Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2023, 06:22 PM

84 posts, read 80,624 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I am thinking about the words featured in the title. Apparently, a lot of people pronounce 'Ms.' as 'mizz'. I have no memory of learning this pronounciation in school, and moreover, I don't recall anyone in my life using 'mizz' while growing up. To me 'mizz' sounds very southern. I do remember learning all of the female prefixes, but I seem to remember being taught (and my experience reflects) that 'Miss' and 'Ms.' both just sound like 'miss'.

As a native Michigander, or as a Michigan migrant, what is your opinion on this lingustic matter?

Feeling at a loss about this because a decent number of people online are in apparent agreement that 'Ms.' should be pronouced as 'mizz' and I feel like my life experience is being retroactively marked wrong.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2023, 10:17 PM

88,512 posts, read 84,688,123 times
I am old enough to remember when Ms. first appeared, and as far as I know, it was always pronounced "Miz".

I have never been to Michigan, though, so perhaps saying it like "Miss" is a regional pronunciation.

The point, though, was to distinguish it from Mrs. or Miss when marital status is irrelevant. Not sure how saying Ms. like Miss accomplishes that.

Old 09-05-2023, 11:46 PM

84 posts, read 80,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I am old enough to remember when Ms. first appeared, and as far as I know, it was always pronounced "Miz".

I have never been to Michigan, though, so perhaps saying it like "Miss" is a regional pronunciation.

The point, though, was to distinguish it from Mrs. or Miss when marital status is irrelevant. Not sure how saying Ms. like Miss accomplishes that.
In my mind, 'Ms.' and 'Miss' are more important to and only distinguisable in written form. In an oral context, there is no difference. All women are simply 'miss' or 'missus'.

To your earlier point, here is a graph from Google Ngram showing the frequency of the three words. I was unaware that Ms was fairly uncommon before the 1960s.

Old 09-06-2023, 05:45 AM

9,434 posts, read 5,197,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post

Exactly MQ. Why have a third 'title' pronounced the same as one of the other ones. It was MIZ (for Ms) to distinguish it.

Old 09-06-2023, 07:24 AM

4,621 posts, read 4,887,043 times
Are the rest of you really old?

It's been miz for Ms. since the 80s. Just really rarely used.

Old 09-09-2023, 01:36 PM

792 posts, read 2,323,445 times
I recall jokes about this on sitcoms in the 70s or early 80s, when I was a child. Some people did make a point of saying "Miz" as a spoken pronunciation at that time. AFAIK, Ms. was originally only a written convention, before 70s feminists started taking exception to various forms of gendered language and Ms. magazine was published.

I think it is interesting that other countries that speak Indo-European languages solved this problem by simply extending the married form to all adult women, married or not, and limiting the unmarried form to minors (e.g., Madame/Mademoiselle, Frau/Fraülein, Señora/Señorita), instead of the inanity of "Miss"/"Missus"/"Miz".

Old 09-09-2023, 01:58 PM

8,409 posts, read 7,402,622 times
Maybe that's it.

In Michigan, it's "Miz".

In the Southern states, it's "Mizzzzz".

Old 09-09-2023, 02:34 PM

11,630 posts, read 12,691,000 times
I can recall when many of my teachers introduced themselves as Ms. ___. And there was Ms. magazine. Everyone that I know pronounced it as Mz.

Old 09-09-2023, 02:53 PM

10,049 posts, read 18,056,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michigan91 View Post
In my mind, 'Ms.' and 'Miss' are more important to and only distinguisable in written form. In an oral context, there is no difference. All women are simply 'miss' or 'missus'.

Why would calling a woman by a title that doesn't reference her marital status be irrelevant in an oral context?

And I lived in Michigan for 9 years (1993 to 2002) and Ms. was always pronounced Miz. And yes, people used it because why on earth do we need to know women's marital statuses when we don't have the same desperate need to know men's?

Old 09-10-2023, 06:10 AM

34,088 posts, read 82,920,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djmilf View Post
In the Southern states, it's "Mizzzzz".
My dog loves my neighbor dearly but he will not sit for her.
Why? He doesn't understand what siiiiiiiiit means.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan