Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-21-2008, 11:01 AM

760 posts, read 2,440,330 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefly View Post
Jeeg - I was just out at that very beach near Marquette two days ago. Our's were the only footprints on the whole beach. The tides were crashing into each other in between Little Presque Isle and the beach.
That's one of our ultimate favorite spots (that is easily accessible to us anyhow). We go out there frequently and I think the most people I have ever seen there was a weekend last July when there were 12 people out there. Usually we are alone or only a couple others.
I have only once seen another family with little ones there so if you see a big guy, his wife, and two toddlers running around..... it's probably me!

(I agree with the rest of your thoughts regarding Michigan's beauty and perception problems too)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2008, 11:13 AM

550 posts, read 2,051,930 times
these photos are from mackinac island from last summer
the photo of the pine trees (and the dark person) and the lake is Long Lake in Cheboygan...
i cant wait to come home in june and july!!

the sunset is from city beach/gordon turner park in cheboygan on lake huron
Attached Thumbnails
Pics of  Spectacular Michigan-2005_0902image0146.jpg   Pics of  Spectacular Michigan-2005_0902image0147.jpg   Pics of  Spectacular Michigan-2005_0902image0152.jpg   Pics of  Spectacular Michigan-2006_0714image0074.jpg   Pics of  Spectacular Michigan-2006_0714image0083.jpg  

Pics of  Spectacular Michigan-2006_0825image0047.jpg  

Old 05-21-2008, 11:27 AM

9,376 posts, read 11,941,545 times
Great pics! Takes your breath away especially being there!

Old 05-21-2008, 11:36 AM

227 posts, read 794,855 times
These are really great pics. I'm from MI, (sigh, why did I leave?) lol

Old 05-21-2008, 12:32 PM

334 posts, read 1,497,435 times
Thank you for posting the wonderful photos. I am waiting for my house to sell out west and then I will be moving to Michigan. I am actually getting excited to see all these places now....I am going to send this link to my family and friends here, so they will stop asking "Why Michigan??"

Old 05-21-2008, 01:00 PM

211 posts, read 587,742 times
A few more including some winter pics and a pic of one of our most important natural resources, our Michigan wildlife.

Winter Cathedral

Snow on a Beech

Another summertime shot just to warm things back up.

At Anchor.

http://i219.photobucket.com/albums/cc112/Munsterlndr/leelanaufawns.jpg (broken link)
Leelanau Twins

Old 05-21-2008, 01:30 PM

46 posts, read 173,784 times
Thanks to all of you who posted the wonderful pics. They are all spectacular. I grew up in MI (we may be back in MI w/ a job transfer in the future)but lived in Chicago for over 15 years after college. I have converted many Wisconsin (sorry WI) bound people to MI. Everytime I hear Tim Allen's commercial it makes me homesick. At least I get to visit often as my parents live in beautiful North West MI.

Old 05-21-2008, 01:32 PM

11,155 posts, read 15,700,997 times
I've always thought Michigan could redefine itself - perhaps in the way the Ford Rouge Plant did - as the backbone of a new green industrial revolution toward sustainable energies, technologies, building materials, etc... So long as jobs came with it, I think a lot of people across political ideologies would jump on board such a new purpose for the state.

Part of that would be a unified state effort to respect and nurture the vast ecological resources while at the same time nurturing centers of urban culture and vitality. People now have the freedom to live wherever they want. Simply providing jobs, while important, is not enough. A state needs to provide a quality of life, which is a big reason why Michigan is failing. Michigan sold out to the car and reduced itself to the efficiency of getting from one place to the next and providing an income without any regard to nurturing the souls of residents.

With all of its gorgeous coastline and open space, I see no reason why Michigan couldn't be regarded in the same way Colorado is with a little effort. Marquette, where I live, is certainly similar in nature to all the old western mining towns that have been reborn as vibrant cultural centers minutes from extensive open space. A lot of northern cities are. We just happen to have great beaches to go along with it.

Anyway - these pictures just inspire me. Thankfully, I get to live them everyday.

btw - puremichigan.org redirected to the Pure Michigan tourism campaign.

Old 05-21-2008, 01:42 PM

2,969 posts, read 6,942,261 times
Well, as a native Michigander now living in Colorado, I have to say I am doubly lucky to live and have lived in such beautiful places. I can't wait to come back and spend time on Lake Michigan this July!!

Great pics everyone -- keep them coming!!

Old 05-21-2008, 09:34 PM

334 posts, read 1,371,172 times
These are such good pics so far! Michigan is very underrated. I was out in CA and told people where I'm from. When they heard Michigan, they had a "I'm better than you" attitude. Michigan's a nice laid back place, and I love it here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan