Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-23-2007, 03:54 AM

5 posts, read 17,206 times

Advertisements

My wife and I have decided to move our family (1 year old baby) from the south of France to (possible) Miami. Salary levels are VERY low at the moment in France, and living where we do (a small town not too far from Nice) the cost of living is still quite high. (€250,000 or about $320,000 for a 700 square foot 2 bedroom apartment. Our family income will probably be around $80-100k until my wife starts working, at which point I hope it will be between $120-$140k, but that won't be until we settle in. We currently live about half a mile from the beach, but we're right next door to small shops and several small grocery stores. I'd like to know if there somewhere in the Miami area where we can afford to have a similar lifestyle. (in other words, we want to be able to walk to the beach, even if it's a long walk, and yet have at least a little bit of life around us.) We don't need lot's of space, we're used to living in something smaller, but we absolutely have to have an apartment where we don't hear our neighbors. (That doesn't mean we can't have neighbors, we just don't want to hear someone else's pumping stereo, or cars drag racing on the street outdoor.)
Is that possible in Miami? (or just around)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2007, 07:17 AM

9,357 posts, read 14,297,668 times
It appears that if you rent at first you may be able to achieve what you're looking for. But you also have to define more precisely what you mean by Miami, the city proper, Dade County, or the Miami area in general meaning also possibly Broward County?

Do you have your own business or will you go to a job in a fixed place?

With more precise information, people on this board may be able to direct you to specific neighborhoods, even renting in certain neighborhoods on Miami Beach, for example.

In any case, generally speaking, with the income figures you mention, by renting at first you should be able to achieve your objectives, but buying, at least at the moment, would pose some significant challenges to the scenario you envision.

Old 01-23-2007, 11:11 AM

2,976 posts, read 13,370,597 times
Default Moving to Miami ....

bale002 is quite correct. Also, you may not want to limit yourself to just Miami. There are other areas which might be more attractive. One area is Delray Beach, Palm Beach county. This area, while evolving and growing, still has retained much of its old charm and is also steps from the beach. It tends to be more quiet, etc.

Then again, Miami Beach has a great many condos. You really have to come and check things out.

Just one word of caution. While we weren't hit with a hurricane this year, one never knows what the future will bring. Coastal areas evacuate when a hurricane approaches and this can be more than just a little unsettling for some.

Good luck.

Old 01-24-2007, 03:45 AM

5 posts, read 17,206 times
"Do you have your own business or will you go to a job in a fixed place?"
Yes. Both. I have my own business, but it's relatively low income at the moment, so I'll be getting a job in the area to start.
To be quite truthful, I really don't know where to move to. My wife has been to Miami, and liked it, but that was years ago, and she has no idea where in the area she was.
We know that we want to move, and that we'd like to have a similar lifestyle to what we have now, so we're looking for areas to move to.
Someone in another thread suggested Houston, Texas, but I'm not too sure. I've been to Dallas in the summer, and it was unbearable, and the people were a bit more close-minded than I'm used to...

Old 01-24-2007, 08:44 AM

57 posts, read 243,982 times
pootul, it sounds like south beach around lincoln mall would be a great choice. very international, a lot of europeans. diverse and liberal. great boutiques and restaurants. it's possible to find a 2-bedroom in an art deco building in that price range. it wouldn't have a pool or a ton of amenities but you will be within 10-15 minutes to one of the most beautiful beaches in the world.

Old 01-24-2007, 09:15 AM

2,976 posts, read 13,370,597 times
"Close to one of the beautiful beaches in the world...." I don't think so. But each to their own opinion. Great for people watching and most of what jdf718 had to say - very cosmopolitan which is great.

The west coast of Florida has the best beaches. I live in the Fort Lauderdale area (just north of Miami) and yes, the beaches are nice, but the west coast has white sand and the gulf -- quite lovely really.

What is your profession?

Old 01-24-2007, 10:06 AM

57 posts, read 243,982 times
I guess it depends on how you define beautiful. As far as sand quality, yes the white sand on the gulf side is a hands down winner. But as far as a public beach with a very nice ocean and an amazing skyline to boot, it's hard to beat. My opinion. Disclaimer: I don't live full-time in the area at the moment but own property there. Certain areas of Ft. Lauderdale or West Palm might be other options for the original poster, especially if you are looking for something quieter. Might not be walking distance to beach but a 5-minute drive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami