Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-11-2023, 09:26 PM

404 posts, read 434,224 times

Advertisements

Just got back from a wonderful trip up north to Mackinac Island. Very beautiful fall foliage. The island was wonderful. Had never been. The weather was a tad stormy, this is Michigan after all. But once arriving on the island, the clouds parted and everything glistened. And the entire place smelled like fudge, I mean...heaven on earth lol. I am a big fan of the movie "Somewhere In Time". Everyone up there was genuinely friendly, even the grumps lol.

Getting there was interesting though. We took Sheplers from Mackinaw City. The weather was rainy and choppy getting there. Ironically this was more leisurely. Coming back, the weather was better so the boat was hitting wave after wave at points covering the view. Is there a slower boat to the island? Star Line seems to advertise they are the fastest, eek lol. All I could find was there is a pirate ship. I just love the Mitten and whatever the UP is lol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2023, 02:19 PM

23,278 posts, read 18,799,167 times
Every vessel is different. How every vessel behaves in specific wind and sea conditions varies. Most operators are going to choose a speed that allows the engines to run most efficiently whenever sea conditions permit. Doing so reduces how much fuel they burn through which is easier on the vessel and also lowers their operating costs (which affects the fares passengers pay). Not to mention that running slower lengthens the trip. Most folks just interested in transport from one place to another don't want a longer trip, they want a shorter one.

Another thing to consider. A slower boat has its drawbacks. While the ride on a faster boat may feel bumpier, a slower boat in the same conditions may roll and wallow between the waves. This is more likely to make people seasick. Add in the fact that you'd need to spend more time on the vessel, that slower boat may make you pretty unhappy.

Last edited by Parnassia; 10-23-2023 at 02:27 PM..

Old 10-25-2023, 06:35 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,786,099 times
A kayak would be slower

Old 10-25-2023, 06:45 AM

404 posts, read 434,224 times
I went there in incredibly choppy waters during a small craft advisory. Coming back was slamming into waves to the point I couldnt see out the window. Thats the context. Anyway thank you guys. The island was beautiful and magical. There was a lot more to it than I thought, and I'm looking forward tó io returning.

Old Today, 02:37 PM

998 posts, read 1,236,111 times
Starline bought the Arnold line several years ago and Arnold and mostly slow, full displacement, ferrys. Not sure if star line is still operating those craft though … they were big fat slow pigs.

All of the Shepler boats are going to be essentially the same, since they mostly are of a very similar design with just a few generational tweaks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan