Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2013, 02:04 PM

358 posts, read 1,065,164 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by actinic View Post
Lol, like West Michigan a bit?
Just picking the best cities in Michigan. They all happen to be west.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2013, 02:17 PM

2,567 posts, read 3,638,823 times
This is a tallest midget contest... But probably (Ann Arbor, TC and maybe GR being the only standouts)...

Ann Arbor
Traverse City
Grand Rapids
Grosse Pointe
Birmingham
Holland
Grand Haven
Harbor Springs/Petoskey
Marquette

????

Old 10-18-2013, 02:32 PM

1,433 posts, read 2,986,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyl4rk View Post
Just picking the best cities in Michigan. They all happen to be west.
Kalamazoo over Birmingham, Grosse Point, or Royal Oak? Tell me why.

Old 10-19-2013, 09:27 AM

358 posts, read 1,065,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by actinic View Post
Kalamazoo over Birmingham, Grosse Point, or Royal Oak? Tell me why.
I like walkability, bike-ability, living authentic downtowns, historic houses and buildings, interesting people (hard to define) and I like Lake Michigan beaches and harbors a lot. I prefer to avoid suburbs and car oriented development.

However, I have not spent much time in Birmingham, Gross Point or Royal Oak, I think I have been to each of these places maybe once or twice, so I have to plead ignorance. What I have seen in SE MI that I liked were Woodbridge/Midtown in Detroit, Ann Arbor, Ferndale and Wyandotte. Maybe Chelsea. But none of these places compete with the cities in my list.

Of course, these lists are all based on perspective and opinion and I don't mind if others rank them differently.

Old 10-20-2013, 06:37 AM

2,210 posts, read 3,503,268 times
I hate subjective "best of" lists. The criteria is always fuzzy and I question their statistical validity. They're usually not much more than click bait.

I think making any "best of" or "top 10" cities list is futile because different people have different needs when it comes to where they live. A single person in their 20s looking for a vibrant nightlife will likely be bored to tears in Novi, while a young family with children isn't going to care about the number of nightclubs in a given city.

Old 10-20-2013, 08:10 AM

8,882 posts, read 19,882,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthur Digby Sellers View Post
I hate subjective "best of" lists. The criteria is always fuzzy and I question their statistical validity. They're usually not much more than click bait.

I think making any "best of" or "top 10" cities list is futile because different people have different needs when it comes to where they live. A single person in their 20s looking for a vibrant nightlife will likely be bored to tears in Novi, while a young family with children isn't going to care about the number of nightclubs in a given city.
Exactly. And when they use something like "crime rates?" Well Grand Rapids for instance is probably 20x larger than the city of Novi, and it's a CITY, so it will have an average crime rate higher than Novi. But you can find a lot of neighborhoods in GR that are just as safe if not safer than Novi as well.

Also, why do they rate some of these cities so high because their home values are "78% higher than the State average?" That's not necessarily a good thing. The one thing for certain is that you'll spend more. It doesn't mean it's a good investment.

Old 10-20-2013, 08:11 AM

8,882 posts, read 19,882,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tekkie View Post
If we're doing lists, then here's mine.

1) Detroit - It's far from perfect, but it has all the major sports, some great music venues, good bars, and is relatively bicycle friendly. In 10 years, Detroit could be the next Seattle, Denver, Minneapolis, or other up-and-coming mid-size city.

2) Ann Arbor - College town with lots of smart people, college sports, bars, and dining options. Also, it's very bicycle friendly, which gets points in my book.

3) Grand Rapids - Not nearly as large as Detroit or offering as many amenities, but as Michigan's 2nd largest city, it has a lot of cool offerings. It's also becoming a major micro-brew hub.

4) Royal Oak - What can I say, this is Metro Detroit's place to be for young professionals. And it keeps growing, with new lofts and entertainment options being added every few years.

5) Traverse City - Gorgeous small city off of Lake Michigan with a ton of amenities. Also, lots of great biking.

6) Birmingham - Kind of hoity-toity, but still a pretty nice downtown with lots of amenities. The main movie theater there is pretty cool.

7) Kalamazoo - Cool little college town that's relatively quiet.

8) Muskegon - Beautiful small town off of Lake Michigan.

9) Lansing - State capital with lots of amenities and somewhat of a college-town feel. It's also relatively quiet on the outskirts.

10) Ferndale - Basically Royal Oak, Jr., or Royal Oak for hipsters and gays. Small but thriving downtown.
This. ^^^

Old 10-20-2013, 03:28 PM

4,644 posts, read 4,925,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mavigo View Post
Wooo. My town is number nine and that Victorian mansion is across from the public library! But in all honesty, aside from Ann Arbor and some parts of Royal Oak and East Lansing, those are suburbs not actual cities and are synonymous with monotony and pedestrian inaccessibility. I would name this article "10 best suburban areas in Michigan", aside from Grand Rapids and maybe Traverse city, there really are no actual cities to live in in this state (Detroit, Flint and those other embarrassments don't count).
Last time I was there, Midland (the OP's list's #1) isn't the suburb or anything. Just cornfields between there and Bay City or Saginaw

Old 10-21-2013, 11:14 AM

428 posts, read 1,084,666 times
I would add Birmingham, Traverse City, Petoskey, charlevoix.
Heck, most towns Up North and NW!

Old 10-21-2013, 11:21 AM

893 posts, read 1,209,433 times
6. Grand Blanc = your list is invalid. Nothing in the Flint area is "best [anything]" in Michigan.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan