Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2015, 08:40 PM
chh

420 posts, read 652,770 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DONNIEANDDONNA417 View Post
Driving too fast..following too closely (which pisses me off)...I slow down deliberately just so they can go around me. Its really not bad driving in the snow...Michigan take such good care of the roads..at least where I live. If everyone would drive CAREFULLY then there will be no problems
Michigan takes good care of your roads? Where do you live?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2015, 02:55 AM

21,097 posts, read 19,699,244 times
I'm amazed at how closely some drivers follow the vehicle in front of them. How the hell do they expect to stop if the person in front of them slams on the brakes or swerves out of control? Maybe if we punished those who crash into others instead of provide them with no-fault insurance, we would have better drivers?

Old 01-10-2015, 05:27 AM

3,830 posts, read 6,729,551 times
There is a video up of the one on I-94. It has solidified my driving slow stance. Thursday night I was going around 50, and people were flying past me at 70/80.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W9fI5M6_XVk&app=desktop

Old 01-10-2015, 05:31 AM

4,861 posts, read 9,306,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chh View Post
Michigan takes good care of your roads? Where do you live?
I assumed she was referring to snow removal, not the actual condition of the roads, and I agree. I've always been impressed with how proactive the state and local municipalities are about keeping the roads passable in bad winter weather, at least in my part of the state. It can't be easy.

Old 01-10-2015, 06:45 AM

544 posts, read 900,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by canudigit View Post
I assumed she was referring to snow removal, not the actual condition of the roads, and I agree. I've always been impressed with how proactive the state and local municipalities are about keeping the roads passable in bad winter weather, at least in my part of the state. It can't be easy.
Obviously not Wayne County.

Old 01-10-2015, 06:55 AM

4,647 posts, read 8,596,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by canudigit View Post
Typically these pile up happen in rural stretches of major freeway where 1) plows don't respond as quickly as in urbanized area and 2) as another poster mentioned, there's often snow drifting onto the freeway due to wind.

Freeway pileups don't typically happen within an urban area at least if there's not some other factor to cause it; usually black ice over a bridge or a blind corner of the freeway.

In Metro Detroit, the freeways are plowed pretty quickly depending on how heavy the snowfall is. Minor car accidents still happen, but massive freeway pileups are pretty infrequent.

Old 01-10-2015, 07:05 AM

3,352 posts, read 2,823,177 times
This is one thing I never understood with all my driving in Michigan winters.....People do drive way too fast... in ice and snow and I just got tired of justifying why I went slow... It was always too slow for someone...You always heard it..."EVERYBODY FORGETS HOW TO DRIVE"..after the first big snow and accidents are all over...no, they don't forget how to drive..they remember going fast because that is all they know...I usually had the few that rode my tail then decided to go around me and stare like I was impeding their way to Starbucks...Last winter was the craziest with roads going east and west snow covered and the north and south were mostly clear...because of the wind...be careful everyone...

Old 01-10-2015, 07:14 AM

3,352 posts, read 2,823,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leroythelion View Post
Obviously not Wayne County.
And Macomb was right behind Wayne....

Old 01-10-2015, 07:14 AM

4,861 posts, read 9,306,196 times
Whenever I get tailgated for driving at a safe speed for the road conditions, I try to remember this: If I speed up to please the idiot behind me and subsequently spin out and end up in a ditch or worse, are they going to stop and help me? Not likely. I do my best to just ignore them and continue at a safe speed. Anyone with half a brain knows that if you have somewhere important to be, like work or a doctor's appointment, you leave extra early when the roads are bad, and if it's something that isn't that important, then just slow down and chill out. You're more like to get there that way anyway.

Old 01-10-2015, 07:15 AM

447 posts, read 495,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by animatedmartian View Post
Typically these pile up happen in rural stretches of major freeway where 1) plows don't respond as quickly as in urbanized area and 2) as another poster mentioned, there's often snow drifting onto the freeway due to wind.

Freeway pileups don't typically happen within an urban area at least if there's not some other factor to cause it; usually black ice over a bridge or a blind corner of the freeway.

In Metro Detroit, the freeways are plowed pretty quickly depending on how heavy the snowfall is. Minor car accidents still happen, but massive freeway pileups are pretty infrequent.
The 193 car crash in Kalamazoo was not in a rural area. It is an area with heavy traffic that gets plowed constantly. The area has also been named one of the worst stretches of interstate for accidents in the country.

Too much traffic and no money to widen the road. They got some federal funding 7 years ago and they widened several miles, but then those funds stopped coming and the construction stopped.

Looks like the Tea Party got it's way. People lose life, limb and property,but they get to save a few dollars.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan