Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2013, 01:16 PM

893 posts, read 1,208,196 times

Advertisements

Sorry to burst your bubble, but "close knit community with Midwest values" does NOT describe what Detroit is like.

However, "the best parts of Oakland county (Birmingham, Bloomfield Hills) are comparable to the worst parts of LA" is not true at all either. Oakland county is one of the wealthiest areas in the entire country. I think it would rival Malibu and Beverly Hills if you want to compare it to LA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2013, 01:38 PM

3,082 posts, read 5,441,209 times
Parts of the metro area are thriving.

Royal Oak, Birmingham, Ferndale, Ann Arbor (if that counts), Plymouth, Northville, and Novi all have thriving downtown areas. Heck, we went to watch the UofM game in downtown Ferndale last Saturday and couldn't find parking downtown because it was so busy. I told my friend that they are going to need to build a parking garage there very soon.

I don't think you're going to find many metro areas quite like Metro Detroit. The major city is mostly dead with the exception of a few small areas and the suburbs are all extremely independent of one another. There is no regional transportation authority or spectacular public transit system, which helps to keep it that way. Out of all the major cities I've visited, I've never seen one so fragmented and independent from each other. Hopefully that sheds some light on the state of the Metro Detroit region.

Old 09-25-2013, 01:43 PM

7,237 posts, read 12,749,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ram2 View Post
If this is true, why are homes so expensive in Plymouth, Michigan?
Maybe by Michigan standards the housing prices in Plymouth are expensive.

In any event, the gist of PlymouthMI's post was correct. As the auto industry is a lot more leaner/globalized than ever before, the quality of life experienced by those around here post-recession won't be nearly as good as what was had prior to the recession, especially with the passage of Right-to-Work. The region is much poorer (Oakland County is no longer one of the wealthiest counties in the country and Macomb County has become one gigantic bedroom community of bitter Reagan Democrats), the major city is (more or less) "dead" in comparison to other major cities (see Tekkie's post), and it has experienced a fairly massive drain of young/educated people. Considering the aforementioned, it's no wonder the generation in their young adulthood now just doesn't have the same warm/fuzzy feeling about Detroit/Michigan that prior generations do.

Last edited by 313Weather; 09-25-2013 at 01:51 PM..

Old 09-25-2013, 05:25 PM

4,861 posts, read 9,316,758 times
OP, if this is indeed a serious thread, then you need to come and visit the area before believing everything that you are told. There are parts of Oakland County that, for lack of a better description, look like the Hamptons, minus the beach. Seriously, cities like Birmingham and Bloomfield Hills are much more the equivalent of Beverly Hills than "the worst parts of LA". There is still great wealth in Metro Detroit, come visit, drive around for a day or two, and see for yourself.

As for Detroit itself, I think this is a time to be optimistic about the possibilities more than any other time in recent history. Bankruptcy is forcing the city to dissect itself, which is a necessity because you will never fix what you refuse to admit is broken. There is great momentum in Downtown and Midtown, and more and more people are moving back to these areas and living and working in the "D"...and loving it!

Not that everything is paradise, obviously it isn't, but it also isn't the gigantic, burned out, war zone that the national media has sadly convinced a lot of unknowing Americans that it is.

Truly: Come and visit before making a rash decision. Oakland County is not what you are being led to believe that it is. Mansions, scenic lakes, and upscale shopping and dining are all there, along with safe, family-oriented middle class neighborhoods. Most people only dream of living in places like Birmingham and Bloomfield Hills. Come on out and see why!

Old 09-25-2013, 07:39 PM

2,990 posts, read 5,285,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by canudigit View Post
OP, if this is indeed a serious thread, then you need to come and visit the area before believing everything that you are told. There are parts of Oakland County that, for lack of a better description, look like the Hamptons, minus the beach. Seriously, cities like Birmingham and Bloomfield Hills are much more the equivalent of Beverly Hills than "the worst parts of LA". There is still great wealth in Metro Detroit, come visit, drive around for a day or two, and see for yourself.

As for Detroit itself, I think this is a time to be optimistic about the possibilities more than any other time in recent history. Bankruptcy is forcing the city to dissect itself, which is a necessity because you will never fix what you refuse to admit is broken. There is great momentum in Downtown and Midtown, and more and more people are moving back to these areas and living and working in the "D"...and loving it!

Not that everything is paradise, obviously it isn't, but it also isn't the gigantic, burned out, war zone that the national media has sadly convinced a lot of unknowing Americans that it is.

Truly: Come and visit before making a rash decision. Oakland County is not what you are being led to believe that it is. Mansions, scenic lakes, and upscale shopping and dining are all there, along with safe, family-oriented middle class neighborhoods. Most people only dream of living in places like Birmingham and Bloomfield Hills. Come on out and see why!
Oakland County isn't the only nice area in SE Michigan by a longshot and housing prices have dropped preciputously.

Old 09-25-2013, 07:42 PM

8,882 posts, read 19,864,438 times
No.

Old 09-25-2013, 08:23 PM

1,317 posts, read 1,944,440 times
Housing prices were at unrealistic prices 10 years ago anyways.

Old 09-26-2013, 08:16 AM

4,861 posts, read 9,316,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnynonos View Post
Oakland County isn't the only nice area in SE Michigan by a longshot and housing prices have dropped preciputously.
I'm not sure whose post you were reading, but I never stated that Oakalnd County is the only nice area in SE Michigan, in fact, I live in a small farming community about an hour from Detroit that is nowhere near Oakland County and I think it is a wonderful place to live, as are many, many parts of SE Michigan that are outside of Oakland County. I was only making the point about Oakland County because that is where the OP's job offer is located and where he/she would consider living if he/she accepted it.If they had inquired about my community, or any of many other communities that make life here so good, I would have gladly extolled their virtues as well.

I also mentioned nothing about housing prices, reason being that if you haven't noticed, housing prices have dropped everywhere in the United States since the Great Recession. Case in point: In 2011, we were able to purchase a beautiful oceanside condo in South Carolina via short sale for $135,000 that sold in 2008 for $484,000, and that is in the Sunbelt and on the beach, in an area that people would tend to consider highly desirable. Find me the place where housing prices didn't drop in some capacity along with the terrible economy and housing market crash. Oakland County is no different than anywhere else in that regard, and that in no way indicates that the quality of the housing went down because of it.

Old 09-26-2013, 02:14 PM

915 posts, read 1,507,037 times
Metro Detroit is far from dead.

Oakland County still has a AAA rating because of how well it manages its finances.

Old 09-27-2013, 05:44 AM

339 posts, read 976,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snoopygirlmi View Post
Metro Detroit is far from dead.

Oakland County still has a AAA rating because of how well it manages its finances.

I don't know if the OP is even reading anymore but even Macomb County has a AAA bond rating and is less affluent than Oakland County, so is not like the entire metro region does not know how to manage the finances.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan