Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2022, 10:04 PM

182 posts, read 448,953 times

Advertisements

We are planning on spending 3 days around Sept. 12 to visit the area around Mackinac Island. It is quite pricey on the island so I was wondering if St. Ignace was the best option close by?

Are there decent hotels near the ferries we could walk to the ferry? Also, which ferry would you recommend which comes down to price basically I guess.

We will have a rental car but if there was a particular area with good restaurants and the ferry all in walking distance of the hotel that would be ideal.

Finally, best airport? We don't mind driving a ways to get to the area but close proximity is good too.

I assume you could take in Mackinac Island in a long day. Any recommendations we might drive to on a couple of day trips?

Thanks for any help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2022, 05:51 AM

1,459 posts, read 1,400,393 times
Ignace is far cheaper, because it isn't an island
Side trip to Tahquamenon falls https://www.michigan.org/property/ta...lls-state-park
And of course the Soo ro watch the ships going thru the locks https://saultstemarie.com/attractions/soo-locks/

Old 08-04-2022, 08:45 PM

5,293 posts, read 6,056,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 62mike View Post
We are planning on spending 3 days around Sept. 12 to visit the area around Mackinac Island. It is quite pricey on the island so I was wondering if St. Ignace was the best option close by?

Are there decent hotels near the ferries we could walk to the ferry? Also, which ferry would you recommend which comes down to price basically I guess.
I would google the hotels in the area. It will be after Labor Day so peak tourism season will be over making options more available. There’s a few chains, and a few local places. I’m not an expert on the area. But you should be able to find something close to the fudge shops and the ferries.

Quote:
We will have a rental car but if there was a particular area with good restaurants and the ferry all in walking distance of the hotel that would be ideal.

Finally, best airport? We don't mind driving a ways to get to the area but close proximity is good too.

I assume you could take in Mackinac Island in a long day. Any recommendations we might drive to on a couple of day trips?

Thanks for any help.
I can’t give you restaurant suggestions, perhaps someone else can help with that. I believe the largest airport is going to be Traverse City (TVC). It’s a couple hours drive from Mackinac, but it’s going to have the best connections by far if you want to get as close as possible. Also the area around Traverse is quite worth exploring in its own right from the wineries, to the views on the bay, to sleeping bear dunes. I’d definitely looking to the options around that area if you have a day or two extra to explore.

Old 08-05-2022, 07:22 AM

6,405 posts, read 8,982,810 times
You can take in the island in less that a long day. It has been a few years since I have been up there but do not recall any deals that stood out for ferry or lodging. Murdick's has the best fudge.

Old 08-05-2022, 09:04 AM

29,447 posts, read 14,631,447 times
We prefer to stay in St. Ignace. Much less touristy. Also, there are some great little day trips that can be done from there.

Some have already mentioned some great places to visit. I'd like to add the Les Cheneaux islands. It's an incredible place and really close to St. Ignace. Have lunch at the culinary arts school. And if you just happen to be up there the weekend of August 13, there is the vintage boat show. And don't forget to take the boat tour through the islands. It's something like 45 minutes, and totally worth it.

https://www.michigan.org/city/les-cheneaux-islands

https://www.lcculinary.org/hours-of-operation

https://lciboatshow.com/

Old 08-05-2022, 11:40 AM

1,317 posts, read 1,940,463 times
Where are you flying in from?
Traverse City (TVC) is the closest airport with a reasonable number of flights connecting through major hubs.
Its about a 2 hour drive straight through to Mackinac, but there is plenty of things to see, towns to stop at along the way driving up through Elk Rapids, Charlevoix, Petoskey. A beautiful drive on its own, and you will be passing through orchards, wineries, breweries, lakes at the like.

Not sure how long you are planning to stay in Michigan on your trip but I'd consider something like this:

Day 1:
Fly into TVC, explore Traverse City proper, stay in TC area (2 nights)

Day 2:
Explore Leelanau Penisula area, Sleeping Bear Dunes; stay again in TC area

Day 3:
Drive up to Mackinac, explore stuff on the drive up US-31 through Charlevoix / Petoskey; stay in Mackinac City or St. Ignance (2 nights)

Day 4:
Go out to Mackinac Island for the day , staying back at the same place in Mackinac City or St. Ignance

Day 5:
Either spend a second day on the island, or explore stuff around the straits area, or so a day trip up to Tahquanamin Falls / Paradise / Whitefish Point

Day 6:
Drive back down to Traverse City / TVC

One thing that is probably going to be a challenge is the timing of your flights in and out of Traverse City. Its a 2 hour drive to Mackinac and depending on your flight times you may lose a day to travel. Particularly if you arrive late at night into TVC, or have an early morning flight out. I don't recommend the drive on US-31 from Traverse City up to Mackinac late at night if not familiar with the area (plus its so beautiful you would rather do it during the daylight)

Old 08-06-2022, 05:54 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,778,724 times
How long to spend on the island depends on how much you want to do and how rushed you like to be.

Depending on the season, there are some hotels in the town that are not all that expensive. You do not have to stay at the Grand, although it is a really cool thing to do once.

At night on weekends, the main drag on the island turns into a street party. Kind of fun if you like that kind of scene.

If you are into dining, relaxing in a beautiful location, or golf, you can stay engaged on the island for several days. However it is not the kind of place where the neat stuff comes to you. If you just want to visit the grand, tour the fort, buy some fudge, and ride a bicycle around the island trail, than a day is plenty. Personally i never really loved the island until I attended a conference there and stayed for several days. It is also nice to go at the end of the season. A bit chilly, but the people who live there have time to be lot more friendly and open about life on the island.

There are many remarkable places in the immediate area as well. Taq. falls deserves a day. The trail from lower to upper falls is long and rigorous, but really beautiful. You can wander out into the lower falls and have a picnic sitting on/in a small waterfall. Awesome on a hot day.

Old 08-07-2022, 07:17 AM

2,428 posts, read 5,544,806 times
There are lots of VRBO/AirBnBs on Paradise Lake in Carp Lake that are less than a 10 minute drive to the ferries in Mackinaw City. A day in Mackinac is enough unless you are splurging and enjoying the luxury of the Grand Hotel.

Old 08-07-2022, 07:38 AM

1,459 posts, read 1,400,393 times
And a bit of Great Lakes history - Whitefish Point and museum of the last bits of recovery of the Edmund Fitzgerald. One of my son's was on the Arthur Anderson which was following the Fitz. They searched and found only a few life jackets but no bodies.

https://www.shipwreckmuseum.com/ship...h-point-light/

Last edited by OneDawg; 08-07-2022 at 07:40 AM.. Reason: Spelling

Old 08-08-2022, 09:17 AM

7,072 posts, read 9,612,877 times
The Pellston airport is an option.

St. Ignace is best for hotels.

Do NOT stay at any hotels in Mackinaw City. There is a scandal going on there because of an unscrupulous hotel owner in the city who owns most of the hotels there. Basically, they take your hotel deposit money and then inform you at the last minute your room is not available. This is being investigated by the Michigan state attorney general.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan