Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2012, 03:38 PM

8 posts, read 8,107 times

Advertisements

Being a single woman, seeing what I have seen, I would not raise children here. Hell: I don't expect to find any man here who wants a meaningful relationship!!!!! There is a very strange, seedy hyper sexualized misogynistic culture here which is very objectifying to young women. There are a lot of strip clubs here with very objectifying names like Booby Trap and Club Pink ***** Cat. I am from Chicago originally and there are definitely more strip clubs here. Keeping in tune with the stripper culture here, you will readily see billboards advertising butt lifts and gel implants for $3000 on the highway as you deal with the nightmare traffic here. Its really a culture shock.

Low brow, thug values and a party all the time lifestyle definitely seem to be glorified here. Women here can be sexualized caricatures, dressing very trashy and the men act like Jersey Shore wanna-bes and think they are the hottest thing on Earth. Of course, not everyone, but you do see this enough to notice.

Hispanic culture here is very dominant and borderline racist towards non-Hispanics. More often than not, you will not be addressed in English when you walk into stores. I have had this happen in national stores. I can't tell you how many times I have been ignored when I walked into stores and not even greeted. I have felt like a foreigner in my own country living here. People can be very rude here.

There is a very maschista tendency here which will definitely irritate most women, especially when you watch women interact with men here.

Good customer service here is a gamble. Too many people here work for low wages, are cranky from the persistent mix of heat and humidity, and don't really give a crap about helping you. Calling a taxi for my friend to get to the air port took 4 different companies because either we got an answering machine, the person answering did not speak English, or was so unprofessional when they answered we were disgusted. Finally when we did get someone, it was an argument over the address, when they knew we were not from town so had no way of knowing the difference between street and avenue here. So be prepared to have to deal with argumentative help.

Traffic here is a chaotic mess. If you are in Hialeah, it can easily take you 15 minutes to travel 2 miles. I have encountered traffic snares in other parts of Miami at all times of the day.

The winter can be pretty hot and humid too. Maybe they are freak days but it can be uncomfortable.

Despite the turn offs, there have been some pretty cool things here. For one, the landscape is very pretty. Driving on 95 into Miami Beach, seeing the ocean from the bridge is just beautiful. There can be some very scenic parts of the city.

I also have found it pretty interesting to find so many French speakers here. You can go into Paul's in Miami Beach and order in French. That was pretty cool.

When the humidity lowers a bit, the weather is nice in winter. But it can be very humid here any time of year.

It's also pretty cool to be able to sit outside all year round. Because of this, it is easier to meet with people.

But from what I have seen, Miami is the capital of the third world. It will never, ever be a world class city like New York or Chicago. If you can help it, come to Florida for vacations but not much else.

Old 12-19-2012, 03:29 PM

25 posts, read 46,153 times
mysilvahalo -- Why would revive a two-year-old thread, especially with such an ignorant post? "There are definitely more strip clubs here." Uhhh... did you research strip clubs per capita? Or are you just talking out of your "Booby Trap"? And if you felt so ostracized by all the Hispanics, what were you doing driving around in Hialeah in the first place? Go ahead and move back to Chicago... There's never been any crime or corruption problems there; just whites ordering their Happy Meals in English! The good life!

Old 12-19-2012, 03:39 PM

4,968 posts, read 10,196,322 times
I've yet to see butt implant billboards in Miami.

Old 12-20-2012, 07:03 AM

118 posts, read 372,022 times
That is a spot on assessment of miami. Expect the usual lurkers here to refute you by trying to pick out of context items. No one can refute your overall message.

Old 12-20-2012, 10:29 AM

2,846 posts, read 2,970,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karl_hemingway View Post
That is a spot on assessment of miami. Expect the usual lurkers here to refute you by trying to pick out of context items. No one can refute your overall message.

Old 12-21-2012, 02:09 AM

25 posts, read 46,153 times
So you'd agree that two-year old threads are the appropriate place for an unsolicited rant about how awful Miami is?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami