtors. The only properties that fit that description that are brought to them by the realtors go for $600K or more. And they sell quickly.

I've toyed with the idea of selling my house down here in the Detroit suburbs and moving up north when I retire. I would watch that TV show Mayor of Kingstown and think to myself that I'd like to have a small cabin on a few acres out in the woods like the show's protagonist has. I've kept half an eye on properties more humble than my brother's retirement plans. This property popped up about four days ago, is a one bedroom/one bath cabin, 500 square feet, on two acres, and the Manistee River curves close by the back deck. Listed for $120K, and received an offer within two days of being listed.

My hunch is that you'll need cash in hand and an ability to move quickly if you want to get a property such as you've described. But here's hoping you'll do good.

Old 04-02-2024, 11:05 AM

2,074 posts, read 1,873,912 times
https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...ith_waterfront

This is the "chain of lakes" area in Harrison. Very nice there.

Old 04-16-2024, 05:02 PM

24,524 posts, read 26,071,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
We are toying either buying some land up north and installing an RV pad. We may look at some small houses where there is room for an RV pad. We are spoiled by living on the water, so we are looking for land on water. Great ake major river (AuSable) or big inland lake). 1 acre or more. Hoping to find something sub 250,000 Suggestions of areas to look?

Son #2 has a lake front home on Huron in Chebogen, think he said there were still parcels that could accommodate RVs because he has one.

Old 05-01-2024, 09:50 AM

522 posts, read 874,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post

Don't do it. just rent in a state park or a pad somewhere till you get this fantasy out of your system. I sold my big castle in a suburb of Detroit and moved on a lake up north. What a mistake, There are so many negatives its not worth the hassle. Bored within weeks, everything is more expensive, No quality shopping , no doctors , local governments putting special assessments to pay for everything, schools roads, police, sewers, you name it. Bunch of noisy uneducated hillbillies everywhere. Trunk slammers come up on the weekends raising hell. It's not the utopia you think it might be.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
View detailed profiles of: