Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2022, 03:08 PM

4 posts, read 4,219 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone,
So my family wanting a move to get away from the triple digits summer. I have my wife, 2yr old and 6month old. It appears if we move grandma grandpa coming too. Wanting to know what are good towns to raise a family, and job opportunities?
Currently an electrician for the city, and former diesel mechanic. As a mechanic been 3 years since it was a profession but it’s a hobby when family is sleeping.
As a diesel tech I don’t know about certification requirements to increase my chances in landing employment. I went to school at our local community college for diesel tech and received an Associates. As an electrician just have my IMSA certificates.
Thank you in advance. Any information will be app
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2022, 05:58 PM

5,294 posts, read 6,060,659 times
Where in Michigan are you looking to live? What things aside from a job are important in the area you live? Do you want to live by water, do you want to live in a larger city etc.. Need a bit more details about those kind of things and folks can help you drill down a little more.

Old 06-29-2022, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjlo View Post
Where in Michigan are you looking to live? What things aside from a job are important in the area you live? Do you want to live by water, do you want to live in a larger city etc.. Need a bit more details about those kind of things and folks can help you drill down a little more.
Oh thank you, mainly where there’s more families, so kids have easier time making friends. Education is a plus. Nearby the water will be great. Hiking and camping we enjoy the most. Where the kids enjoy being outside more and when weather permits it.

Old 06-30-2022, 08:53 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,793,239 times
Electricians are in high demand. Are you a journeyman?

You will probably have to identify an area that you prefer then ask for family friendly cities in that area.

Michigan has different areas which offer very different atmosphere.

SE Michigan is the main population center and where the major cities and jobs with big companies are. It is more suburban/city life with lots of cultural opportunities (theater,museums, universities, sport teams, dining opportunities, etc.). Lots of suburbs and small and medium sized towns plus Detroit. Also Ann Arbor which is a really pretty college town.

SW Michigan is smaller, centers around Lake Michigan and the beaches, and is heavily infested by Chicago. Grand Rapids is a fairly major city with several universities and quite a few cultural opportunities, plus a decent sized airport. The West side of the state is prettier, cleaner, and more open, but has less going on. Heavily Dutch population. Some areas are still not very accepting of people who are not dutch, but those areas are growing fewer and less stringent. Somewhat touristy. Slower pace of life.

South Central Michigan is mostly flat, farms and small towns. Central Mihigan is also mostly rural with some small towns and a few cities. It is not as pretty as most of the rest of Michigan and get a lot of flooding. But it is cheaper.

Northeastern Michigan is centered on Lake Huron and the Au Sable river. It is mostly small towns. It is flatter and much of it is somewhat swampy, but it is very pretty with lots of forests and beautiful beaches. Not a lot of industry or culture, but there are a few significant Cities (Saginaw, Bay City) and Midland is also nearby). This is my personal favorite part of the state because it is less popular as a get away place so not so touristy and less busy. Between the national forest along the Au Sable river and the beautiful beach at Oscota I am not sure what more you could want.

Northwestern Michigan is extremely beautiful. One of the most beautiful places in the Country. Dunes, forests, beaches, inland lakes and rivers, and really pretty little towns. There are also some small ski hills. This area is primarily focused on tourism. Some towns almost shut down in the winter.

The Upper Peninsula. Mostly empty. Huge forests. Rivers with waterfalls. Lots of wildlife. Very rural. A few small cities and tiny towns. The UP is breathtakingly beautiful. Heavily forested. Water all around and rivers winding through the middle. Waterfalls. Loads of wildlife. Few people. The lake Superior waterfront is varied and stunning. However the water is very cold. Short cool summers, long winters. Snow is measured in feet not inches. The people who live here (called Yoopers) are quirky but generally awesome. Tourism and hunting are the major industries. Also mining and logging. Lots of snowmobiling int he winter. A few small cities. Marquette - another college town, is near perfect IMO.

All areas have lots of small lakes and rivers of all sizes. You are always near water here and can choose to live on the water if you can afford it (or you can live on the water in a more rural area). Eventually, many residents buy some land "Up North" and typically build a cabin or small home (or buy one). Most people vacation "up north" at least once a year. Where "up north" starts is subject to many different opinions.

Your first step is to figure out where in Michigan you want to be. It is a big state. The Porcupine Mountains are a ten hour drive from Metro Detroit.

Old 06-30-2022, 03:25 PM

1,589 posts, read 1,189,044 times
It's funny. Used to be that having a degree in technology was the ticket, but even after I got one, I watched electricians/plumbers/framers, etc. having a great life, doing hands-on work. Not gonna lie, I was a little envious.

Op has the skills; once he finds his 'place', he should do well here!! I could sure use the guidance of a plumber right now.

Old 06-30-2022, 10:28 PM

9,398 posts, read 8,873,269 times
Grand Rapids, if you don’t mind snow. Really a nice medium sized metro with all the attributes of a larger city. Kind of a much smaller version of Detroit or Chicago with fewer problems.

Old 07-04-2022, 05:52 PM

Been looking at Grand Rapids and Holland. Currently not a journeyman, looking over a few areas. Seems good idea to work on getting journeyman license. Kids are small that it is too soon to figure what they will like. So far children’s museum and local park is good for them. Will be tough but somewhere that we can get by till wife finds work. Wife always wanted a white Xmas so I feel she will adapt to the snow.

Old 07-06-2022, 12:36 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,793,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by medic4.life.jr View Post
Been looking at Grand Rapids and Holland. Currently not a journeyman, looking over a few areas. Seems good idea to work on getting journeyman license. Kids are small that it is too soon to figure what they will like. So far children’s museum and local park is good for them. Will be tough but somewhere that we can get by till wife finds work. Wife always wanted a white Xmas so I feel she will adapt to the snow.

The west Side of the state is quite pretty. The further north you go, the nicer it gets, particularly because you get further away from the Chicago invasion. You will notice the difference, among other things when you see a lot less litter on the beaches. You then know you have gotten far enough out to escape Chicago. The problem is there are fewer jobs as you get away from Grand Rapids. If you do not want to be on Lake Michigan, you will find better deals and less Chicago as you move inland. You might even get a place on a river, stream or lake.

Old 07-08-2022, 08:55 PM

125 posts, read 100,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
Electricians are in high demand. Are you a journeyman?

You will probably have to identify an area that you prefer then ask for family friendly cities in that area.

Michigan has different areas which offer very different atmosphere.

SE Michigan is the main population center and where the major cities and jobs with big companies are. It is more suburban/city life with lots of cultural opportunities (theater,museums, universities, sport teams, dining opportunities, etc.). Lots of suburbs and small and medium sized towns plus Detroit. Also Ann Arbor which is a really pretty college town.

SW Michigan is smaller, centers around Lake Michigan and the beaches, and is heavily infested by Chicago. Grand Rapids is a fairly major city with several universities and quite a few cultural opportunities, plus a decent sized airport. The West side of the state is prettier, cleaner, and more open, but has less going on. Heavily Dutch population. Some areas are still not very accepting of people who are not dutch, but those areas are growing fewer and less stringent. Somewhat touristy. Slower pace of life.

South Central Michigan is mostly flat, farms and small towns. Central Mihigan is also mostly rural with some small towns and a few cities. It is not as pretty as most of the rest of Michigan and get a lot of flooding. But it is cheaper.

Northeastern Michigan is centered on Lake Huron and the Au Sable river. It is mostly small towns. It is flatter and much of it is somewhat swampy, but it is very pretty with lots of forests and beautiful beaches. Not a lot of industry or culture, but there are a few significant Cities (Saginaw, Bay City) and Midland is also nearby). This is my personal favorite part of the state because it is less popular as a get away place so not so touristy and less busy. Between the national forest along the Au Sable river and the beautiful beach at Oscota I am not sure what more you could want.

Northwestern Michigan is extremely beautiful. One of the most beautiful places in the Country. Dunes, forests, beaches, inland lakes and rivers, and really pretty little towns. There are also some small ski hills. This area is primarily focused on tourism. Some towns almost shut down in the winter.

The Upper Peninsula. Mostly empty. Huge forests. Rivers with waterfalls. Lots of wildlife. Very rural. A few small cities and tiny towns. The UP is breathtakingly beautiful. Heavily forested. Water all around and rivers winding through the middle. Waterfalls. Loads of wildlife. Few people. The lake Superior waterfront is varied and stunning. However the water is very cold. Short cool summers, long winters. Snow is measured in feet not inches. The people who live here (called Yoopers) are quirky but generally awesome. Tourism and hunting are the major industries. Also mining and logging. Lots of snowmobiling int he winter. A few small cities. Marquette - another college town, is near perfect IMO.

All areas have lots of small lakes and rivers of all sizes. You are always near water here and can choose to live on the water if you can afford it (or you can live on the water in a more rural area). Eventually, many residents buy some land "Up North" and typically build a cabin or small home (or buy one). Most people vacation "up north" at least once a year. Where "up north" starts is subject to many different opinions.

Your first step is to figure out where in Michigan you want to be. It is a big state. The Porcupine Mountains are a ten hour drive from Metro Detroit.
Michigan is a great place and coldjensens wrote a great little summary. I spent a good chunk of my life in West Michigan. No complaints.

Old 07-08-2022, 08:58 PM

125 posts, read 100,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
The west Side of the state is quite pretty. The further north you go, the nicer it gets, particularly because you get further away from the Chicago invasion. You will notice the difference, among other things when you see a lot less litter on the beaches. You then know you have gotten far enough out to escape Chicago. The problem is there are fewer jobs as you get away from Grand Rapids. If you do not want to be on Lake Michigan, you will find better deals and less Chicago as you move inland. You might even get a place on a river, stream or lake.
Once again. On point info here imo. Lots of nice communities within a half hour to an hour of the big towns like grand rapids.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan