Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-03-2022, 09:59 AM

13 posts, read 18,514 times

Advertisements

Are they safe? run down? growing? desirable?

Coloma
Stevensville
Bridgman
Sawyer
Baroda
Berrien Springs
Buchanan
Three Oaks

Looking for towns where we could find a home on about .5-2 acres of wooded land in a place with access to amenities. We're planning a trip to the general area soon; where should we concentrate our search?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2022, 05:41 PM

14 posts, read 30,893 times
Prices tend to be lower north and east of the St. Joseph River.

Old 05-18-2022, 05:49 PM

14 posts, read 30,893 times
The whole coastal area from St. Joseph to New Buffalo is growing and costly. Check out the Berrien Springs, Buchanan and Three Oaks area. The Palisades Nuclear Plant by Covert is closing, loss of jobs for those living in that area north of Coloma and Watervliet, may depress real estate prices.

Old 05-19-2022, 12:51 PM

174 posts, read 243,464 times
My aunt and uncle live in Coloma. They raised their kids in St Joseph but moved to Coloma once they became empty nesters.

They love it. You have very easy access to larger lots in those areas. They own 3-4 acre wooded lot about 1-2 miles outside town.

My Aunt said the reason they liked it was access. Where they are located they can be at Lake Michigan in about 10 minutes. If they want a bigger beach, though they prefer private, smaller ones, they can get into towns like South Haven, St Joe and others pretty easily. There are other lakes in area that are smaller for fishing and such that are not far at all.

They can hop on 94 East to get to Ann Arbor/Detroit very easily/quickly in a few hours like when my cousin used to live in that area. They can also hop on 94 West and be in Chicago in a few hours. Want to get to Indy it's not hard to take US-31 or 94 to 65 and be in Indianapolis in 3 hours.

They don't like driving on interstates much so only do that when they have to travel to those cities, which isn't that often, but they have that option nearby. They also are getting on in age and have several hospital options that are not too far a drive.

I can tell you from visits that once off the interstate it's a small town, feels bigger than others you mentioned, but is small. It also has the rural feel very quickly without lots of traffic. Quaint downtown and though no Kroger or big end grocery store they have Dollar General for any quick needs. My aunt likes going to the Meijer in South Haven (20 min north) when she does her big shopping.

All that said it's cheaper in Coloma area in comparison to being closer to Lake Michigan. You also won't have as many tourists in warm months like you would any of the towns along or near the Lake. Coloma has always been safe when I've visited and they've not had any issues.

As for desirable it is not the next up and coming town. You will not see an explosion of growth there, it will be much smaller and in increments. However, I don't think it's run down at all. In fact if you drive around Big or Little Paw Paw Lake you'll see some really nice homes that are kept in good condition. It's very scenic. It also has a 3 screen movie theatre downtown and a couple of restaurants so again you have some options in town for entertainment.

I really don't know much about any of the other towns so I can't compare them for you, but hopefully that gives you a little perspective on Coloma at least.

Old 07-18-2022, 02:09 PM

5 posts, read 13,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by birch85 View Post
Are they safe? run down? growing? desirable?

Coloma
Stevensville
Bridgman
Sawyer
Baroda
Berrien Springs
Buchanan
Three Oaks

Looking for towns where we could find a home on about .5-2 acres of wooded land in a place with access to amenities. We're planning a trip to the general area soon; where should we concentrate our search?

Thanks!

I'd be wary of Buchanan because it is part of the South Bend metro area, which to put as gently as possible, has seen its better days. With few exceptions, stay close to Lake Michigan (Benton Harbor is gentrifying, and Muskegon Heights is awful) you will do fine.

Go further east and the lake-effect snows kick in until they start abating near Sturgis and Battle Creek. Go inland and the towns get dumpy. Except for Buchanan you have lots of people from Chicago thinking much the same, and bringing Chicago prices with them.

Old 05-09-2023, 07:12 PM

157 posts, read 124,868 times
Chicago only being 90 minutes away from say New Buffalo and (a little bit further) from Berrien Springs will drive up the real estate prices really high because people want to buy getaway vacation homes.

Old 10-02-2023, 04:07 PM

24 posts, read 64,813 times
Stevensville is starting to get an up-and-coming vibe.

Old 10-14-2023, 04:21 AM
Status: "Hello Darlin, Nice to see you - Conway Twitty" (set 5 days ago)

792 posts, read 372,092 times
Coloma - has access to amenities, nice area - be careful not to go too far N. You will see your money get more but Covert for example tends to be highly agricultural (e.g. blueberries) with lots of migrant workers. Paw Paw to the E is really nice.

Stevensville - nice, probably the nicest on the list in terms of year round living on the lake (good schools) but definitely small town vibe but would be perfect for someone like me that appreciates small towns. Definitely enough amenities - this would be my pick on your list.

Bridgman - nice, seasonal, my favorite public beach (Waco) in the SW corner (sorry St. Joe), not as nice as Stevensville but a good second choice.

Sawyer - not too familiar with Sawyer, I see it driving been there but never really go there and do not know anyone that lives there. It blends in with the larger towns IMO.

Baroda - similar to Sawyer, not overly familiar with it - seems like a seasonal beach community more than anything.

Berrien Springs - you can find good places w/acreage here - they have the town then the unincorporated parts. If you wanted to upsize the amount of land you are looking for this would be the place.

Buchanan - I do not mind Buchanan, its Michigan but isn't bad. They have a dispensary and the town is decorated for holidays, etc. I would call it middle of the road but it is actually larger than some of the towns you put on your list above and proximity to the SB area is a plus for some depending on your career.

Three Oaks - small town, close but still inland. I always liked Three Oaks, not as seasonal as lake shore towns. Property has gotten expensive, I assume because of Chicago commuters that want the country life - even if you go further East to Galien. Used to be as recently as mid 2010's you could get 80 acres for a 150-200K, now it would be 500K or more. It is also beautiful if you go South a few miles, rolling hills, wooded. If you are looking for a couple acres, wooded and secluded look near the state line directly S - easy access to commute and stunning scenery.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan