Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2008, 06:40 PM

5,969 posts, read 9,563,055 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathwhiz View Post
I mean it's not like LA, SF, DC, NY, etc.

Many people from those cities consider Miami cheap.

What makes people feel that it's so expensive is the local job market sucks. The economy is dominated by low-wage service sector type jobs. And much of the lucrative jobs in real estate and finance, banking, are disappearing because of the housing downturn.

Miami right now is a great place to live if you are a bankruptcy attorney or have a lot of northern money to blow for a little while.

It's not a good place to make a life for yourself, let alone raise a family. The schools suck.
If you think Miami wages are low you should come up to orlando and you would be shocked!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2008, 09:54 AM

10 posts, read 29,150 times
I agree that you'll either love or hate Miami. I moved to Coconut Grove from NY in my college years and LOVED it. But there were also things that drove me CRAZY. I can tell you that if I were to ever move back that Coconut Grove is the ONLY place I'd consider living...you can walk to anything and everything is there. It just minutes to downtown, SoBe, Dadeland Mall, South Miami...anywhere that personally I wanted to go. You do need to realize that driving in Miami is everything you've heard...IT SUCKS. People don't know how to drive or the rules of driving. So live close to where you work. Sometimes driving 10 miles can take an hour.

Miami is truly beautiful but some people take it for granted and ruin it for people. The problems I ran into were the same as many people...the spanish. I loved the culture and really embraced it until a certain point. I worked in retail which was a major downfall. I would get screamed at by people in Spanish for not speaking Spanish. Many people who live there have never left and think that America is like Miami everywhere and most people speak spanish. This is not true for all people I do want to make that clear. My friends who were Miami born spoke both but refuse to speak Spanish outside of their home in respect for other people.

I tried to learn the language because I couldn't go to Subway and order a sub. I couldn't order deli meat at the counter at Publix because I didn't speak Spanish. There are certain areas in Miami where it is a major problem. On South Beach I never had a problem since it is a high tourist area.

All in all Miami is beautiful but you need to go with an open mind. It's like another world and it's amazing. You need to be open to new culture's and if you can do that then don't bother you won't last. I hope you can though because it's a gorgeous place!

Old 08-05-2008, 04:41 PM

428 posts, read 1,396,537 times
I had friends in Miami that used to say in spanish: Next weekend I am going to the United States...meaning beyond Florida (or to an english speaking state).

I thought it was so funny cause they were very serious. They dont think they live in the United States. (?!)

Old 08-05-2008, 05:15 PM

167 posts, read 199,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by portorro View Post
I had friends in Miami that used to say in spanish: Next weekend I am going to the United States...meaning beyond Florida (or to an english speaking state).

I thought it was so funny cause they were very serious. They dont think they live in the United States. (?!)
I have friends in Miami that still say next week I am going to the U.S. and they mean just driving North of Pembroke Pines !!!

Old 08-05-2008, 05:21 PM

525 posts, read 1,851,744 times
I would not move there. I just returned from a visit after being gone for over 3yrs. I found Miami to have gotten worse...traffic, busy, noisy and just chaotic.

The problem with Miami is the "vibe" there is something in the air that is awful. The people are nasty and rude...ugh!

Maybe I am just too sensitive or I have been spoiled living in a peaceful area....

Anyhow, everyone is different...if I were you, I would just visit..get a vacation home

Old 08-12-2008, 11:28 AM

27 posts, read 111,161 times
MIAMI BEACH:

I love it!

A few honest tips for you:

1. Bring LOTS of money
2. Don't be overweight - Miami is VERY, VERY, VERY image based.
3. Live on the Beach
4. Learn Spanish
5. Learn about Latin culture and etiquette
6. Drive your car Aggressively - defensive driving is dangerous to your health!
7. Consider living on Key Biscayne, not South Beach, if you have kids
8. Have Fun!

Old 08-12-2008, 12:35 PM

551 posts, read 3,123,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Where2next View Post
I agree that you'll either love or hate Miami. I moved to Coconut Grove from NY in my college years and LOVED it. But there were also things that drove me CRAZY. I can tell you that if I were to ever move back that Coconut Grove is the ONLY place I'd consider living...you can walk to anything and everything is there. It just minutes to downtown, SoBe, Dadeland Mall, South Miami...anywhere that personally I wanted to go. You do need to realize that driving in Miami is everything you've heard...IT SUCKS. People don't know how to drive or the rules of driving. So live close to where you work. Sometimes driving 10 miles can take an hour.

Miami is truly beautiful but some people take it for granted and ruin it for people. The problems I ran into were the same as many people...the spanish. I loved the culture and really embraced it until a certain point. I worked in retail which was a major downfall. I would get screamed at by people in Spanish for not speaking Spanish. Many people who live there have never left and think that America is like Miami everywhere and most people speak spanish. This is not true for all people I do want to make that clear. My friends who were Miami born spoke both but refuse to speak Spanish outside of their home in respect for other people.

I tried to learn the language because I couldn't go to Subway and order a sub. I couldn't order deli meat at the counter at Publix because I didn't speak Spanish. There are certain areas in Miami where it is a major problem. On South Beach I never had a problem since it is a high tourist area.

All in all Miami is beautiful but you need to go with an open mind. It's like another world and it's amazing. You need to be open to new culture's and if you can do that then don't bother you won't last. I hope you can though because it's a gorgeous place!
Good post--this pretty much sums up the reasons why I finally got out of Miami and went back to America. I couldn't take that place anymore! It's such a disaster. The only thing I would add is that Miami isn't really that diverse. It's Latin, Latin, and Latin...with a white person and a Haitian thrown in every once in awhile. The music you hear is always Latin, the food is Latin, things are written in Spanish, and people are speaking Spanish everywhere you turn. This bothers a whole lot of non-Latin people because the city feels waaaaay too foreign/third-world. Basically, it's a nice place to visit, but living there opens up a whole can of problems and frustrations.

Old 08-12-2008, 01:50 PM

6,853 posts, read 22,459,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by portorro View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cane Fan View Post
I have friends in Miami that still say next week I am going to the U.S. and they mean just driving North of Pembroke Pines !!!
Oh that is me, when we visit family in Boca, we say we are going to America.

Old 08-12-2008, 02:25 PM

1,770 posts, read 8,249,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doggiebus View Post
Oh that is me, when we visit family in Boca, we say we are going to America.
Go two cities up to central Palm Beach County and you'll be areas that are far more "third-world" than Kendall, Pembroke Pines, etc. (which to me are just American cities that people consider "third-world" because they have large Hispanic populations).

Old 08-12-2008, 02:39 PM

1,308 posts, read 3,401,890 times
I've been to plenty of non-hispanic homes where the people live just as bad, if not worse than people from the "third world". Lets not generalize, because everyone's crap stinks the same.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami