Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-05-2023, 05:59 AM

3,130 posts, read 3,072,112 times

Advertisements

I know these aren't exactly everybody's ideal locations, but suppose you're in Lansing, and you have pick from doing a program at Mott vs. Jackson College and you want in-district tuition, so you're thinking of moving somewhere in those general areas- not necessarily inside city limits. Which would you pick?

Flint seems like it has a bit more to do, is a bit more progressive, and isn't next to the state prison. It's closer to northern Michigan as well.

Jackson seems a bit calmer and quieter, and big enough to have things like Meijer's and everyday shopping not as to make life inconvenient, and I'm guessing it's a bit safer overall and cheaper in areas that would be safe to live in. It's a bit closer to taking road trips out of state as well.

What are your thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2023, 06:36 AM

5,293 posts, read 6,054,135 times
I'd go with Flint. Bigger area, more options. Plus plenty of places to live within the area that are safe and functional if you are in the burbs.

Old 11-08-2023, 08:08 AM

13,258 posts, read 22,822,968 times
Flint puts you more metro Detroit-adjacent, which gives you a lot more options for many things. There just isn;t much there in Jackson.

Old 11-12-2023, 05:52 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,764,742 times
Jackson gives you nice access to Ann Arbor, Chelsea, Marshall and Lansing. Also the West side beach towns and dunes (and the coolest dog beach - Kirk Park near SouthHaven). Closer to Chicago. Shipshewana indiana is nearby and cool to visit. Battle Creek actually has some cool things too. Jackson has a cool fountain. My sister and husband lived there. Their property bordered the prison fence. It never bothered them. The prison was a long way off and they never heard it or saw anyone. They liked Jackson a lot but the commute to Downtown Detroit got to be too much after a decade or so.

Flint Gives you Saginaw/MIdland, MIO (Au Sable area), the thumb and the UP somewhat closer. It has a cool little park with a train. Some of the surrounding towns are very nice.

Both are not too far from Detroit'

As a place to live I think I would prefer Jackson it is quieter and more nature oriented. However you will nto find your answer in the computer. It will depend on what areas you happen to stumble into where living quarters are available. There are appealing areas near both places and it all depends on what you find and how you react to it int he first look. Go explore.

You will find nice safe places to live in both locations. Both are nicely located for freeways to elsewhere.

Old 11-15-2023, 01:42 AM

84 posts, read 80,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
It has a cool little park with a train. Some of the surrounding towns are very nice.
Haha, are you talking about the Huckleberry Railroad?

We are from the tri-cities but have lived in Flint before. The thing that I like about Flint is that it's in a good location, and it's not too expensive. The traffic is rarely bad.

Old 11-15-2023, 06:44 AM

4,621 posts, read 4,887,043 times
Flint would be a ton more interesting for a college student. There's even an airport that can get you some places.

Jackson is a backwater, unless you like nascar and can get to Brooklyn easily. And it's very easy to get to DTW.

South and SW of Jackson is a historic Dutch area. Besides the obvious - Brooklyn hills, the Anglication of Breukelen (a town near Utrecht) - my wife's family moved from New Amsterdam to Jackson county a ~175 years ago with other Dutch families. It's not really that Dutch at all though.

Old 11-15-2023, 10:04 AM

2,222 posts, read 2,246,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpio516 View Post

Jackson is a backwater, unless you like nascar and can get to Brooklyn easily. And it's very easy to get to DTW.
If you are inclined to hop on an Amtrak to, say Chicago, Jackson has 3 trains a day while Flint has one.

Last edited by mjlo; 11-15-2023 at 10:19 AM.. Reason: removed troll response

Old 12-24-2023, 11:49 AM

1 posts, read 818 times
I live across the street from Mott College in a very nice old neighborhood called the College-Cultural Neighborhood. The campus is nice and well policed and maintained, the surrounding area has the Flint Institute of Arts, The Flint Public Library, The Dort School of Music, Sloan Museum, and two theatres-one being a large auditorium. The downtown area has vastly improved in the last 20 years. Flint has the University of Michigan-Flint campus and Kettering University (formerly known as the General Motors Institute). So, there are nice areas, and then you have areas that contain eye-opening blight. Funding has allowed the city to eradicate many structures, and many are on the slate. The suburbs surrounding the city are nice, I especially like Flushing with its small nice old downtown and beautiful old homes, all set on the Flint River. Getting to the Detroit Metro area is a quick trip, Ann Arbor is about 45 minutes. A couple of other neighborhoods in Flint are well-maintained, one full of stately homes. Flint's crime issues are still present but it's mostly property crime. It's also a very good city for biking, a 20-mile rail trail.
Jackson may be a little cleaner but Flint is a larger college town.
I
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan