Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2010, 02:13 PM

8,733 posts, read 15,940,154 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DONNIEANDDONNA417 View Post
Its getting too crowded for me. I have lived here all my life and never really meet people actually from here anymore. The traffic is horrible...its too hot. The schools are terrible. people are getting killed practically everyday. I can't find a good church because they are too overcrowded with hypocrites. Bills are horrendous....I have a water bill over 300.00 per month...light bill over $300 per month. Its hard making a living and we cant really entertain ourselves. Thats just just part of it.

Overall I will miss atlanta. I have had some good times here and all my family lives here. Also I have always had a good job.

by the way my name is Donna...my husband's name is Donnie
No doubt , it is an expensive city to live in ...in the South. We always enjoyed our monthly trips down there for shopping and upscale friends. Hard to beat the big malls, and the speciality stores....and the culture. I always considered Atlanta kinda like a Chicago in the South...but I soon found out it was not. Nice place to visit, and do some business , but I would not want to live there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2010, 05:36 PM

6,326 posts, read 6,590,988 times
Pros, you can buy 30 acres + livable house in the lower third of MI (moderate climate, good soils, plenty of water, sufficient population density not to be a hermit), 50 miles from lakes, next to public lands for $100,000. Cons, you have to have $100,000 + independent means of subsistence . If I win a lottery, NW Michigan quarter here I come . I may think about moving to upstate NY though.

Old 08-31-2010, 06:16 PM

183 posts, read 467,603 times
Quote:
Its getting too crowded for me. I have lived here all my life and never really meet people actually from here anymore. The traffic is horrible...its too hot. The schools are terrible. people are getting killed practically everyday. I can't find a good church because they are too overcrowded with hypocrites. Bills are horrendous....I have a water bill over 300.00 per month...light bill over $300 per month. Its hard making a living and we cant really entertain ourselves. Thats just just part of it.

Overall I will miss atlanta. I have had some good times here and all my family lives here. Also I have always had a good job.

by the way my name is Donna...my husband's name is Donnie
Sorry about that...

Ok, I might be relocating to Atlanta...

Old 09-01-2010, 07:19 PM

850 posts, read 1,898,619 times
grand blanc is a nice town but a little snobbish imo. one good thing they have going though is an organic crop share, hope more things like this pop up. i hear the schools are good, but maybe be leery of the charter school there, haven't heard the best things about that.

Nature's Pace Organics | Timeless Synergy

Old 09-01-2010, 07:59 PM

1,225 posts, read 2,420,579 times
Donna , the western part of the state is doing better than east for the most part.
Have you considered Grand Rapids area.? This is where I go periodically to visit family. We do often go to Detroit and there is no comparison imo. One of my best friends is from Flynt and let me tell you he doesnt speak highly of it. Also I lived in Atlanta for many years and know what you mean. I finally got out of there and moved to Virginia . We actually have no toyed around with the idea to one day moving to GR though, although i will need to get used to the heavy snow. Western part of state gets a lot more snow due to the lake affect just fyi.

Old 09-02-2010, 06:43 PM

336 posts, read 908,462 times
I'm from Flint and don't love it, but it's not as bad as some people make it seem. Actually, downtown Flint is getting pretty cool with University of Michigan Flint expanding. The new apartments at the refurbished Durant look gorgeous!

Grand Blanc is pretty bland, upscale, and snooty, but it does have good schools and a fair amount of amenities. I don't see how people can avoid Flint entirely, all the chain restaurants are on the westside.

Old 09-03-2010, 06:07 AM

12,083 posts, read 38,855,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bydamned View Post
I did not know there were any pros to living in the worst state in the Union. Snow, cold, gray in winter which is most of the year, and home prices that are falling like GIs at Normandy beach. What a hole.
Then move, there is a whole World out there awaiting your arrival.

Old 09-05-2010, 02:12 PM

10,854 posts, read 9,301,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bydand View Post
Then move, there is a whole World out there awaiting your arrival.
Exactly, Michigan is a beautiful state with great people. If you don't like it then don't let the door hit you where the dog should have bit you on your way out.

Old 09-05-2010, 08:58 PM

337 posts, read 494,857 times
Quote:
I like the bottle deposit because you always need extra money
This is going to sound really dumb, but the bottle deposit is one of the only things I miss about Michigan. I currently live in the Seattle area and they are very big on recycling out here but yet have no Washington state bottle/can deposit in effect. I've always thought this was a good idea and that more states if not all should implement this policy.

Quote:
Cant wait to see all the snow...our son is going to love it.
If you are not used to snow then it is a treat indeed...for a while. After a few years the winters get old, but it does depend on where in Michigan you live. I grew up exactly one-half mile from the Lake Michigan shoreline and we had what are known as Lake-Effect winters with lots of wind and ice. In other parts of Michigan the temperatures are colder but with less ice or snow. The UP is yet a different story.

Also, just so you know, Michigan has more cloudy days on average during the winter than does the Pacific Northwest. This is due to the Great Lakes. I recall Decembers with no sunny days on record. While this didn't bother me, I do know others who were affected by the lack of sun in the winter.

But for the most part, four distinct seasons are what you will get in Michigan.

Old 09-05-2010, 09:05 PM

8,733 posts, read 15,940,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polymorphist View Post
This is going to sound really dumb, but the bottle deposit is one of the only things I miss about Michigan. I currently live in the Seattle area and they are very big on recycling out here but yet have no Washington state bottle/can deposit in effect. I've always thought this was a good idea and that more states if not all should implement this policy.

If you are not used to snow then it is a treat indeed...for a while. After a few years the winters get old, but it does depend on where in Michigan you live. I grew up exactly one-half mile from the Lake Michigan shoreline and we had what are known as Lake-Effect winters with lots of wind and ice. In other parts of Michigan the temperatures are colder but with less ice or snow. The UP is yet a different story.

Also, just so you know, Michigan has more cloudy days on average during the winter than does the Pacific Northwest. This is due to the Great Lakes. I recall Decembers with no sunny days on record. While this didn't bother me, I do know others who were affected by the lack of sun in the winter.

But for the most part, four distinct seasons are what you will get in Michigan.
The Michigan winter cloud cover thing is because of Lake Michigan. WE don't have that problem in Upper Michigan. Many sunny winter days, and the snow is mostly dry powder.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan