Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2022, 11:01 PM

10,481 posts, read 25,275,556 times

Advertisements

Gratiot Township. I get the township part, the first part I do believe I am butchering the name. It is also a street in either Warren or Clinton Township or Mount Clemens.

Sebewaing.

I am asking because we are moving to Michigan before the end of the year or early next year. My husbands home state. Luckily for me, I was born in the next state over, Ohio. I have been gone from there for a lifetime.

Having a very difficult time finding a home to buy, so will probably rent first. Want to be away from the towns and all the people. The older we get, the more peace we want. As long as the town has one grocery store and a post office, even if the post office is a little kiosk inside the store is fine. We are mainly looking in the thumb area. Above Warren/Clinton Twp, up to Port Austin.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2022, 12:11 AM

2,531 posts, read 3,096,958 times
Gratiot: GRAA-shet (short “a” as in “Brad.”)

Sebewaing: SEE-beh-wing.

Old 06-03-2022, 05:24 AM

8,409 posts, read 7,402,622 times
Gratiot - rhymes with "Crash it".

Old 06-03-2022, 05:30 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,764,742 times
You will have a lot of pronunciation to learn Mackinac Bridge and island are pronounced the same as Mackinaw city. Charlevoix (Charlie Voy), Wyandotte (why and dot), Grosse Ile (Grosse Eel), dequindre (dee quin dur), Sault St, Marie (sue saint marie), Ypsilanti (ispi or ip sill lan tee) There are many more. Probably a hundred

Old 06-03-2022, 10:00 AM

645 posts, read 1,538,346 times
How bout:

Ocqueoc

Lachine

Au Gres

Ossineke

Old 06-03-2022, 10:18 AM

8,409 posts, read 7,402,622 times
Fortunately, the Michigan Department of Labor and Opportunity has a web page that provide the correct pronunciation for many Michigan city names.

https://www.michigan.gov/leo/bureaus...-in-michigan#A

Ocqueoc (ÔK-kē-ôk)

Lachine (lə-SHĒN)

Au Gres (Ō GRĀ)

Ossineke (ä-sin-ĒK)

Old 06-03-2022, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkString View Post
Having a very difficult time finding a home to buy, so will probably rent first. Want to be away from the towns and all the people. The older we get, the more peace we want. As long as the town has one grocery store and a post office, even if the post office is a little kiosk inside the store is fine. We are mainly looking in the thumb area. Above Warren/Clinton Twp, up to Port Austin.
I hear you about housing. I have taken two extended trips to the mid north east and far north east of the LP, mainly hugging the coast and it is so frustrating, especially for rentals. There were none available anywhere, let alone trying to find a detached home - And talk about not a lot of people... It was absolutely joyous, and I swear I was back in WA state with how it looked... I most appreciated how unbelievably clean everywhere was, how laid-back and unhurried, and most of all the quietness and peacefulness. There are about 140-150 million more people in the USA since I arrived, and it surely feels and sounds like it.

I have been actively looking at the thumb area too, and need to make a trip to see what the vibe is... I hope and believe this entire housing mess will let up after awhile. Good luck.

Old 06-03-2022, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djmilf View Post
Fortunately, the Michigan Department of Labor and Opportunity has a web page that provide the correct pronunciation for many Michigan city names.

https://www.michigan.gov/leo/bureaus...-in-michigan#A

Ocqueoc (ÔK-kē-ôk)

Lachine (lə-SHĒN)

Au Gres (Ō GRĀ)

Ossineke (ä-sin-ĒK)
Appreciate the help, thanks.

Old 06-03-2022, 11:57 AM

271 posts, read 293,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djmilf View Post
Gratiot - rhymes with "Crash it".
As many a '50s dad said to his kids before they took the family car out to go "cruising": Don't crash it on Gratiot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkString View Post

There are plenty of little towns in the Thumb that I think would suit you. Look into Lapeer, Imlay City, Caro, Bad Axe (not to be confused with Bad Ass), Sandusky, and Capac. However, I'm not sure how much is available for rent. It's a rural area and I'm not aware of apartment buildings but there might be some houses and trailers for rent. In terms of grocery stores, I hope you're not expecting Whole Foods and Trader Joe's. If you're fine with IGA, you'll fit right in. And know the Thumb is a very conservative place, for good or bad.

Old 06-04-2022, 05:04 PM

6,451 posts, read 3,967,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
You will have a lot of pronunciation to learn Mackinac Bridge and island are pronounced the same as Mackinaw city. Charlevoix (Charlie Voy), Wyandotte (why and dot), Grosse Ile (Grosse Eel), dequindre (dee quin dur), Sault St, Marie (sue saint marie), Ypsilanti (ispi or ip sill lan tee) There are many more. Probably a hundred
Not to mention the ones Michigan doesn't pronounce the standard way-- Charlotte, Buena Vista Twp, Lake Orion, Milan...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan