Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-05-2022, 01:27 PM

1 posts, read 1,565 times

Advertisements

Hello! Mi husband is going to be transfer to Michigan, what is the best place for us to live? we have 2 kids (5months & 3 yr) Lake Orion, Rochester or Troy? (closest to my husbands work) regarding best costs in apartment rent, car leasing, insurance, schools etc. Thanks!!
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2022, 02:34 PM

8,409 posts, read 7,402,622 times
All three areas are about the same in apartment rent, car leasing, insurance, and schools. Since you appear to be interested in renting, I'd suggest that you find a place in Troy. The reason is commuting. Going from Rochester Hills to Troy can be difficult as the roads were never widened enough to handle the traffic that suburbia brought. Lake Orion/Orion Township is even further away.

I worked for a few years in Troy starting around 2018. My coworkers and I both lived about the same distance away from work (7 miles), but I commuted from a community to the southwest, along the Woodward Corridor, my coworkers lived in apartments in southern Rochester Hills. My commute was a pleasant 20 minute jaunt along small suburban surface streets with never a traffic backup. My coworkers would spend 40 minutes in a constant traffic jam on their commutes.

Old 12-07-2022, 03:59 PM

110 posts, read 170,319 times
My sister has lived in Lake Orion for about 30 years. She and her husband raised two kids there. The schools are good and I liked the area when I visited.

My nephew moved to Rochester Hills (next to Rochester). It also seems nice and safe. I couldn't speak to the schools.

I understand the Troy schools are very good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan