Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-09-2023, 08:28 AM

65 posts, read 91,543 times

Advertisements

Hello Folks,

I am writing regarding a situation and quandary about motorscooters (or motorcycles) and their registration. In a nutshell, I have 4 motorscooters: bought the first (a 50cc strokes) in 2005 while still going to school, then bought another one (a 150cc 4-strokes) in 2007, and somewhere around 2010 bought 2 (250cc 4-strokes scooters). The two bought in 2010 were due to an opportunity given that a large supplier or distributor went out of business and had some old stock of new 250cc that were been liquidated at a much lower price. Unneeded to say these two 250cc scooter did require some work (some assembly and flush of fluids, etc).

In Michigan, the 50cc is classified as a moped, the others are classified as motorcycles. All were made in China, but in terms of Chinese bikes they would be deemed as being of higher quality and grade.

Circa 2013, I got involved in a bunch of other things and was spending most of the time out travelling; so, I simply left the bikes in storage and never used them again. Given that I was not riding them in the public roads I could not see the need to renew the registration, etc. Upon reading some old posts (several years) online some of the participants were saying that in that kind of situation one would be required to pay for the registration of all the intervening years. That does not sound reasonable, so I was wondering whether or not that would be case.

Any insights would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2023, 12:45 PM

2,745 posts, read 3,012,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tk3000 View Post
Hello Folks,

I am writing regarding a situation and quandary about motorscooters (or motorcycles) and their registration. In a nutshell, I have 4 motorscooters: bought the first (a 50cc strokes) in 2005 while still going to school, then bought another one (a 150cc 4-strokes) in 2007, and somewhere around 2010 bought 2 (250cc 4-strokes scooters). The two bought in 2010 were due to an opportunity given that a large supplier or distributor went out of business and had some old stock of new 250cc that were been liquidated at a much lower price. Unneeded to say these two 250cc scooter did require some work (some assembly and flush of fluids, etc).

In Michigan, the 50cc is classified as a moped, the others are classified as motorcycles. All were made in China, but in terms of Chinese bikes they would be deemed as being of higher quality and grade.

Circa 2013, I got involved in a bunch of other things and was spending most of the time out travelling; so, I simply left the bikes in storage and never used them again. Given that I was not riding them in the public roads I could not see the need to renew the registration, etc. Upon reading some old posts (several years) online some of the participants were saying that in that kind of situation one would be required to pay for the registration of all the intervening years. That does not sound reasonable, so I was wondering whether or not that would be case.

Any insights would be appreciated.

Hard to find a straight answer on the internet. I HIGHLY suggest you just call the Secretary of States office, and ask them. Here is their number: Phone 888-767-6424
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan