Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2023, 02:09 PM

107 posts, read 249,483 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjlo View Post
Muskegon has midwestern crime patterns. It’s different from southern crime patterns. In southern cities crime is more sporadic, pockets here and there. It a lot of cases the good neighborhoods overlap with the bad. It can be difficult to determine what areas to avoid. Midwestern cities tend to lack any grey area. Crime contained to whole quadrants of cities, while others feel quite safe and quaint. The downside is that it can be very obvious where the line between poverty and comfort is. The upside is that is much easier to know what areas to avoid for crime.

I don’t know Muskegon very well but my understanding is that unsafe areas are contained to very specific areas of the city/metro. There are many areas that are quite working class, but very safe. If you figure out what section of town could be at risk take it out if a search. That said Muskegon is a city of less than 40k people. As a matter of scale there’s only going to be so much actual crime. It may not be a” small magical town” but it’s definitely at the beginning of a resurgence in big part due to proximity to Grand Rapids. It may already have the resources and community you’re looking for.
I appreciate that explanation of crime, and it makes a lot of sense. I checked the towns out online and am interested in them, especially Muskgeon. I didn't know it had so much to offer - especially the ferry and the diversity of the demographics.*
Although it's not on the water, I am also wondering about Niles. What*is your opinion on it? It's on the train line with a close commute to my family, and I am finding a lot of homes that look promising there so I'm curious on the overall feel of the town. Are there any forest towns outside of Ann Arbor in the lower penisula?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2023, 03:37 PM

495 posts, read 326,999 times
"Muskegon" is actually comprised of several adjacent cites. City of, you're hit and miss. Most of Norton Shores is good. All of Muskegon Heights is not. North Muskegon-good. Roosevelt Park-good. Township is away from Lake Michigan, and is meh at best. If I had to live in the city proper, I'd choose Glenside, or Bluffton, maybe Lakeside. Aka, neighborhoods closer to Lake Michigan.

Old 10-31-2023, 05:04 PM

10,113 posts, read 19,394,180 times
has Saline been mentioned?

Old 10-31-2023, 05:22 PM

7,115 posts, read 12,654,276 times
We like Petoskey a lot. Had a great visit there a few years ago...very near all sorts of arty, culture and nature.

Old 11-01-2023, 07:16 AM

174 posts, read 243,464 times
I know this thread was initially from August, but if you are still looking I was going to mention that Petoskey might be a good fit as well. Right on the water and close to the uber "ritzy" Harbor Springs. Both are right on the water. Will get very touristy in the summer time though.

Other places to look Charlevoix (I actually prefer this to Petoskey). A little more out of the way so less tourists at times, but right on the lake. Bellaire is NOT right on the lake, though close, but has a really nice little downtown and has some artsy community stuff.

Those are close enough to the UP for visiting family if you need, but close enough to Traverse City, Gaylord and other bigger places that will have stores and amenities you might need. Really all of that area is really cool with lots of things going on/to do.

Manistee might be one other one to consider. I don't know the Art community there, but of some of the lake towns we've visited it was probably least busy, but still a lot to offer.

As for lower SW Michigan towns right on water I'd look at Saugatuck would fit the bill. I'd also look at South Haven. Those 2 will get much more tourist traffic in the summer than the northern ones, but are still good communities.

All of these will get a fair amount of wind in the winter and snow from the lake and other things, but if you want to be on the lake that kind of comes with the territory. The more southern communities will stay slightly warmer year round than farther north, but honestly it typically is within about 5 degrees of each other.

Old 11-02-2023, 01:21 PM
YAZ

7,706 posts, read 14,079,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryleeII View Post
has Saline been mentioned?
Not terrible at all.

But if I should live in that part of the state, it'd be Chelsea.

Old 11-03-2023, 09:19 AM

174 posts, read 243,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YAZ View Post
Not terrible at all.

But if I should live in that part of the state, it'd be Chelsea.
Agree. Chelsea or Dexter. Saline really nice, but I think those 2 are slightly ahead in my book. But I know people who would say Saline over them so it's just personal preference.

Old 11-03-2023, 12:35 PM

27,169 posts, read 43,857,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TLRaymond7730 View Post
So...I am a single professional female looking to move to a magical small town in Michigan after having spent 20 years in the Army. I am looking for a thriving arts/creativity scene with local festivals and happenings close to a lake or river. Would love it if housing prices were not astronomical. Looking for quirky and fun but with a population not solely university kids. Looking for grownups and adventure. Where should I move, Hive Mind Friends?
Saugatuck and neighboring Douglas are the perfect definition in my opinion. There is something magical about an environment where a fairly diverse demographic of day-trippers and extended stay guests are made to feel so welcome by everyone in town. The arts/creative scene is active year-round with festivals and events weekly. The setting on the river where it flows into Lake Michigan (along with Oval Beach and the sand dunes) gives an impression of a different geographic vibe from much of the state, and as such almost like a retreat from everyday life which has attracted visitors and new residents for years. The downside is housing costs due to the vacation home aspect, but many artists make do with nearby towns like Fennville which are minutes away with little traffic and much more reasonable home prices .

https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...00004&qdm=true
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan